Added new BBCode for Google Maps

Casper

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when you start seeing other forums using this, just remember who created it. :lol:

I posted it up on vbulletin.org for anyone to use. It was actually really easy. The formatting code was already written by someone else. They just had it so you had to put the entire url in the map tags. I changed it up to pass the variable (what you type between the tags) as a map search. In all honesty, I can't believe this wasn't done before. It was stupid easy.

Can you explain what this is? Cool, I can see maps in posts. How are you going about doing this?

When you post a new thread, or reply to a thread, in the tool bar where you can change the font, size, etc, you'll see a new button: map.png

That button will put map tags in the post. Within the tags, you can type in an address, a city, etc, and the map will appear in your post.

For instance, say I'm planning a ride. I say everyone meet up at Ohio Motorcycle in Hilliard, Ohio. I can put [ map ]Ohio Motorcycle Hilliard, Ohio[ /map ] (without the spaces of course, and it'll put this in the post:

When I view this thread on my work laptop in Firefox, it takes FOREVER to load, like to the point that i can't even accomplish anything. I have to click that red X to get to stop loading and wait another 3 min for it to recognize i clicked it. anyone else have problems with this many maps in a thread?

When I view this thread on my work laptop in Firefox, it takes FOREVER to load, like to the point that i can't even accomplish anything. I have to click that red X to get to stop loading and wait another 3 min for it to recognize i clicked it. anyone else have problems with this many maps in a thread?

It's slow because there are so many maps, but it shouldn't be that slow. It loads in a few seconds for me.

It's slow because there are so many maps, but it shouldn't be that slow. It loads in a few seconds for me.

Additionally, Google doesn't cache images so you have to download EVERYTHING every time the page loads. Performance goes WAY down the more maps you use, but that's the Google works.

Each google map needs to go out to google and build/transmit itself. On this thread there are lots of maps so it's like opening 10+ google pages all at once. My guess is that normal threads will only have one or two google maps and they will not be bad. If you just want to show a route but don't care if it's an interactive map then I'd recommend doing a screen capture of the google map with the route and just posting it as a .gif or .jpg file to the thread. In linux I'd use a piece of software called GIMP to do the capture. I think theres a version for Windows also. I'm sure there are many ways to capture the map as an image. The image files will load a lot quicker and you can always include a link to the interactive map if you want. At the top right of the google map page there is a LINK hyperlink. If you click on that it generates a link you can copy/paste anywhere.

I think this feature is a very helpful addition if it's not overused. Good job, thanks.