What to do with the $500 raised at the meet & greet?

Casper

We raised $500 today at the meet & greet. All of the money is going towards raising motorcycle awareness. What do you all think we should do? I thought about getting a billboard near downtown, getting yard signs made up, or maybe internet ads (Google Adwords). Either way, this isn't an Ohio Riders advertisement. The address would be at the bottom, but that's it. The main focus will be motorcycle awareness. So, what do you all think? Any ideas? Suggestions? Thoughts?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than I like the idea, I don't have a feel for which media would be best.

I'm sure they all have an up and a down side.

I'll throw radio and TV ads into the mix.

Being a PSA might get that cost down a bit and some free airtime?

Maybe do an ad for national distribution...

FCC rules might be on our side for this one.

Edited by Strictly Street

I honsetly don't think billboards or yard signs make a lick of difference to the cagers that don't ride.

If they've never ridden they "just don't get it" and reading something on a sign ain't gonna make em get it.

I say use that money to throw another party! :banana: (Just kidding of course)

Radio spots might work out well, and could even be in part donated by the stations.

I've got it in my mind that Ohio needs an annual "Motorcycle Awareness" slogan contest, sort of like the annual "Wear Your Seatbelt" slogan contest. What we can do, if anything, is beyond me. But I bet the OSHP, AMA, ABATE, or Ohio gov would help out. Including the choosing of the winning slogan.

Or we go it alone, with what we have to work with.

Something like that would be widely distributed every year. A lasting legacy.

You know, everyone always says hookers and blow, so I'm going to be different and go with cocaine and prostitutes.

In all seriousness, I think ground signs, even strategically placed, have little to no effect on someone who's trying to carry on a conversation, do their hair, and narrate Spongebob to their little toddler army in the backseat of the Suburban.

I think radio might be more effective. I also seem to recall as early as the beginning of this season they had motorcycle awareness signs posted on the highway traffic monitors. I don't care who you are or what you're doing, most EVERYONE looks at those things. It might not be a bad idea to see if we can coordinate the radio spots with the sign postings. However, this would probably involve a unified slogan of some sort, and this is where I defer the floor to someone who's a little more creative and much less of an asshole than me.

i love the radio ad idea, but also alot of the banners that they hang from the walls of buildings is a great eye catcher. $500 is great! maybe honda in marysville will match that, or the harley dealerships locally. i think asking for a match is completely legitimate and warranted, after all business and networking for a good cause go hand in hand. hooters?? just naming a few who benefit from riders' business.... you know, in exchange for equal recognition. could it be considered worthy of contacting the ohio drivers bureau in addition to see if they could assist in some state-wide effort.

We could start a street campaign where we dedicate a few hours of our time to stand on side walks in our helmets and gear to with signs that have statements reflecting motorcycle awareness. Of course not in today's 93 degree heat.. but I still think that's a freebie way to make things happen. Of course other then the materials that go behind making the signs.

Leave it to the Rock the Vote Street Team leader to think of some cheesy grass roots campagin. ;) Always thinking of the low-dollar way to spread the word. That's what happens when you're a non-profit and got to be creative on a less then shoe-string budget.

I did have some contacts at the Secretary of State, Jennifer Bruenner's office. They were able to do us a 'solid' and give us a free shout for a RTV radio promo. I wonder if they could hook us up with someone just as gracious and powerful at DOT.

Just to throw a different spin on this, how about instead of putting an ad out targeting cagers (that they'll probably not pay attention to anyway), we do something targeting other bikers. Tips and tricks for those bikers who may not have taken the time to learn the right way to do things.

We might not be able to stop the cagers from being stupid, but maybe we can help bikers be smarter.