Coolant question...

FocusDave01

I was half serious half kidding.

Water won't hurt anything if you're just topping it off as far as I know. I wouldn't run water as a replacement for any coolant though lol.

Edit: A few websites recommend running 50:50 water and coolant... so yah, topping off with water should be fine.

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Coolant_Change_FAQ.htm

haha yeah thats what i thought...thats what im really wantting to do this is just top it off but i dont know how far down it goes or how empty it really it is...rather i guess put a lil water in it than put wrong type of coolant in it

I don't think "wrong" coolant is going to fuck your bike up... only not enough

prestone extended life 50/50 is aluminum safe and will be just fine in your bike, its premixed already....silicate and phosphate free...get the one that says its good for all makes and models, mixes with any color....dont buy the grey bottle with the orange shit in it, and dont buy the normal green stuff....get the prestone extended life, make sure it says it mixes with all colors

if you dont believe me and want to spend more on OEM coolant then wait till tomorrow when places open, but for now, top your bike off with DISTILLED water, do not add tap water

For those consumers who would feel more comfortable using a phosphate-free antifreeze, our Prestone® Extended Life 5/150 Antifreeze/Coolant is phosphate, silicate, and borate free. This coolant uses a special chemistry and technology that extends the life of the corrosion inhibitor package so that it lasts for five years or 150,000 miles (whichever comes first), and is safe for all cars and light trucks (old or new).
Edited by Steve Butters

We have all kinds of coolant at Iron Pony. Honda, Yamaha, Spectro, Engine Ice, Water Wetter, and Liquid Performance. If you're just topping off go for the Yamaha, or Honda. Really about the same. The Honda is 50/50, Yamaha 60/40.

I don't think "wrong" coolant is going to fuck your bike up... only not enough

you *could* screw it up if you put that stupid Volkswagen G12 coolant in there and had regular ethylene glycol coolant. mixture reportedly turns to jello in the engine...:eek: not that you'd go to a VW dealer and pay out the ass for it, lol. i sadly have a car with that stupid stuff in it.

I prefer Peak brand Gobal coolant. As with the prestone that was mentioned, it's all makes and models safe. I only say that I prefer it ove the Prestone because I'm familiar with it, and haven't used the Prestone. I have used the Peak Global in automotive applications that were "troublesome" with their OE recommended coolant, and it prevented repeat failures of heater cores, water pump and various gasket leaks.

you *could* screw it up if you put that stupid Volkswagen G12 coolant in there and had regular ethylene glycol coolant. mixture reportedly turns to jello in the engine...:eek: not that you'd go to a VW dealer and pay out the ass for it, lol. i sadly have a car with that stupid stuff in it.

Flush it out and run Global. I've found that the G12, pink Pentosin is very similar to GM's Dexcool, which is GARBAGE!

Flush it out and run Global. I've found that the G12, pink Pentosin is very similar to GM's Dexcool, which is GARBAGE!

i've had the car for 3 years now and no coolant change, engine still stays under 180* all the time. never have put anymore of it in and i've wondered if you could just flush and fill it with something else. sounds like i can.

/endthreadjack