Mac vs. PC....computers geeks needed!!!

PrincessPratt

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After starting this thread I find out that I'm not even allowed to access work when I'm on call unless i have a windows based computer. Soooo I'm stuck! I have a friend helping me look for a good purchase tonight! Yah!

You can run Windows on a Mac by installing a program called Parallels. Also, The most current edition Mac OS X has Bootcamp which can enable you to run Windows as well. I am not a Mac snob and have nothing against PCs but I love my Mac.

+1.. No offense' date=' but I've seen sphincters that were cuter than most Pugs. :eek:[/quote']

Since weve all seen yours i will have to disagree with your above statement.

REF:Look my balls.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=31955

WARNING:do not click as what has been seen can not be unseen.

just what kind of nurse are you?!

tn2roadtrip4-main_Full.jpg

:lol:

I'm not really a "nurse" anymore but a nurse practitioner. When I was a staff nurse I did help the PCA's with baths, placing foleys,etc and have seen more peter and sphincters in my life than I ever want to remember.

Now I do end of life care and pain management (palliative medicine) BUT at times I do still have to do rectal exams to check for impactions. Usually I just orders some plain films tho to see! ;) I'm done with all the prostate exams and pap smears that I had to endure during my clinical rotations! Yuk, yuk, yuk!

OK so on a more serious note....I think I'm gonna purchase a dell. I was out looking at computers last night with a friend that is a computer wiz and he suggested this might be best for me. Now i don't know the difference between all these processors. Can anyone help me out a bit? Layman's terms please. ;)

Intel Core 2 Extreme

Intel Core 2 Quad

Intel Core 2 Duo

Intel Pentium Dual-Core

Nah, Linux isn't my religion (I'm an atheist, for the record). It is, however, pretty damned simple once it's set up. I wasn't suggesting she try to self-compile all her own stuff or anything.

My wife is an idiot when it comes to computers, and she does just fine with her Ubuntu laptop- click firefox, browse the interwebs, repeat. Pratt may not be that great with computers, but she's educated and not an idiot-- she could figure it out pretty readily.

And the dual boot just means that when you turn it on you can select which thing you wanna load. When I'm just browsing the internet and listening to music, I hang out in Ubuntu for the speed and stability. When my classes force me to use Visual Studio, I reboot, do whatever I need, then go back to Linux.

I really hate being "that linux nerd" that always shows up in computer discussions, but the truth is that it really is nice for the simple stuff.

TL: DR--

Nothing wrong with letting her know all the options. She says she wants to browse the internet, write papers, and mess with photos. Ubuntu is a perfectly valid option for those-- those things come pre-installed and require none of the irritating terminal stuff that can make Linux a pain.

:p

I'm sure she's not an idiot and I'm sure she could handle click the firefox icon and surf and some other stuff but when all of the sudden she needs a vpn client for work or wants to use skype or decides maybe she wants itunes or any of that stuff to have to reboot and switch to windows so you can use normal day to day apps is silly in my opinion. Yes if she was married to you and could say hey man make this work every time she had a new computer need then it would work fine but to send her on her way with a linux machine in hopes that she doesn't need any more functionality than what is built in is kinda ridiculous. I understand you and everyone else's love for the operating system. It's open source, free and works really well and also happens to have the fact that it's a small slice of the installed workstations going for it so it doesn't get "infected" with as much malware as Windows but overall it's just not going to serve her needs like a standard windows or mac computer would that has industry support for simple things.

Sure dual booting offers a solution, but if she is gonna have to switch to windows to do day to day stuff anyway, why make it so complicated. Just have her run windows to begin with.

Vista sux balls, so I hope Win 7 is an improvement. I just can't shake the memory of upgrading from win95 to win98 (which sucked more balls), then upgrading win98 to win2000 (which less than 98), then upgrading to XP pro.. Liked XP pro over the previous windows versions, but windows is still windows, which means lock ups and freezes for no damn reason. Not gonna even get started on viruses and spyware.

I'm pretty tech savvy, and was forced to upgrade the wife to a Vista Dell about 8mths ago. The computer itself is awesome, the operating system reminds me of win98 with all the frick'n issues.

The screen on my 5year old Dell laptop fell off (thank the gods for duct tape), then the battery took a crap, then the power cord/transformer died. I'm going on week 4 of no laptop (Palm Pre getting me by), and finally pulled the trigger on a Macbook Pro this past Thursday.

Vista sux balls, so I hope Win 7 is an improvement. I just can't shake the memory of upgrading from win95 to win98 (which sucked more balls), then upgrading win98 to win2000 (which less than 98), then upgrading to XP pro.. Liked XP pro over the previous windows versions, but windows is still windows, which means lock ups and freezes for no damn reason. Not gonna even get started on viruses and spyware.

I'm pretty tech savvy, and was forced to upgrade the wife to a Vista Dell about 8mths ago. The computer itself is awesome, the operating system reminds me of win98 with all the frick'n issues.

The screen on my 5year old Dell laptop fell off (thank the gods for duct tape), then the battery took a crap, then the power cord/transformer died. I'm going on week 4 of no laptop (Palm Pre getting me by), and finally pulled the trigger on a Macbook Pro this past Thursday.

you don't sound tech savvy.

I don't think my xp pro machine that is 8 years old ever locked up once.

my vista machine that is now 3 years old hasn't gave me one lick of problem either.

programs are different. some people assume it's windows fault when a program crashes. which is out of microsofts hands.

this is where mac has the advantage. they make all of the programs too. so they can get them to work flawlessly.

Edited by serpentracer

you don't sound tech savvy.

I don't think my xp pro machine that is 8 years old ever locked up once.

my vista machine that is now 3 years old hasn't gave me one lick of problem either.

programs are different. some people assume it's windows fault when a program crashes. which is out of microsofts hands.

this is where mac has the advantage. they make all of the programs too. so they can get them to work flawlessly.

Countless XP and Vista machines for a wide variety of uses and we have next to zero problems with any of them. Most of our problems are hardware related. We have everything from laptops/desktops where the user can install anything they want to an environment where it's all .mil (super locked down) and the lack of OS issues is consistent across the board. I've been an MCSE since '97 and I'm amazed at the number of people that cause their own problems and blame the OS or application.