Coshocton R6 crash 07-26-09

knicks360

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone getting defensive about that? :wtf:

People are getting defensive because they believe your assessment of the situation is wrong.

I personally got faster by going to the track instead of learning from the faster guys on the street but the same philosophy applies. Trust me if they put you on the track by yourself you wouldn't get to your potential. For most people it takes learning from others and it's the least painful way to do it.

We had several people on this ride who are capable and willing to help others out. When some people came to me suggesting someone might be having issues I went to talk to him first without anyone around, if he would have wanted help or showed more interest in getting help I would have been glad to lead him around for a while until he understood what I was trying to teach him. Adam did that exact thing later in the day. Everyone on this ride had the full support and safety that a group provides.

I think it's safer to ride in groups plus it gives you the opportunity to learn. I went up front and played around for a while and I rode in the back for a while. I enjoy riding towards the front because its fun to utilize the skills that I have acquired because of others helping me. I also enjoy watching others having a good time and discovering things about their riding. Like, wow you can do that and how can you do that safely? In most cases there are answers to those types of questions that can only come from the opportunity a group can give you.

Edited by Uncle Punk

Riding with slow riders keeps you slow. Just look at cruiser owners. :D

Sure sure...blame it on us, we have big shoulders.

first off that fatal has nothing to do with the group of us on this fourm. casey and brian may have been close to him i really dont know but the rest of us werent. im not going any further into details.

Didn't know him well, graduated high school together, work with his widow.

i'm not saying that anyone is but don't knock on us from coshocton just because there are a few bad apples on the tree.

There are bad apples everywhere. I've ridden with some, and heard about others.

OK this is getting out of hand. AGAIN, I'm not saying any of these wrecks were the fault of any of you guys, there just happens to be alot of bike accidents in that area. I would probably blame it on inexperienced riders on unknown roads, but I dont know all of the circumstances.

I was just trying to get the newbs (we have alot of inexperienced riders on here) to think twice before jumping in on a fast paced group ride and trying to hang.

Why is everyone getting defensive about that? :wtf:

I see your point here max. There is no one way to difinitealy improve your riding. If you want to ride with a larger group, and push youself,

coocoo cachu to you. If you want to ride in a smaller group, with folks of the same experience level that is your choice as well. Some people don't learn the same way eveyone else does. Just cuz you think I need to show my work, whats the difference if I get the same answer?

Look gang, we can agree that different people learn in different ways. If it suits you to learn riding with a group of more experienced riders, then there isn't anything necessarily wrong with that. Same thing goes for riding with similar experienced people.

+1

People are getting defensive because they believe your assessment of the situation is wrong.

Not an assessment really, just a different view point.

On that note, the biggest riding group that I have every ridden with was four. All of various skill levels. Mine obviously being the lowest. If you do ride with me, I hope you don't mind waiting. :)

WOW....where to start ...lol...so many opinions so many "accusations" so heres my 2cents...First off Adam...Todd.(and others I dont remember their names).GREAT job keeping everyone in one piece !! Thank you..

This was only my second run thru Coshocton and had an awsome time until my bike produced some unexplained issues !! (BTW..thanks for the push and help guys and sorry to end the run a little early for some of you !!)

There was a time where Uncle Punk and I would run neck and neck until he cheated and took classes (fucker). Now hes on a 600 and me on my pig 12 and I have a hard time keeping up until the exits and straightaways. Now...I DO agree with some in here as far as "the big dick syndrome" goes...NO MATTER WHAT you say to yourself and what others tell you..lets face it, we are ALL men. I have 8 yrs experience on my 12 and know her limits. Knowing MY limits are endless and will take a lifetime to figure out. I STILL will push more than I should at times..just like EVERYONE in here..dont care WHAT you say !! Riding in larger groups will push the limit for people...it's just the "lucky" ones that get away with it !

I started twards the rear alot yesterday and found myself passing alot to get to follow someone that I was comfortable with which was about in the first 1/4 of the pack. I had one "oh shit" trying to pass, gottem on the straight but going in tooo hot for the next corner and was worried about screwing up the guys line I just passed. Laid her into the corner and thought I wasnt gonna make it, ended up about 2 inches from a guardrail with pegs scrapping away. The ONE thing that kept me a little on "reserve" was the blind shit !! Going up a hill at 100mph NOT knowing whats on the other side KILLED me EVERYTIME !!..I see a sign on the side of the road that a street was comming up on the right side (on the other side of the hill) and ALL kinds of shit went through my head in a split second !! Basically NOT knowing the roads was the killer for me.

Hopefully I didnt intimadate anyone in thier mirrors and push them over their limit a bit. If so I apologize, just was trying to gain on ya a bit for the exit pass. There was very little areas to pass in safely and had to take advantage of what was there.

All and all a GREAT time and looking forward to it again before the year is over...Thanks guys

there just happens to be alot of bike accidents in that area.

i dont know where ur getting this from. for the amount of bikes that there are in this town (cruisers,sportbikes,enduros,harleys,goldwings) and there are a lot!! for a small bfe county we dont have that many wrecks, 1 fatal in a year. how many counties have more then that? (recon im counting on ur searching abilites here haha)

im not trying to be a dick or be defensive, but we like meeting new ppl and show ppl our area and roads, and ur telling ppl not to come here like we are going to throw them to the wolves when there have been how many ppl saying that we and myself esp. will ride with u and try my best to help anyone out on riding.

