Who likes the Columbus Zoo?!?

chevysoldier

I just got this email from my mom. My Dad works at the zoo. Thought there may be some people on here that may be interested.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

February 19, 2010

Patty Peters

Associate Zoo Director Community Relations

Office: 614-645-3411

Cell: 614-917-3949

patty.peters@columbuszoo.org

NOTE TO THE MEDIA:

Media will not be given access to the polar bears at this time to allow them the opportunity to adjust to their new surroundings and while work is completed on the outdoor habitat. We will contact you soon when they are available for viewing by the media.

Cool New Bears Arrive at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium

First residents of Polar Frontier opening Spring 2010

Powell, OH – Twin polar bears, Aurora and Anana, arrived at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium this afternoon. The three-year-old females are the first residents of Polar Frontier, the Zoo’s newest attraction opening this spring.

The young bears were accompanied by animal care staff during their trip from the Pittsburgh Zoo and PPG Aquarium where they have lived since December 2008. They were born at the Toledo Zoo on November 25, 2006. The name “Aurora” is in reference to the northern polar lights and “Anana” is an Inuit word meaning “pretty”.

“The residents of central Ohio spoke and we listened”, noted Executive Director Dale Schmidt. “It’s been more than 20 years since polar bears were at the Columbus Zoo and they are back by popular demand. We can’t wait to share Polar Frontier with the community.”

Aurora and Anana’s new home includes a 1.32-acre yard with two pools, smell ports, dig pits and shelters. The still pool will be 167,000 gallons and include the David C. Goss Family Gallery where visitors can view the bears from above, at eye-level, and below. Imagine having a polar bear swimming over your head in Ohio! The other pool is a surge pool with a tidal effect, providing enrichment with various depths and moving water.

Polar Frontier represents a long-abandoned mining town and will draw guests into the Arctic Circle; connecting them to the animals that live in some of the coldest climates in the world. Polar Frontier will also provide new digs for the Zoo’s popular brown bears, Brutus and Buckeye, who came to the Columbus Zoo in 2004 after the orphaned cubs were found in Alaska. The new habitat for these growing and rambunctious boys will be an acre full of dig pits, deadfall trees, two shelters and a 42,000-gallon freshwater pool. Arctic fox will be new to the Columbus Zoo and their new Polar Frontier habitat is made possible by the generosity of the Ed and Ellen Klopfer family.

The Battelle Ice Bear Outpost, an interpretive center with engaging activities focusing on polar bears and climate change, will also provide guests information on ways to practice conservation at home -- joining the Columbus Zoo and their partner Polar Bears International in the effort to save the polar bear. A themed playground, presented by Nationwide who also provided support for the outdoor bear habitats, gives kids a chance to play while parents relax and enjoy their “cool” surroundings.

In addition to donor and corporate contributions, the $20-million attraction is made possible due to the generosity of Franklin County residents and funds raised through a county property tax levy.

Polar bears (Ursus maritimus) are native to the circumpolar north including the United States (Alaska), Canada, Russia, Norway and Denmark (Greenland). They are at the top of the Arctic food chain and eat primarily seals. There is estimated to be 20,000-25,000 polar bears and populations are in decline due to the disappearance of sea ice. Some scientists believe that if the warming trend continues two-thirds of the polar bear population could disappear by the year 2050.

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is open 363 days of the year 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. after Labor Day. General admission is $12 for adults, $7 for children ages 2 to 9 and seniors 60+. Zoo admission is half-price during the months of January and February 2010. Children under 2 and Columbus Zoo members are free. The Zoo was named the #1 Zoo in America by USA Travel Guide and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA.) For more information and to purchase advance Zoo admission tickets, visit www.columbuszoo.org.

# # #

I don't know how any Franklin County Republicans can support this considering their tax dollars were used for it.

It's a levy and they voted it in? Notice this isn't in the politics section?

AND you left out this part that doesn't fit in to your agenda?

In addition to donor and corporate contributions...

I doubt 100% of FC residents approve of this. I wonder how much of the $20M was tax dollars.

And no, I didn't leave it out, it wasn't pertinent to the fact that some tax money went to this.

Edit: This is the best I can find, old data from 2008... http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/pdf/financial-reports/2008CAFR.pdf

pg 169

FRANKLIN COUNTY, OHIO

Property Taxes on a $100,000

Owner-Occupied Home or a Business

City of Columbus / Columbus School District

December 31, 2008

Table 8

Real estate taxes help finance your school district, your city, village or township, your public library, your parks and zoo, and various County services.

In the example below, if your home or business has an appraised value of $100,000 located in the City of Columbus and the Columbus City School

District for tax year 2008, this is how the taxes will be distributed in calendar year 2009.

Zoological Park: $19.50/homeowner $24.48/business owner

Source: Franklin County Auditor's Office.

I would've copied the entire page, but the formatting sucked on the forum, so go to the link for a complete breakdown of what FC spends your $1800 worth of property taxes on for your $100k home.

Edited by JRMMiii

I doubt 100% of FC residents approve of this. I wonder how much of the $20M was tax dollars.

And no, I didn't leave it out, it wasn't pertinent to the fact that some tax money went to this.

