Can-Am Spyder. Anybody got one?

ShawnR

First off, this isn't for me, and no, I'm not gay.

I have a buddy who was in an ultralight crash years ago and is in a wheelchair (12 years now). He always had street bike until the accident and now after dumping the GF, he wants to get back into riding.

The Goldwing trike thing seemed to be the only option until he came across a Can-Am Spyder roadster. He has also considered a Goldwing with "landing gear" (retractable training wheels).

Does anyone here know anyone who actually has one of these that he could go look at & chat with the owner?

First off, this isn't for me, and no, I'm not gay.

I have a buddy who was in an ultralight crash years ago and is in a wheelchair (12 years now). He always had street bike until the accident and now after dumping the GF, he wants to get back into riding.

The Goldwing trike thing seemed to be the only option until he came across a Can-Am Spyder roadster. He has also considered a Goldwing with "landing gear" (retractable training wheels).

Does anyone here know anyone who actually has one of these that he could go look at & chat with the owner?

It seems there are a lot of opportunities to demo these things. I've never had enough interest to demo one instead of any of the actual bikes though.

Mid OH vintage days they will probably have them again this year.

The motor in a Can-Am is the same that is in my bike. The bike has a lot of usable torque- say like that of a CBR1000, but a linear horsepower curve. About 110hp, so it's got good get up and go, but not class leading, by any stretch of the imagination. Looks like a fun bike, and I can attest to the motor.:D

On bike you can get around dead things and holes in your lane. Not gonna happen on a Spyder, unless you plan on crossing the line on an avoidance maneuver.

its no diff than a car man. i dodge things all the time. I cant remember the last thing i hit. and just like a car if you hit it i dont see it tossing you to the blacktop. your just going to break something on it.

i own the semi auto spyder no hand clutch just push button shifting and if you are lazy it will downshift for you at stoplights. it has good power and is a blast. you can normally see me at QSL in Colerain on Thursday nights. mine was 18000.00 when they first came out but compared to a 30000. goldwing trike i think they are worth the money..they even have a touring version out for 2010.

its no diff than a car man. i dodge things all the time. I cant remember the last thing i hit. and just like a car if you hit it i dont see it tossing you to the blacktop. your just going to break something on it.

Dood, its very different than a car. I shouldnt have to point this out, but a car has 4 wheels in line with each other that can straddle most road obstacles. In the heat of summer, I wouldnt want to hit a bloated critter with one of the 3 wheels that are spread across the entire lane.

No, it wont throw you off, it might make you wanna yak however.

I think they look like alot of fun and can be used alot more that a motorcycle with the amount of room for storage. I would like to get one but i do think they are over priced.

He mentioned something about getting one with a small trailer so he could haul the wheelchair with him. I would think that he could build some kind of mount on the back, but that's just my opinion. If he didn't have the chair with him, he is pretty much stuck on the bike.

i own the semi auto spyder no hand clutch just push button shifting and if you are lazy it will downshift for you at stoplights. it has good power and is a blast. you can normally see me at QSL in Colerain on Thursday nights. mine was 18000.00 when they first came out but compared to a 30000. goldwing trike i think they are worth the money..they even have a touring version out for 2010.

He would probably need this too. He has very minimal use of his legs. Not really any movement at all below the knees and very little feeling or movement below the waist. Would you mind if I pass on your contact info to him so he can hit you up if he has some questions?

Dood, its very different than a car. I shouldnt have to point this out, but a car has 4 wheels in line with each other that can straddle most road obstacles. In the heat of summer, I wouldnt want to hit a bloated critter with one of the 3 wheels that are spread across the entire lane.

No, it wont throw you off, it might make you wanna yak however.

Im not saying its not going to hit shit but its not going to put you on your ass. you might break something but i dont think its going to toss you. and if something is going across a lane i would rather hit it with that than my bike. I love my bike but i know the danger thats evolved in riding it. I think having the 3 wheels in the configuration that it has them is very stable. Like the Trex. dont be mad because i disagree with you. its not worth crying over.

He mentioned something about getting one with a small trailer so he could haul the wheelchair with him. I would think that he could build some kind of mount on the back, but that's just my opinion. If he didn't have the chair with him, he is pretty much stuck on the bike.

ya i have seen alot of trailers for them.

dont be mad because i disagree with you. its not worth crying over.

:wtf: Not mad bubby, just making a point. :rolleyes:

I think its a much better alternative to the $35k 3 wheelers and a great choice for someone that cant hold up a bike, but they have some glaring flaws also.

Tested one a couple years back when they first came out. The engine has a nice pick up and go. However, I had to spend the first mile and a half reminding myself that I didn't have to countersteer or lean...reminds me of a road ATV. Overall, a pretty nice ride for being a three-wheeled bike.

Can-Am has released a touring model for 2010 that's supposed to be more plush and has a trailer option. Sounds like a possibility to me.

2010-brp-can-am-spyder-touring-model.jpg