arent u tired of this!?

GhostRider357

How many people here actually owned a 250? I get the impression most of you just have opinions of them based off of what bike you started with? I miss my 250. Guy in the cube next to me has had his 1995 250 since he bought it and refuses to get rid of it(his other bike is an 03 ZX11). My other friend bought his 250 shortly after I got mine and he doesn't have a single regret. (Side note he sold his 250 for the same price he bought it for. F'ing (incert anti-semitic comment here)) Point being. Its a great place to start. I felt I was ready to move up to somthing bigger after I had it for a year. In hindsight I'm really glad I didn't. Wouldn't be as good of a rider as I am now if I did.

"If you want to go faster. Learn how to ride better." - somewhere on Ninja250.org

Good quote.

I started on a 500 Ninja... I've actually toyed around with getting a 250 Ninja to commute with... They are great little bikes...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people here actually owned a 250? I get the impression most of you just have opinions of them based off of what bike you started with? I miss my 250. Guy in the cube next to me has had his 1995 250 since he bought it and refuses to get rid of it(his other bike is an 03 ZX11). My other friend bought his 250 shortly after I got mine and he doesn't have a single regret. (Side note he sold his 250 for the same price he bought it for. F'ing (incert anti-semitic comment here)) Point being. Its a great place to start. I felt I was ready to move up to somthing bigger after I had it for a year. In hindsight I'm really glad I didn't. Wouldn't be as good of a rider as I am now if I did.

"If you want to go faster. Learn how to ride better." - somewhere on Ninja250.org

+1

Ninja250 is the way to go then .. Dont forget Insurance is a real bitch if your under 25.

meh..not really, im gonna be 19 here soon, and liabilty cost me 12$ a month, compared to 100+ for my car. OP if you buy used and older than 3-4 years, insurence wont be a problem. As far as a 600 goes for a first bike, i would say its fine, just take a msf course first, and your golden ;)

From another board who happens to be having a similar thread going right now...

hehe... Let's be honest with ourselves here, shall we? It will take longer than a year to become a skilled rider. I believe the stats show that the most dangerous time for new riders is from 18 months to 3 years.

No one on this board will ever outride an ex250. If you are "bored" it's more likely that you just want more thrill, you want that same surge of adrenaline that you got when the smaller bike was still new, or when you first began riding whatever it was. The lack of thrill (scaring the crap out of yourself on a daily basis) doesn't equate to riding skill.

I know you want to think that you are special for whatever reasons you'd like to put forward, but very very few of us are Rossi Jr. Most of us are average riders, but we didn't start out that way. We all started out with no experience and limited skill. It's safer to really develop your skills, to the point where they are second nature and you don't even have to think about responding to a situation quickly and correctly, on a bike that is new-rider friendly. This takes training, time and miles. A year isn't enough.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care that much what you get. If you want a 600, a 750, or a liter bike, have at it. But at least be honest about the reasons behind it.

"Bored" means you just want a bigger bike. It doesn't mean you became too skilled for the smaller one.

acalliste is a knee draggin' grandma... and a GILF at that... She also speaks the truth.

Buying a boat changing hobbies /parents getting old trying to include them "keep an eye on them make sure their ok".

Dude... Don't buy a boat... Boats are a pain in the ass... Nothing is more of a pain in the ass than a boat IMHO... Buy some jet skiis... They are a pain in the ass too, but much more fun.

The 250 is a great bike to learn on and is nice and light for maneuvers. A lot of ppl on here like to ride 100+ so if you're looking for group riding with these ppl you will not be able to keep up. However, imo you shouldn't be riding over 100mph if you've never ridden before anyway.

Moral of the story is, if you get a 600 you will need to use your brain. You will be tempted to go faster because other riders are, but if keeping up puts you in a position where you are above your riding ability, you are only asking for trouble.

My reasons for buying a 250:

-lighter bike

-didn't have to have it lowered

-new rider

-price!!! You can spend lots on a 600 and not like it or pay $3000 for a brand new (ok, $3500 starting in '08) 250 and sell it for just a couple hundred less when you want to move up. A scratch on a $3000 bike is easier to handle than on a $6000+ bike! And you ARE going to drop it!

Yeah it was the Tire. Mid OH is too abrasive for a Soft. Maybe on a cooler day in the 70s. I ran a Medium rear Monday for 4 sessions and it looked brand new and was handling awesome..

I wished I could have gotten a session on the Bridgestones I just put on the new 1000. Oh well Next year...

I think if I could have gotten with someone Monday I could have gotten 36-37s, I was able to run 39:00 and 38.6 with nobody around.

Hmmmm.... Had you listened to me when I told you a soft tire wasn't a good idea...

You know how to gain a few seconds a lap? Talk to those who have experience... Crazy idea, I know... You could always keep asking away at GDC and find stupid and untested answers from dousche bags that seemingly know it all or, you could ask real guys who have been around long enough that may not have the right answer, but can help you along with ideas that will resolve the issue faster...

Just an idea...:D

As far as the "right bike" thread here... Buy a lighter weight bike with lower hp. All these guys who say you'll be bored with a smaller bike and to get a 600 are most likely not even able nor capable of riding their 600s well. Sure, at the light in town, on the corner at Rally's, pimping in front of their college dorm... They'll look like they know what they are doing. Get them on the street or track and when they ride, you can tell who knows their bike and who doesn't. Most don't...

These guys with liter bikes that went to a 1000 a year or less after they started riding are even more funny.

Buy an SV650 as a first bike. Nimble, light, great for track days (Where you'll learn more about riding than any trip to the Gap), and an all around great street bike.

