your bike.

turboglock

really? I love mine...they work really well.

My roots are in motocross so I am used to being able to go front only or rear only or both. I also didnt like that when you touched the rear pedal you would get some front fork dip. So in the shit can they went. No regretts. -- Admittedly, if the bike was a big ass touring bike I would keep them.

• 9 months later...

Dug this one up.....

So I'm doing my typical February routine of picking out my next bike (I know the urge will subside as soon as I mount up again for the season) and I find myself truly not being able to justify a replacement. Could I have the perfect bike (for my needs)? Current bike is a raven 2009 FZ6. Gas mileage is about 45-50 MPG depending on how I ride. Since I commute primarily and am a cheap bastard, I can't convince myself to go with a litre bike even though I'm loving the new Speed Triple, CB1000, ZX1, and Tuono or a small racer like a cbr600/r6. Insurance is less than $300/year so see above. Maybe I should get a different middleweight .... but there is a reported 98 HP in there, outdoing most of its class-competitors. I do like the new 796 Monsters, but my wind protection and comfortable riding position keeps me happy on the Fizzy. So what WOULD/will I improve? The fenders and signals look like shit, but there are decent kits out there for that. My only real complaint is how needy the throttle is. It doesn't really come alive until 9000 RPM or so making freeway travel much more fun than in-town cruises. All-in-all a great well-rounded machine. What to do, what to do... maybe it'll be a second bike. Old CB, project cruiser, who knows:dunno:. So what keeps you on your current steed/stable?

You need to do some mods to the FZ6. Check mine out. Greatest thing I ever did for that bike was get rid of those Mickey Mouse looking turn signals.

I'm going to do the turn signals and fenders this summer. By the way that new paint on yours is phenomenal!

2008 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

Dislikes:

-Runs kind of hot

-Stock seat is not distance friendly

-Fuel efficiency is worse than many compact cars when not granny-riding

-Almost guaranteed to have connector problems. (Will preemptively fix mine)

-I don't see many on the road

-Great power delivery

-Love the Rotax V-Twin

-Great brakes

-Overall great ergos

-A great V-twin exhaust note with enough of a twist to know it's different

-It's Italian

-I got a ridiculous deal on it

Edited by TenTwelve
  • Upvote 1

2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Mods:ZG Double Bubble, Targa rear fender eliminator.

-It's a unique bike, I have yet to see another on the road.

-750cc engine with good linear power

-Pretty upright ergos are good for distance riding

-Half fairing does a good job reducing wind blasts

-Easy to ride and easy to work on..no lower fairings to remove for maintenance.

-Total blast to ride on twisty back roads.

-Inexpensive bike to purchase and work on.

Dislikes:

-Fairing & mirror vibrations are excessive over 6k rpms. (Buell mirror swap supposedly fixes the problem)

-Limited selection of aftermarket parts compared to more popular bikes.

-Somewhat clunky shifting transmission at times

-Same banana seat as Ninja 650R, would look better with the naked Z750's tail.

-Suspension needs more adjustment settings.

-OEM seat leans forward a bit too much and smashes the boys against the tank.

Overall I really love this bike, it is one of those bikes that is a jack of all trades and a master of none. As a sport touring bike it was built with comfort as well as performance in mind so some things are a bit too "vanilla" for my taste, mainly the suspension. Once you get used to the vibration issues (common on most "Z" bikes) it's super comfy as a commuter and can turn into a pretty good performer when needed. I would recommend this bike as a good alternative to a FZ6/FZ1, Z1000, SV650 and those type bikes.

2007 Ducati Sport Classic Biposto

Likes;

Styling is classic cafe racer and a great blend of old and new if you like the mid 70's look.

The sound with the Termignoni aftermarket pipes is awesome.

Very light weight. (claimed 407 dry) Mine should be even lighter with the airbox removed and the aftermarket race pipes.

Turns into corners with little effort.

89hp, 68ftlbs 1000cc aircooled twin makes for a spirited but not crazy ride. (I've dyno'd twice 87&89 on two different machines)

Riding position of a sport bike but no fairings.

