HB191 = Street Racing = Oh Shit

Casper

Should HB191 be passed?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

What I find so disturbing about this whole thing is it leaves such a broad interpretation of what excessive driving and speed ACTUALLY are. Who decides if your actions are worthy of an arrest or infraction? The officer writing the ticket has all the power is seems. Sure you can take it to court and hope the judge is not as bad a douche as the cop. But taking your bike away is just not right.

When you give working class people incredible power over ones life, such as the cop making a "street racing" judgement, you are at the mercy of THEIR morals and beliefs.

Does this mean you can't accelerate "hard" going on a ramp to a freeway?

Or use an evasive maneuver to distance yourself form a dangerous driver?

The scenarios go on an on.

Real street racing is one thing, but to leave the interpretation of the "crime" to the popo just ain't right.

Now don't get me wrong I have met some good cops and have even been let go with a few warnings. I guess I can't let 99% of the police give the rest a bad name. That wouldn't be fair :D

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find so disturbing about this whole thing is it leaves such a broad interpretation of what excessive driving and speed ACTUALLY are. Who decides if your actions are worthy of an arrest or infraction? The officer writing the ticket has all the power is seems. Sure you can take it to court and hope the judge is not as bad a douche as the cop. But taking your bike away is just not right.

When you give working class people incredible power over ones life, such as the cop making a "street racing" judgement, you are at the mercy of THEIR morals and beliefs.

Real street racing is one thing, but to leave the interpretation of the "crime" to the popo just ain't right.

Now don't get me wrong I have met some good cops and have even been let go with a few warnings. I guess I can't let 99% of the police give the rest a bad name. That wouldn't be fair :D

The thing is that they already HAVE this power in many ways. There are so many things that they CAN write someone up for that you wouldn't even think of! More laws means more opportunities for abuse of power, and I think that's the premise of this thread. Unfortunately, there are plenty of other ways that BAD LEO's can abuse their power, and be unfair.

musta missed the update where driving in a way that wasnt consistent with other traffic was dropped....now its back to the same thing we have pretty much, but worse penalties... i dont think youre going to be speeding side by side with someone down an on ramp exceeding the speed limit unless youre for some reason acutally racing down an on ramp

musta missed the update where driving in a way that wasnt consistent with other traffic was dropped....now its back to the same thing we have pretty much, but worse penalties... i dont think youre going to be speeding side by side with someone down an on ramp exceeding the speed limit unless youre for some reason acutally racing down an on ramp

The other thing that was a big point in this thread was the provision allowing seizure of the vehicle.

The other thing that was a big point in this thread was the provision allowing seizure of the vehicle.

yea but it was based on the part about being able to get picked up for not blending in with traffic....if people are legitimately street racing, perhaps they deserve to lose their vehicle if caught.... if youre man enough to risk lives, youre man enough to accept the consequences

yea but it was based on the part about being able to get picked up for not blending in with traffic....if people are legitimately street racing, perhaps they deserve to lose their vehicle if caught.... if youre man enough to risk lives, youre man enough to accept the consequences

I can see it in some of the more serious cases, such as the ring that got busted up a few years ago that was blocking off sections of I-71 for their racing. Or for repeat offenders that show no interest in righting their ways....

I can see it in some of the more serious cases, such as the ring that got busted up a few years ago that was blocking off sections of I-71 for their racing. Or for repeat offenders that show no interest in righting their ways....

the people picked up last summer were not racing when the bust occured, and nobody got stuck with anything except linn because he ran and didnt make it....

you couldnt profile people like that saying if youre in a group the penalties should be worse...repeat offenders maybe, but still even that argument doesnt apply to this thread....i dont see one person here defending street racing....everyone was throwing a stink about the part that was already dropped...since that part is dropped, everyone should be thrilled and this thread really has no purpose anymore...

the people picked up last summer were not racing when the bust occured, and nobody got stuck with anything except linn because he ran and didnt make it....

you couldnt profile people like that saying if youre in a group the penalties should be worse...repeat offenders maybe, but still even that argument doesnt apply to this thread....i dont see one person here defending street racing....everyone was throwing a stink about the part that was already dropped...since that part is dropped, everyone should be thrilled and this thread really has no purpose anymore...

