I'm due for some new gloves. So what you got?

Lost1888

If your going to take off a finger with a $100 glove you going to take off a finger with a $500 glove. That is unless they have no flexibility at all. I really don't feel like getting into this arguement but a snell rated helmet is a snell rated helmet weather it cost you $600 or $180. If you hit a tree head on at 30mph your most likely going to die. No matter how fancy the art work on it is. My Suzuki branded gauntlet gloves I bought for $50 when I got my bike handled my 20mph. low side with out a scratch and lasted me over a year and a half and 20K miles before I got a hole in the palm.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your going to take off a finger with a $100 glove you going to take off a finger with a $500 glove. That is unless they have no flexibility at all. I really don't feel like getting into this arguement but a snell rated helmet is a snell rated helmet weather it cost you $600 or $180. If you hit a tree head on at 30mph your most likely going to die. No matter how fancy the art work on it is. My Suzuki branded gauntlet gloves I bought for $50 when I got my bike handled my 20mph. low side with out a scratch and lasted me over a year and a half and 20K miles before I got a hole in the palm.

I understand your logic, but that's like saying that both of the gloves meet some sort of crash test standard. To my knowledge there is no SNELL equivalent for gloves, jackets, etc. So you're right, protection is protection. That aside, even just a quick eyeball or hands on will quickly give an impression on differences in quality. Don't be so quick to take offense from the racers on here. We all ride differently, but they are offering their personal experiences. So you don't crash a lot, I don't know a lot of street riders that do. However, no one plans to crash but it does happen. If you can see the difference between the Joe Rockets and Wheelchair gloves then seeing the difference between a $50 glove and a $150 glove can be more than fancy colors and a name. The moral of the story I've taken from the advice is go for the upper end of your budget. They're your hands, and whether it's tomorrow or 10 years from now if you go flying through the air are you going to be thinking about the $50 you saved?

Edit: One other thing to add. IMO gloves are as important as a helmet in most situations (especially if you're a reasonable street rider that isn't going Mach 2). If you have any time to react, even a tenth of a second, you will throw your hands out before you hit the ground. It's just reflexes.

Edited by V4junkie

I bought a pair of Fieldsheer "sonic air" at Iron Pony, on closeout for $20. Not a whole lot of protection, but enough for how I ride at this time. They're comfy, some decent knuckle padding, on top of leather in the knucles. The rest is mesh.

I also Have a pair of First cold weather gloves that I really like, in the cold (duh!) I don't rememebr any detials, and that's not what you're looking at right now anyway.

If I start riding any more aggressive, I'll get me some better gloves, but right now I don't go much over speed limit most of the time.

Edit: One other thing to add. IMO gloves are as important as a helmet in most situations (especially if you're a reasonable street rider that isn't going Mach 2). If you have any time to react, even a tenth of a second, you will throw your hands out before you hit the ground. It's just reflexes.

Good point, and I didn't think of it like that.

V4 I get your point. I never considered anything that like a wheel chair glove. Sure they were suggested. Like I said to each their own. Not for me. You intentions are good and I appreciate that. I am going to purchase gloves on the terms of what info I can get on them and if the fit with in my budget. Like I said before I should have mentioned I'm not headed to the track and with my logic somethings are overkill.

About the putting your hands down thing. You are absolutely right. Thats what I did when I went down. Rolled off my shoulder put my hands down at my sides and slid on my back down the road. So I completely get you point.

I have these also........ I love them, best summer gloves I ever had....

What brand- Alpinestars

What style- SMX2 Air Carbon

Likes- Breathable, comfortable, carbon fiber knuckles, leather palms

Dislikes- I have a habit of getting the mesh caught in the velcro when I put them on so it frays the mesh :(

Where you bought them- Iron Pony

How much you paid- $69.95

Pics and other comments-

as-smx2-BLACK.jpg

Whoa, calm down there buddy. :eek: You asked, and we told. And no, if you lose a finger with a $100 glove it doesnt mean you'll lose it with a $500 glove. YOUR logic just doesnt hold any ground ;) And you talk about people on here wrecking often; however, you even say you've lowsided, so maybe WE shouldnt ride with you.