Spoke wheels look cool.

40-42 mpg on average for runs in twisties.

Gets looks from everyone when you stop, reasonably rare model ('06-'09 only).

Dislikes;

Spoke wheels very heavy. (13lbs front, 20lbs rear without tires)

Riding position wears out your body on long rides.

Factory suspension not sprung heavy enough for anybody over 150lbs.

Gas tank plastic, replaced twice so far due to it deforming.

120 miles to a tank of gas before light comes on. (40-42mpg)

From the factory would get a bad speed wobble over 100mph. (resprung front end cured it)

Factory forks not adjustable.

Seems there are several in C-bus now and it's not as rare as it used to be.:D

Mods;

Wrap around rear LED tail lights

removed charcoal canister

Termignoni race pipes (Aluminum with no cats), race ECU.

TPO Beast intakes (velocity stacks and K&N filter pods)

Gauge brackets (lowered and tilted them up for better visibility)

Re-geared rear sprocket from 39 to 42 teeth (same top speed:nono:, better low end pull)

Rizoma fluid cups (pure billet bling baby)

Evoluzione clutch slave (reduced clutch effort)

Custom Bitubo steering damper and mounts

Resprung the bike and added new fork cartridges that are adjustable.

Observation;

It's a two up bike, never have ridden with a passenger but can't see that they would enjoy the lack of seat space or ridding position. There are no handholds for a passenger and the seat slopes away from the rider with no backrest. I purchased a factory single seat and have been riding with that one for a while now. Not really a mod but gave me more underseat storage space and figured it was worth mentioning.

PICT4364.jpg

06 R1 50th Anniversary (AKA: LMS - Little Miss Sunshine)

Mods:

> +3 rear sprocket - 520 supersprox with EK black chain

> Vortex Rearsets

> A&R Race Baffles

> Speigler Steel Brake lines (black and gold)

> Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch

> PCIII (map from PC website...custom map this spring)

> Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (stock size)

> A few cosmetic mods, flushies, fender eliminated, a few carbon fiber pieces, smoked windsheild, and choice road rash from The Gap

> THE Pimpolicious 50th Anni scheme...sans scratchs

> Sound! A&R baffle opera. I like the look of the stock pipes, but have the sound of slip ons.

> 100 mph in first gear (no need to shift in mid turn or constantly up and down in traffic)

> great power at 10k RPM, more than enough in traffic below 10k

> have almost all the mods I want on the bike

> 42 mph on mostly highway commute.

> twisties for breakfast, torque for lunch, and titties for dinner

> of all the super sport liter bikes on the market at the time, IMO the most comfortable (relative to it's class)

> Not unbearable on long rides. I've ridden from Detroit to WV...6 hours plus. don't get me wrong. I'm not delusional and think it's a wonderful on those long trips, but jsut sayin it's not impossible.

> at 5'8" I have a lot of room to move around and can adjust seating position on long rides.

> snapfabulous looks, still the best looking R1 IMO.

> I'll never be able to out ride it's abilities.

> bitch to get to the spark plugs

Dislikes:

> itty bitty tank...long rides are bearable b/c I have to stop every 120-140miles per tank.

> no real storage under seat requires tank bags which I don't like to use. (I miss that from my YZF600R)

> Low RPM has no grunt. Hoping custom map will help. Sprocket change helped a lot already

> undertail exhaust roasts my asian water chestnuts

> useless mirrors

> too much for me on the track. would prefer a 600 or less for track days.

> I'm not good enough to ride her to her fullest potential. Sorry baby...you deserve more, but I'm a selfish ass.

> eats petroleum for a snack - tires and gas. 35mph on spirited rides.

> she is materialistic and always wants more accessories...women!

> can't afford a sibling...

Overall, I love her. Sure i constantly window shop, but I really can't find anything more gorgeous especially with all my very deliberate mods. A lot of respect given after she bucked me twice. Now i keep her happy and she has ever since taken care of me and gotten me out of more than a dozen seat hicky moments. Track days, weekend trips, twisty days, commute to work. She is a head turner and you don't see her twin too often.

