My "New" Ducati

Todd#43

The Duke is now gone and I took this as a partial trade:

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9752

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9753

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9754

Its a 1987 Ducati Paso 750, 8,000 miles, 100% original and in beautiful cosmetic condition. Unfortunately, it hasn't been started in 9 years so it'll be a bit of "project" type bike. Should be something fun for me and my son to dick around with this summer.

Wow, I find it ugly, but the fact it's an 87 with 8k miles and all original is pretty cool. Congrats Todd,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. The photos dont really do the bike justice. The paint is unbelievably good with no oxidation or hazing. Very unusual for red plastic that old.

For a 1987 the bike was way ahead of its time in terms of styling for sure. Now, it looks somewhat dated, but cool none the less, I think. Certainly nothing like today's sportbikes.

Oh yeah, I also got this in the trade:

picture.php?albumid=191&pictureid=9755

and some $$$

Edited by Todd#43

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know. The photos dont really do the bike justice. The paint is unbelievably good with no oxidation or hazing. Very unusual for red plastic that old.

For a 1987 the bike was way ahead of its time in terms of styling for sure. Now, it looks somewhat dated, but cool none the less, I think. Certainly nothing like today's sportbikes,

No, don't get me wrong, it is a great looking bike for its age, and I'm not hating on you. I don't like the styling but it isn't my bike. I do think it would be a fun project bike to bring back to life and will probably get lots of looks.

Edit after your edit...I think you got a good deal too :D

Very nice find! There are some things that I think look hideous, such as the front signals/mirror pods, but I like the idea all the same, just not the implementation.

What is it with the mid 80's and some of the sportbikes? It seems that quite a few of them were a bit ahead of their time! This one and my Interceptor come to mind. The power / CC ratio of my 500 is STILL excellent, they just had some issues with top-end oiling.

No, don't get me wrong, it is a great looking bike for its age, and I'm not hating on you. I don't like the styling but it isn't my bike. I do think it would be a fun project bike to bring back to life and will probably get lots of looks.

Edit after your edit...I think you got a good deal too :D

I didn't think you were hating - I understood what you were saying. It is an odd looking bike for sure, but that's part of the appeal - you know? I'm sure once we get it going down the road, it'll turn some heads. The best thing about this bike is its 100% original and unmolested. I have to imagine there arent too many out there like that.

Its hard to tell from the photo, but the Commander is stainless. Its also brand spankin new and unfired.

Todd, Ill have to see if i can dig up the pictures but i did a complete paint job on one of those last year. We kept it 100% original, the pearl white and blue scheme and I had tapeworks remake all of the decals.

The blue and white ones are kinda cool. I'd like to see the photos if you find them. That being said, a Ducati should ALWAYS be red. Period.

Is that right rear turn signal bent or is that just the pic?

That one is bent. The rubber stem has hardened and cracked allowing it to droop like that. The one on the other side has broken. That kind of stuff is an easy fix though.

Nice ride. Damn 9 years of not getting started hope that the motor didn't lock up. Post pics of the progress and what you are doing to it and enjoy

Based on the way everything else looks, I doubt that the motor is "locked" up. It'll get some new belts and some hand turning love before it gets started for real.

Very nice find! There are some things that I think look hideous, such as the front signals/mirror pods, but I like the idea all the same, just not the implementation.

What is it with the mid 80's and some of the sportbikes? It seems that quite a few of them were a bit ahead of their time! This one and my Interceptor come to mind. The power / CC ratio of my 500 is STILL excellent, they just had some issues with top-end oiling.

There are SEVERAL things on this bike that are hideous by today's standards. The mirrors are one, the windscreen (or lack thereof) is another. How about that GIANT red seat? I mean its got a carb on it that Ferrari used to use. That's all part of the "appeal" of the bike. That, and there aren't 50,000 other bikes like it out on the street.

It has a hydraulic clutch too ? Seems like many of the older bikes were like that, not so much anymore?

The hydraulic clutch is pretty popular on Ducatis. As far as I can remember every one I've had or raced had a hydraulic clutch. The downside is its more expensive to manufacture and maintain (when you have a problem with a slave or master cylinder issue). The upside is that it requires practically no maintenance. I know the older 'busa's had them. Not sure which others did.

Cool find, I hope you and your son remember the time you spend together working on it. I loved working on projects with my dad.

Does this bike remind anyone else of this bike?

picture.php?albumid=412&pictureid=9758

That's an old honda Pacific Coast, isn't it? Those bikes were ahead of their time also.

I'm looking forward to doing this with my son too. When I was his age my dad always had all sorts of "projects" going on. Looking back, I wish I appreciated it more than I did back then, but I'll always remember it.

The hydraulic clutch is pretty popular on Ducatis. As far as I can remember every one I've had or raced had a hydraulic clutch. The downside is its more expensive to manufacture and maintain (when you have a problem with a slave or master cylinder issue). The upside is that it requires practically no maintenance. I know the older 'busa's had them. Not sure which others did.

The reason it caught my eyes was jorters 85 Interceptor has one but my 96 FZR doesn't. I just find it interesting

The reason it caught my eyes was jorters 85 Interceptor has one but my 96 FZR doesn't. I just find it interesting

I think a lot of has to do with the way the clutch is actually moved inside the cases. In some instances, an additional linkage is necessary when using a cable vs. fluid, so you avoid the extra pieces parts by going hydraulic.

Really good for red that old. You have to bring this out so we can see it this year.

I might have to do that once its up and running. I don't know that I'd ride it all the way to C-Bus, but if they have any Ducati stuff at the AMA races @ Mid-Ohio this year, I may bring it down.

Of course, if its really looking good, maybe I could park it in Ducati Island at the Indy GP?