NBC4 Motorcycle awareness news story

jporter12

Did anybody else catch the news story on motorcycle awareness on NBC4 Columbus? I just saw it on the 11:00pm newscast.Here's a link:

Spring Fever Brings Motorcycle Fever

One thing that impressed me was them basically saying to not trust your mirrors, which is what I have heard from MANY motorcycle safety sources, and other peoples' personal opinions.

Edited by jporter12
Added link

One thing that impressed me was them basically saying to not trust your mirrors, which is what I have heard from MANY motorcycle safety sources, and other peoples' personal opinions.

Heres a tip; dont ride in a cars blind spot either. ;)

Heres a tip; dont ride in a cars blind spot either. ;)

That's one thing that I have become aware of. I'll ride a little close to the lane line just to make sure I'm in their mirror, at the least, and the same with multi-lane, I make sure the cars beside me know I'm there (the best I can) and watch out for them if they are going by, or if I'm going by them, and make sure the pass is completed quickly.

^^^It'll do it as fast as any minivan

I try to see their face in their side mirror, if I can see their eyes/face then they can see my bike if they look, maybe look is too weak of a word. How many times have we heard "I didn't see him", maybe "observe" is a better word.

Don't ride next to cars/trucks - don't give 'em the chance to move into your lane and hit you - either stay behind or move in front.

Easier said than done in stop-and-go traffic, but you get the idea.

As Sergeant Esterhaus used to say on Hill Street Blues: "Let's be careful out there."

(for all you young-uns, Hill Street Blues was a cop show back in the 80's :lol:)

Was this only on at the 11pm newscast? They should run stuff like this more often.

And they showed a guy riding with his helmet strapped to the back fender? Nice :nono:

I don't know if it was just at 11:00 or not. That's the only time I was watching.

I'll have to watch it again to see about the helmet, I was more listening than watching.

Yes , That is a start , but we need more of this type of information out there and it needs to be longer , not just a minute spot , it looks like a comercial or something :D