Wanna have fun on a bike that will kick teh shit out of most guys on their sportbikes? Buy a KTM Duke or similar. Hell, even the new up coming Yamaha 250 Supermoto. Sure, your buddies will crush you in a straight line on the freeway, but who cares? If that's all they ride, that's pretty boring anyways. If you go anywhere in town or on some curves, you'll be king dick and they'll be left scratching their heads...

Don't buy a current crop 600 as a first bike. Sure, there are smart guys out there that are scared of their bikes and respect them, but they are few and far between... Buy something that makes more sense. Older 600s are fine - CBR F3s, FZR600s, even F4is and the like.

Now, all the guys saying their fast enough, good enough, and capable enough on their liter bikes and 600s will chime in. They're the ones to worry about.

Hmmmm.... Had you listened to me when I told you a soft tire wasn't a good idea...

You know how to gain a few seconds a lap? Talk to those who have experience... Crazy idea, I know... You could always keep asking away at GDC and find stupid and untested answers from dousche bags that seemingly know it all or, you could ask real guys who have been around long enough that may not have the right answer, but can help you along with ideas that will resolve the issue faster...

Just an idea...:D

I keep trying to get someone to follow me and see where my weekest point is so I can concentrate solely on that and maybe they have a method to try to help improve that part. Problem is I think I am weak in every aspect Corner entry, Mid corner, and Corner Apex. I try each time to improve corner entry, but I am stuck at a plateau I am not sure how to get around besides just saying go into the corner faster till I crash then try to back up a spot.

I was going to follow the one CR with the R1 that was pitted along the fence. I told him I had fresh tires and I needed at least a lap to scrub them in, so what does he do, he just takes off and that was it for the day.

I was going to follow the one CR with the R1 that was pitted along the fence. I told him I had fresh tires and I needed at least a lap to scrub them in, so what does he do, he just takes off and that was it for the day.

Yeah, that was a guy named Paul. He thinks he's a LOT faster than he really is. He acts like he's top shelf AMA material. Never seen him beat the likes of Jensen, etc...

Ask Drew about Paul...:D

He was there simply to race around and ignore the rules staff members need to follow. He was as useful as a tit on a bull. I would have hooked up with ya Monday, but I was chasing an oil leak and was in teh Noivce group, anyways...

As far as the "right bike" thread here... Buy a lighter weight bike with lower hp. All these guys who say you'll be bored with a smaller bike and to get a 600 are most likely not even able nor capable of riding their 600s well. Sure, at the light in town, on the corner at Rally's, pimping in front of their college dorm... They'll look like they know what they are doing. Get them on the street or track and when they ride, you can tell who knows their bike and who doesn't. Most don't...

These guys with liter bikes that went to a 1000 a year or less after they started riding are even more funny.

Buy an SV650 as a first bike. Nimble, light, great for track days (Where you'll learn more about riding than any trip to the Gap), and an all around great street bike.

Wanna have fun on a bike that will kick teh shit out of most guys on their sportbikes? Buy a KTM Duke or similar. Hell, even the new up coming Yamaha 250 Supermoto. Sure, your buddies will crush you in a straight line on the freeway, but who cares? If that's all they ride, that's pretty boring anyways. If you go anywhere in town or on some curves, you'll be king dick and they'll be left scratching their heads...

Don't buy a current crop 600 as a first bike. Sure, there are smart guys out there that are scared of their bikes and respect them, but they are few and far between... Buy something that makes more sense. Older 600s are fine - CBR F3s, FZR600s, even F4is and the like.

Now, all the guys saying their fast enough, good enough, and capable enough on their liter bikes and 600s will chime in. They're the ones to worry about.

Also if yamaha is still making the YZF 600 (not R6) that is also a good bike that is somewhat forgiving, comfortable, and powerful enough to keep new riders interested.

Now if you do go with a 600 the biggest thing is don't ride the bike just back and forth to work or grocery store and think you are learning to ride.

First go to a parking lot and learn braking (SMOOTH), do some swerving, and foremost when riding in corner mentally tell yourself when you want to lean to push the bar to lean (Countersteering). If you want to lean right push on the right bar and vice versus. Even though you may do it somewhat subconciously you need to be aware of it and it has to be habit as it can save your life in many situations. Had a buddy who bought a Ninja 500 rode it back and forth to work nothing eslse. We took him on a ride with us out in the twisties. My dad 2 up on the BMW 1100 RT behind him, and as soon as the riders in front were out of sight he slowed down some but then still crashed on a corner that was easily taken at 10-20 mph faster then he crashed at. Everything you can think of wrong to do in a corner he did it, target fixation, panic, panic brakes. If all he would have done was turn his head into the corner he could have easily made it at that speed.

Yeah, that was a guy named Paul. He thinks he's a LOT faster than he really is. He acts like he's top shelf AMA material. Never seen him beat the likes of Jensen, etc...

Ask Drew about Paul...:D

He was there simply to race around and ignore the rules staff members need to follow. He was as useful as a tit on a bull. I would have hooked up with ya Monday, but I was chasing an oil leak and was in teh Noivce group, anyways...

Yeah I tried to hook up with Drew, but never found him on the track. As I like Drew's lines they are very similar to mine thorugh the key spots. Just trying to keep up with him on corner exit was I think the most helpful as he gets a great drive.

Look what I just found on another board..

Looky who got their pic snagged at midohio on the 1st.

Here Lizard Lizard Lizard.. (old taco bell commercial)

2005701206695386881_rs.jpg

Where was that pic posted? I was worrying about the damn oil leak I had on Monday. Small and stupid deal that I fixed, but every session, I was worrying about the leak. Monday sucked.