I think I'm talking about an older instance, but when it's something that obviously organized as some of them are, as long as it can be proved, harsher penalties from the get go. The tough thing is, the burden of proof. Anyway, I agree that this thread has seemed to have run it's course.

more sample text, if anyone cares to use it. (be sure not to send it to senators now that the bill has passed the senate...)

Dear _____,

I am contacting you regarding House Bill 191, more commonly known as "The Monica Durban Law." I am a responsible motorist, and staunchly against irresponsible operation of high-performance vehicles; however, I believe the proposed law expands the definition of "street racing" to a point that it is excessively broad and ambiguous.

Currently, the law defines street racing as a competition of speed between 2 or more vehicles (generally operated side-by-side), or a timed competition where a single vehicle is attempting to get to a pre-determined destination. section 4511.251(a,b) The proposed addition of section C, "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street or highway," is far too ambiguous. This provision, combined with the proposed addition of 4511.251(G)(1) would make it excessively easy for law enforcement officers to impound vehicles that they feel are 'accelerating in a manner inconsistent with normal operation.' Such subjectivity of the law is dangerous, and unnecessary.

While I am in full support of harsher penalties for street racing, including the impounding of vehicles as described in section G, subsection 1, expansion of the definition of street racing to include section C would be irresponsible.

Until 4511.251© of the bill is removed, I urge you to vote against its passage.

Edited by redkow97

does the nitrous clause apply to simply HAVING it installed?

it's worded poorly. I read "no person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in this state shall use nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street or highway."

does simply having a nitrous kit installed qualify as "use?" I could see trying to ban actually spraying on the street, but prove i did or didn't.

I can be HOLDING a gun and not USE it. Now by that logic, I can hold a gun and never fire it, but be convicted of armed robbery as well...

does the nitrous clause apply to simply HAVING it installed?

it's worded poorly. I read "no person who purchases nitrous oxide at retail in this state shall use nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle that the person operates on a public road, street or highway."

does simply having a nitrous kit installed qualify as "use?" I could see trying to ban actually spraying on the street, but prove i did or didn't.

I can be HOLDING a gun and not USE it. Now by that logic, I can hold a gun and never fire it, but be convicted of armed robbery as well...

I'm not sure on the nitrous stuff. I would think that if you had the bottle removed, you could not USE the system, and be within the law. If it passes, that one will probably be fought out by lawyers, for sure.

In comparison to robbery, if you have a gun while attempting, or committing a robery, yes you would be guilty. It SOUNDS like they're intending it to be the same deal with nitrous and street racing, but who knows until it's passed and the lawyers challenge it, unfortunately.

It looks like actual common sense prevailed and just focuses on street racing. The part of "excessive demonstration" has been struct out so if your solo, the bill doesnt effect you. The nitrous part is only in there now as to if you use it in the act of street racing, your still in deep do.

All the noise to the senate actually worked - how 'bout that?

MD

Edited by mello dude

It looks like actual common sense prevailed and just focuses on street racing. The part of "excessive demonstration" has been struct out so if your solo, the bill doesnt effect you. The nitrous part is only in there now as to if you use it in the act of street racing, your still in deep do.

All the noise to the senate actually worked - how 'bout that?

MD

Holy shit our senators listened to us.

Woooooooooooooooo!!! I can only hope my emails did something! I was actually planning a move if it passed. Yes that is excessive, but for me I would have to.

I kinda feel crazy happy right now, and feel like the people might actually have some power in America still...

I wonder how many people besides us on this forum sent stuff in....

I wonder if how the bill was received has anything to do with the house being controlled by the Democrats who love the children and passed it and the senate that is republican controlled who hate the children and modified it.

:lol:

• 1 month later...