Edit: This is the best I can find, old data from 2008... http://www.franklincountyauditor.com/pdf/financial-reports/2008CAFR.pdf

pg 169

FRANKLIN COUNTY, OHIO

Property Taxes on a $100,000

Owner-Occupied Home or a Business

City of Columbus / Columbus School District

December 31, 2008

Table 8

Real estate taxes help finance your school district, your city, village or township, your public library, your parks and zoo, and various County services.

In the example below, if your home or business has an appraised value of $100,000 located in the City of Columbus and the Columbus City School

District for tax year 2008, this is how the taxes will be distributed in calendar year 2009.

Zoological Park: $19.50/homeowner $24.48/business owner

Source: Franklin County Auditor's Office.

I would've copied the entire page, but the formatting sucked on the forum, so go to the link for a complete breakdown of what FC spends your $1800 worth of property taxes on for your $100k home.

Why are you really complaining? You don't live in FC and pay for that levy right? It really doesn't matter if 100% of the people didn't vote FOR the levy, it passed with a majority vote. Currently that's how our system works right?

And since you seem to be disagreeing with tax money to go to a non-profit organization that supports conservation and a family oriented atmosphere for learning, you don't patronize this zoo or any other right?

I fail to see why you would bring up anything political in a thread about polar bears?

Edited by chevysoldier
Spelling correction so JRM's world doesn't end.

Why are you really complaining? You don't live in FC and pay for that levy right? It really doesn't matter if 100% of the people didn't vote FOR the levy, it passed with a majority vote. Currently that's how our system works right?

And since you seem to be disagreeing with tax money to go to a non-prophet organization that supports conservation and a family oriented atmosphere for learning, you don't patronize this zoo or any other right?

I fail to see why you would bring up anything political in a thread about polar bears?

Quoted for when you disagree with how much your taxes are and how your tax money is spent in a future thread. Like bitching about Ohio taxes - http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=40004

or your disdain for people "whose sole function is to integrate industry and government through regulation."

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?p=321659#post321659

Kinda like how zoos are public/private organizations.

And I didn't bring it up... it was in your e-mail that you copied and pasted.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your message here, but what I get out of it is: Taxes and big government are bad, mmmkay - unless it's for stuff I agree with like conservation and a family oriented learning atmosphere.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here - I don't have a family, so why should I support the zoo? If I want to go see Polar Bears, just charge me full price to go, whatever you need to make money. I'll decide if your admission price is equal to the value I put on seeing animals in a cage. If you can't make money, then we don't need a zoo. Capitalism and running a business and whatnot, right?

:lol: at 'non-prophet' btw

Edited by JRMMiii

:lol: at 'non-prophet' btw

So sue me. It was late and I had just read a thing that said "Atheism is a non-prophet organization" The world is going to end now.

But if that one $20M sentence was all you saw and was that big of a deal for you, I feel bad for you.

I live in Franklin County, pay zoo taxes, AND pay for a season-pass AND donate when asked. Now, is it the government's responsibility to support a Zoo? No, but there are many worse things sucking our tax money. If people would step up and support the things they feel are valuable to themselves and society, we wouldn't need to tax. So, yes... my family loves the zoo. Can't wait to see the bears.

So sue me. It was late and I had just read a thing that said "Atheism is a non-prophet organization" The world is going to end now.

I figured it was a slip, I still thought it was funny. I'm going to start using it to see if people pick up on it.

But if that one $20M sentence was all you saw and was that big of a deal for you, I feel bad for you.

No, that's not all I saw... but if me mentioning the 'non-prophet' was all you saw in my last post, I feel bad - none of my issues were addressed. Just your slip of word choice, which wasn't a big deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD_VXBuQ_5I

I don't know how any Franklin County Republicans can support this considering their tax dollars were used for it.
It's a levy and they voted it in? Notice this isn't in the politics section?

AND you left out this part that doesn't fit in to your agenda?

DontFeedTheTroll1.jpg

If we all do our part to ignore him, maybe he will go away.

Really?? Columbus Zoo hasn't had polar bears in 20 years?!? :wtf:

Toledo Zoo always has polar bears

Thats because Toledo is in the artic circle.

Its okay to let the troll post if he is going to use posts others have made against them the same can be done to him.

He lately has had a hard on for the obstructionism that has been going on. Like he thinks any idea that is presented is a good one and shouldn't be opposed. Accusing people of obstructing just for the sake of it like they don’t have any reasoning behind their decision to oppose a bad idea. It appears that people will get behind and vote for what they perceive to be good ideas to them like zoos and extending benefits to veterans even if it costs them money. Not being behind something and trying to prevent it from impacting them is smart and should be done. Calling it obstructionism like it’s a negative thing is amusing.

We can't let you muck up every thread in here with your left wing political agenda. If we don't call out the flaws in your beliefs we will never truly have peace and harmony around here. This is obviously my goal and should be everyone’s here. This can only be achieved by stomping out the damn liberals around here.

Shoot, I was just trying to stick up for the right wingers who all want less taxes and oppose taxes going for silly things like animal enclosures.

Giving tax money to zoos is definitely something a tree-hugging conservationist liberal would do, but not a staunch capitalist GOP member.

I'm lost now.