Tips on Storing my Bike for winter.

Bluezx6r

Not sure if i posted in the right place, but i'm looking for some tips for putting my bike up in the winter. I hear mixed feelings about it. SOme people say i should drain all oil and gas from the bike and cover it with a sheet to keep moisture from building up and others say to change the oil right before you put it up and fill the gas tank all the way up and add stablizer. and coat all the metal of the bike in oil.:confused:

Im not sure what i'm going to do yet i just figured i would ask what you guys do when storing your bikes.

I leave it in the garage and just start it up once a week and let run for about 10minutes

and if it gets above 40deg and the roads are ok I take it out for a ride!!

Actually this will be the first winter for this bike, I'm referring to my old Honda SilverWing.

There was a time when I did not get out to start it up for two weeks and it was really cold

and the battery went dead but that was easily fixed with a Battery Tender JR which I used to

charge it back up then left that on it the rest of the winter.

I also filled the tank up at the beginning of winter and added some stabilizer.

Oh and I put some pieces of wood under the tires to keep them off the concrete.

Right, cuz concrete makes your tires dry rot:rolleyes:

Ya know, even if that were true, if your tires dry rot before you wear them out then you've got some serious issues.

Like I said in the other thread, fill it completely full with fuel and keep the battery charged. That's it. Nothing else is needed. Do more than that and you are wasting your money.;)

Right, cuz concrete makes your tires dry rot:rolleyes:

Ya know, even if that were true, if your tires dry rot before you wear them out then you've got some serious issues.

Like I said in the other thread, fill it completely full with fuel and keep the battery charged. That's it. Nothing else is needed. Do more than that and you are wasting your money.;)

So not moving the bike and letting it sit on the concrete won't cause any issues with the tires?

I just do that cause I thought I heard someone say that sometime.

So not moving the bike and letting it sit on the concrete won't cause any issues with the tires?

I just do that cause I thought I heard someone say that sometime.

No it will not. Heard it sometime? lol kinda like hearing that you dont need to use a torque wrench for frame sliders?

Sta-bil in tank, take battery out and use a battery tender jr on it a few times to keep it full of strength. Change oil if you want some prefer it, reduce air in tires to around 10-15lbs and put up on front and rear stands. That's how I do it.

...OR........you can put chains on the tires and use as a snow mobile. :D

I dip mine in bee's wax...

Seriously, the minimum is clean the bike, fill the tank, change the oil, trinkle charge the battery indoors, oil the chain real good, plug up the exhaust outlets, and check the tire pressures (I go max pressures for the Winter). No tire should ever go below 26psi. That will damage the tire if it has weight on it. I do use the Stabil, but probably only because I bought some and it will last me 10 years.

Running the engine in the Winter for a few minutes will most likely trap more moisture inside the engine, or just move the moisture around. If you run it long enough to evaporate all moisture out, that's ok. But it has to get really warm for a good length of time. And that's hard to do.

Note: do not mess with plastic parts when they are frozen. Like side covers over batteries. They will break easily.

edit: argh, what NinjaNick said... reducing the tire pressures is ok if it's up on stands. No harm done. Please note that some people have found out the hard way that race compound tires don't like to be frozen.

Edited by ReconRat

Why would I put max pressures in a tire for Winter.

1. Tire design standards call for no less than 26psi in a mounted tire, under load.

2. Tire pressures drop 1psi for each 4F drop in temperature.

So at 36psi the tires can take a 40F drop in temperature, and still be 26psi or better.

3. I've been stupid enough to jump on in the Spring time and ride on half flat tires...

AOW's guide to winterizing your bike.... Move to California... Today it was 90+ degrees and sunny, yesterday it was 80 and sunny, Saturday it will be 80 and sunny. Winters are tough out here, I couldn't ride two days this week due to rain.