MSF's Guide to Group Riding

Casper

I would delete that second pdf man. MSF has always been about the 2 second rule on following distance. The second pdf says two bike lengths which is not enough unless you are still in the parking lot.

I would delete that second pdf man. MSF has always been about the 2 second rule on following distance. The second pdf says two bike lengths which is not enough unless you are still in the parking lot.

Yeah, always go by the one one thousand two one thousand and you'll be good to go.

^^Agreed Uncle Punk.

They say to 4 finger the levers, but I use 2 because it's safer and easier because all your grip isn't on the levers, but instead the bars. I don't know any good rider that uses any more but 2 finger clutch and brake.

I took the MSF a long time ago for license and manueverbility practice. I never cared about their specific rules, because I make my own rules that keep ME and others safe. They are not 100% the best efficient way to ride.

....so these things need to be dumbed down to their level.

You know when I first came here I was shocked at all the crashes. Every Monday during the season several posts about how someone crashed over the weekend. And 99 percent of the time it is a self induced crash that occured due to rider error. Maybe it needs to be dumbed down a bit more for the sport bike crowd.

I took the MSF a long time ago for license and manueverbility practice. I never cared about their specific rules, because I make my own rules that keep ME and others safe. They are not 100% the best efficient way to ride.

It is interesting. MSF would agree with you. I took the experience rider class and one of the first things the instructor said was please forget the 'rules' we taught you in the first class. He explained they have to give new riders 'rules' so their heads don't explode. Then he went on to explain they are intended to make people think, to understand the situations and how to process the info.

You know when I first came here I was shocked at all the crashes. Every Monday during the season several posts about how someone crashed over the weekend. And 99 percent of the time it is a self induced crash that occured due to rider error. Maybe it needs to be dumbed down a bit more for the sport bike crowd.

My intent wasn't to start a serious discussion but alright. For whatever reason most of the folks here ride sport bikes so of course you will see a larger number of mishaps posted here involving sport bikes. It doesn't mean sport bikes have a larger number of accidents than cruisers it's just that more are reported here. I agree that 99% of the accidents we have reported are self inflicted but usually from overriding changing road conditions. You can go down on a scooter at a leisurely pace if conditions change on you unexpectedly. I don't think most people buy a sport bike to ride around at a scooter pace just to stay safe.

Everyone who has ridden a dirt bike has crashed probably multiple times because they were pushing beyond their skill level. Hopefully the crashes made them a better and wiser rider. By us sharing the accident stories hopefully it will help others to learn something or to be more careful. Crashing sucks but it goes along with the thrill of pushing the envelope. These limits are different for everyone and so is the speed everyone gets to that makes them feel like they are having fun. I have fun riding on the street but try to keep my pace just below my skill level to keep from crashing. Mistakes happen at any pace for a multitude of reasons and I can show you way more cruiser crash articles that aren't related to this site if needed. The street is not the place to push your limits because the consequences are too severe that is what the track is for. You can improve your riding skills on the street if you build on your skills and keep from trying to skip over the next skill set. Accidents happen even if you don't push your limits I guess we should all slowly ride up to the local bike night and look at our bikes, that’s always big fun.

My intent wasn't to start a serious discussion but alright.

Nothing serious about this discussion. You made a BS ad-homenum attack on a group of people and you got called on it. Nothing more.

There is some decent information in there but mostly for the cruiser crowd. They are the largest segment of the motorcycle community so these things need to be dumbed down to their level.

Agreed 100%. For the majority of riders here, these are pretty lame in my opinion. Good info, but definately cruiser oriented...