Buying a used bike tips...

redbarron77

...I ran through OR's search for tips on buying used bikes, but wanted to know if anyone had a quick checklist for what to look for when buying used.

Help a Brother out here!

I am considering a simple 700cc(ish) cruiser. My back can't handle a sports bike, and my budget can't handle a new bike.

This is a good very general common sense overview:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/740/4893/Motorcycle-Article/How-to-Buy-a-Motorcycle.aspx

But, I assume you're talking more about looking the bike over. Basically, nothing beats research into the specific bike you're looking to buy. Research the common issues, the market prices, ask a TON of questions to the seller, make them confirm the things they wrote to you in an e-mail, ad, over the phone convo...

I know I've written this before in another thread, but when buying a used bike, the most important thing is to get a feel for the type of person the seller is... if you come in knowing your shit, you should be able to get a better read on them as a person to know whether they're worth the time dealing with - are they honest? shifty? How good do they bullshit? Ask questions you already know the answer to, to see if they're honest and knowledgeable about the bike.

It's a tough 'skill' to explain on how to bullshit with someone to get a read on them... but that's really what you're doing when you buy a used bike. It's one thing to get taken by an honest guy that was legitimately unaware of any issues the bike may've had, it's another to get taken to the cleaners by a guy knowing he intentionally is selling a lemon.

^ What he said.

Otherwise, you want to check all wear parts, ALWAYS check the oil. Does it look fresh, smell like gas? Check other fluids. Brake fluid look burnt and dark? Antifreeze up to snuff? Look underneath for evidence of leaks, is it all nasty, or has it been kept clean.

Check axle nuts and other parts for evidence that its been downed. Check chain and sprockets for proper tension and wear. Check fork tubes for oil leaks, blown seals. Look at tires. Are they wearing funny? If they are, it could be a sign of a bent frame.

Start it and listen to it. Does it rattle and clang? By all means, ride it. Put cash in his hand and test ride it (always take a buddy to wait with the money). Does it ride straight? Stop straight and properly? Shift correctly?

Also, look at the seller and where he keeps the bike. Is he meticulous? If he is sloppy, he was probably sloppy about maintenance. Ask what oils and cleaning products he uses, etc.

I've been doing my homework, and like the feel of a cruiser. Sports bikes just kill my back....love the performance, and cornering, but my body just says no. If I were to have the time to hit a track, I'd be all over a Ducati, but life keeps getting in the way.

I've found lots of good reliability reviews(non-sponsored) on Honda engines and drive trains. A larger engine isn't a big deal, so the 750 range with a non-chain final drive, since I live on a 1 mile long dirt road.

The tips about checking the area where they kept the bike is a good one.

If looking at Honda's, 750cc's is enough, and you need shaft drive, the Shadow 750 Aero is your choice. Excellent smaller cc cruiser, with little to take care of even in dirt road conditions. If you got something with a chain, you would need to clean it weekly, if not more often. We do not currently have any of those in stock currently, but I will shoot you a PM if anything pops up. We do have some shaft drive Suzuki's and Yamaha's.