Parks does a good job showing people the ropes.... it's not his fault if they decide to hang themselves with it.

Just don't trust him on food. Those pretzel nuggets were the worst thing ever. I'm lucky I didn't shit myself on the ride home.

Parks does a good job showing people the ropes.... it's not his fault if they decide to hang themselves with it.

Just don't trust him on food. Those pretzel nuggets were the worst thing ever. I'm lucky I didn't shit myself on the ride home.

:lol: I laughed so hard at work.

Honey mustard. And that hardly made them any more edible... You're lucky you have good roads, because the gay bar you sent us to was a bust on munchies. :p

I'd give it another shot... just not those pretzel nuggets. I swear they scraped off the bottom of the deep fryer that cooks the elephant ears at the fair, put salt on them, gave you dipping sauce, and said 'bon appetit'. Tasted like a bad batch of the french toast stix my high school cafeteria used to serve.

I suppose it was my fault for convincing myself that anything on the menu with the word 'nuggets' in it, would be a classy dish.

Pussy...

John, Anonda?, Brian, and I downed a whole batch of those and they were just fine. Dipping sauce was good too but I was getting the hint that cheese sauce would have been better.

:plus1: Hearing about the crashes from today, I will have to wait til next season to try these devil roads. Maybe when I get my upgrade to the 600. I will follow you parks.

Following parks is a good idea.

:lol: sensitive stomach? not used to real food??? :D

Pussy...

John, Anonda?, Brian, and I downed a whole batch of those and they were just fine. Dipping sauce was good too but I was getting the hint that cheese sauce would have been better.

+1 on the cheese sauce. What restaurant doesn't have cheese sauce?

Ok, where to start.... it's me, so I'll start with food! The pretzel nuggets were pretty good but I also hadn't eaten much and was STARVING. Plus i don't think I would want an entire serving, so I'm glad I just got to share with others.

Also, I thought the ride was great, except for the gravel. I understand that you want to keep up with the person ahead of you but I've heard over and over to ride within your own limits and that's what I try to do. Unfortunately, it kept me in the back third of the group but that's ok! I've only been riding for a little over a year and I had never been on Coshocton roads, so I'm cool with keeping toward the back. I thought that Adam, Seth and the guys did a good job with a huge group and they made it work. They mentioned splitting up the invite next time, maybe having CLE people and then CBUS people on another day but we did alright with the big turnout.

I see why Max Power wants to warn the newer riders about this type of ride. If you are trying to rush and feel like you need to keep up with the person in front of you, mistakes are more apt to be made. Cheech already said he didn't know what he was getting himself into, and I think Max just wanted to throw a warning out there.

Anyway, we can all do whatever makes us comfortable as an individual. Max doesn't have to ride with a big group in Coshocton and others don't need to feel like they shouldn't ride in a group. Hopefully each person will keep the few helpful suggestions in mind when they are out there...

Oh, and as a last word, I totally agree with JRM about not being comfortable being out there alone. I took a trip down to Hocking by myself later in the season last year and I was not pleased with the thought that if I went down, no one would have a clue as to where to even start looking for me except 'in Hocking'..... I'll always go with at least one more person, if it's a twisty or spirited ride.

Edited by SchmuckGirl

The trick is to KNOW when you are above your head, and try not to play 'catch the leader'.

and that is the trick that is hardest for most to learn

first off that fatal has nothing to do with the group of us on this fourm. casey and brian may have been close to him i really dont know but the rest of us werent. im not going any further into details.

blakes wreck wasnt from our roads or group riding it was because of MOC.

cheech wasnt into coshocton yet.

mikes wreck yesterday was cuz he rides over his head no matter what we tell him.

when ross and calvin went down they were fresh riders.

mine was cuz im a shitty rider.

now how many ppl have wrecked or died in columbus? but yet u still ride in that area??

had to do something to win!

could not have said it better !

I have ridden in many group rides and I know how dangerous they can be when you mix riders and experience levels. I have been riding since 1990 and learned all the lessons the hard way. I am just trying to save the new guys the pain and expense of learning the way I did.

youve not rode in our group so you cant informatively say that

I personally got faster by going to the track instead of learning from the faster guys on the street but the same philosophy applies. Trust me if they put you on the track by yourself you wouldn't get to your potential. For most people it takes learning from others and it's the least painful was to do it.

We had several people on this ride who are capable and willing to help others out. When some people came to me suggesting someone might be having issues I went to talk to him first without anyone around, if he would have wanted help or showed more interest in getting help I would have been glad to lead him around for a while until he understood what I was trying to teach him. Adam did that exact thing later in the day. Everyone on this ride had the full support and safety that a group provides.

I think it's safer to ride in groups plus it gives you the opportunity to learn. I went up front and played around for a while and I rode in the back for a while. I enjoy riding towards the front because its fun to utilize the skills that I have acquired because of others helping me. I also enjoy watching others having a good time and discovering things about their riding. Like, wow you can do that and how can you do that safely? In most cases there are answers to those types of questions that can only come from the opportunity a group can give you.

and again couldnt have said it better !

I think all had a great time and I think its safe to say all will come back without hesitation ..... that should be enough said imo . Todd