Anywayz...go ahead and get a glove you like thats comfy and think will hold up when that next lowside comes around :D I just hope its not one of these fingers :thefinger:

:lol:

V4 I get your point. I never considered anything that like a wheel chair glove. Sure they were suggested. Like I said to each their own. Not for me. You intentions are good and I appreciate that. I am going to purchase gloves on the terms of what info I can get on them and if the fit with in my budget. Like I said before I should have mentioned I'm not headed to the track and with my logic somethings are overkill.

Alright I think we're all happy. 1 min and I leave work. Rep for everybody!

qft......when I lowsided at 40mph, my helmet didn't have a single scratch on it........the SP1's were slightly torn and CF knuckles were scratched and dented...still usable. and I'm pretty sure the guantlent acted like a brace and kept me from spraining my wrist.

and I didn't plan on wrecking either......just doing a corner like I normally do and BAM I'm watching my bike slide along next to me

What brand- Joe Rocket 'Sonic'

What style- Gauntlet

Likes- Everything. These are the only gloves ive owned, so cant compare them to any others.

Dislikes- n/a

Where you bought them- Newenough.com

How much you paid- $53.99

Pics and other comments- Ive never crashed, so no report on how they hold up.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/joe_rocket/sonic_motorcycle_gloves.html

Default.jpg?1203995852

Edited by thegame

Got Icon Hooligan 2's, like $40.

I dunno if it's me or the gloves, but I'm keep slipping like a mofo on the clutch way too much.

When I save up some cash, probably going to look at astars GP tech or might cheap out on some other gloves of theirs.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/alpinestars/gp_plus_motorcycle_gloves.html

What brand-A*

What style-Short Gauntlet

Likes- Excellent fit, craftsmanship, looks cool

Dislikes- Wish the gauntlet was longer (GP Pro)

Where you bought them- See above

How much you paid- $109

Pics and other comments- Love A*. Favorite looking glove I've had is the SP1 but the palm was obliterated after I lowsided. These are the best gloves I've worn.

I bought these from newenough as well. I love them and think they offer a good deal more protection than the SP2 I use for a backup glove.

Got the Cortech Adrenaline based on this article -

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0809_riding_gloves_buyers_guide/index.html

Like 'em real well but you have to undo three velcro straps per glove. I have no other experience since these are my first.

Got the Cortech Adrenaline based on this article -

http://www.sportrider.com/features/146_0809_riding_gloves_buyers_guide/index.html

Like 'em real well but you have to undo three velcro straps per glove. I have no other experience since these are my first.

Most likely this is the glove I'm getting. Everybody I have talked to and everything I have read has been very positive. I don't mind if they take a little longer to put on. I'm not in a rush. Between the ear plugs, helmet, jacket, three straps on the glove isn't going to hold me up from a good days ride.

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/alpinestars/gp_plus_motorcycle_gloves.html

What brand-A*

What style-Short Gauntlet

Likes- Excellent fit, craftsmanship, looks cool

Dislikes- Wish the gauntlet was longer (GP Pro)

Where you bought them- See above

How much you paid- $109

Pics and other comments- Love A*. Favorite looking glove I've had is the SP1 but the palm was obliterated after I lowsided. These are the best gloves I've worn.

Thanks Vfizzle. I think i found my next pair. :badgerrock:

I like velcro gauntlets, to snug up on a jacket. That keeps the wind and rain out. My last pair was a cheap Iron Pony clearance item, and they only lasted a year, and stitches came out around the gel pad. I got something similar for 60 bucks at IP. The Olympia classic sport model 410, gel inside with padding outside, no real armor. I went one size larger, medium did fit, but they were too snug for throttle gripping. (And might shrink a bit after getting wet.) I like them.

http://olympiagloves.com/viewgloves.html

410.jpg