Which tire is the better tire?

Zoner1320

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cheapest ones shipped and mounted of those you can buy.
Few things...

1) Christ... Here we go again...

2) Anyone that says whichever is the cheapest isn't someone I'd listen to... Then again, we got some damn good deals on tires, too...

Hmmm...

I like peanut butter more than jelly. What brand is best?:cool:

Well I personally have no prob at all listening to Tod :dunno:

That's because anyone named Tod is cool.

I did say any one of the options he listed without being too wordy. He could have added Pirelli and I would have said the same thing. This is a great time to be in the market for tires. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy from a local dealer if they mount them for free. I personally don't go that route but those who don't have access to other resources should look into their overall costs to have new tires mounted on the bike and ready to ride.

I really didn't want to get into a best tire thread because he left out several unknowns about what he wants a tire to do, last or what kind of riding he does. Given the options he listed the cheapest one would be the best.

I need help Mich. Pilot Powers or the bridgestone battlax

Used both on my FJR. Pilot Powers feel grippier through turns than Battlax. Battlax tires are decent and were OEM on my bike. Only complaint with the Pilots is that they wear down too fast for my taste (only got about 7500 miles out of the rear with heavy touring and commuting).

I later switched to Metzler Sportec M3s and are so far my favorite tire; best all-around grip in wet weather and cornering but pricey as hell (like $300+ a set). My compromise is the Dunlop D616 tire (OEM for the Buell Ulysses) which is more suited for touring because of the deeper tread. I've put over 10k miles on my rear tire and it still has quite a bit of meat left on it.

It all depends on what bike you're sticking them on and what type of road you're traveling on. Trial and error I suppose...I've gone through so many tires on my FJR thanks to all the road construction on those CA highways. Stupid nails.

Huh.. guess I'm buying the wrong tires. Pilot Powers are smoked way before that kind of mileage.

You might consider experimenting, I'm not easy on tires, I've killed a dunlop qualifier in 2000 miles.

I'm not sure about your "grip" needs. I've never had any trouble with pds, but i'm not a track racer either...

• 2 weeks later...

Tire debates are always loads of fun:D First off, any tire can be good for one rider and suck for another. It depends on riding style and habits. Personally, I hated the Bridgestone BTO-14 tires that I tried. I didn't like the profile (too flat to really get leaned over and still have a good contact patch. I have ALWAYS loved the Michelin Pilot Power. I have never tried the 2CT version but I'm sure it's even better than the original. They have amazing grip and a good profile that gave me good contact patches while putting a knee down. They were awesome on the track and great on the street too. Now most people say I'm lying when I tell them the mileage I got out of them, but my friends always tell me I'm a freak of nature when it comes to the milage I get out of any tire. I got 17,500 miles and 5 trackdays out of the front and 13,500 out of the rear. And half of those miles were done on my RC51 and then my GSXR 600. I got even better mileage out of Dunlop 208 23,000 front and 18,000 rear but I hated the grip and profile characteristics compared to the Pilot Powers. I did try out a set of Dunlop 218s not too long ago and was pleasently surprised with the grip they gave me both on street and track but still didn't like the profile too much because they were still too flat for me which made for more effort to get the bike all the way over. If all you're doing is street riding most tires will work fine, there are just some that may work better than others depending on your riding style and what you really need that tire to do.

No shit your friends don't believe that mileage. On an old under powered 2003 600 the best I ever got out of a rear from a Michelin pilot power 2ct or Pirelli Diablo corsa III was 2,100 miles and that was only once. All the rest of the rear tires were gone at 1,800 miles. I never do burn outs either. The op didn't state what mileage requirements he was trying to get along with several other things to consider when making a tire decision.