3983.JPG

2007%2005%20Phoenix%20001.jpg

2010%20upgrades%20002.jpg

Edited by mojocho

06 R1 50th Anniversary (AKA: LMS - Little Miss Sunshine)

Mods:

> +3 rear sprocket - 520 supersprox with EK black chain

> Vortex Rearsets

> A&R Race Baffles

> Speigler Steel Brake lines (black and gold)

> Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch

> PCIII (map from PC website...custom map this spring)

> Pirelli Diablo Corsa III (stock size)

> A few cosmetic mods, flushies, fender eliminated, a few carbon fiber pieces, smoked windsheild, and choice road rash from The Gap

> THE Pimpolicious 50th Anni scheme...sans scratchs

> Sound! A&R baffle opera. I like the look of the stock pipes, but have the sound of slip ons.

> 100 mph in first gear (no need to shift in mid turn or constantly up and down in traffic)

> great power at 10k RPM, more than enough in traffic below 10k

> have almost all the mods I want on the bike

> 42 mph on mostly highway commute.

> twisties for breakfast, torque for lunch, and titties for dinner

> of all the super sport liter bikes on the market at the time, IMO the most comfortable (relative to it's class)

> Not unbearable on long rides. I've ridden from Detroit to WV...6 hours plus. don't get me wrong. I'm not delusional and think it's a wonderful on those long trips, but jsut sayin it's not impossible.

> at 5'8" I have a lot of room to move around and can adjust seating position on long rides.

> snapfabulous looks, still the best looking R1 IMO.

> I'll never be able to out ride it's abilities.

> bitch to get to the spark plugs

Dislikes:

> itty bitty tank...long rides are bearable b/c I have to stop every 120-140miles per tank.

> no real storage under seat requires tank bags which I don't like to use. (I miss that from my YZF600R)

> Low RPM has no grunt. Hoping custom map will help. Sprocket change helped a lot already

> undertail exhaust roasts my asian water chestnuts

> useless mirrors

> too much for me on the track. would prefer a 600 or less for track days.

> I'm not good enough to ride her to her fullest potential. Sorry baby...you deserve more, but I'm a selfish ass.

> eats petroleum for a snack - tires and gas. 35mph on spirited rides.

> she is materialistic and always wants more accessories...women!

> can't afford a sibling...

Overall, I love her. Sure i constantly window shop, but I really can't find anything more gorgeous especially with all my very deliberate mods. A lot of respect given after she bucked me twice. Now i keep her happy and she has ever since taken care of me and gotten me out of more than a dozen seat hicky moments. Track days, weekend trips, twisty days, commute to work. She is a head turner and you don't see her twin too often.

3983.JPG

2007%2005%20Phoenix%20001.jpg

2010%20upgrades%20002.jpg

She's perdy.

Here's an option for you...

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=51&osCsid=96a06d9c3af280e1e8534731bed6d6ed

I was going to buy these' date=' but someone gave me their old bars from their FZ1. The Rizomas are a pretty popular upgrade to both the FZ1 and the FZ6.[/quote']

Been looking at the Rizomas, but the MX bars were $20.

I just hate the back bend on the FZ1 bars. Youll see what I mean. It helps to turn them down some.

I feel about the same as Hoblick. Except mine is just about completely modded to my liking and is fuel injected. Highlighted the basic summary of my feelings on this post below. I doubt I'll ever sell it.

00 Suzuki SV 650

light as hell

very fun bike to just toss around

wheelies well

good torque pulling out of the turns

v twin sound is nice with a can on it.

love the naked look

just an all around fun bike

low purchase price used

huuuuuuge aftermarket

more than enough power to have fun, but not enough to get you in deep shit

riding position is comfortable enough, and jsut have soft spot for that upright, over the top, dirtbike type seating position on this thing.

easy to ride for a beginner, but still fun as hell for a seasoned rider

dislikes:

brakes arent great compared to a sport bike

suspension isnt great compared to a sport bike

its carbed..

stock gauges are shitty ( buy a trailtech vapor)

once you buy one you want to buy alot of stuff for it to make it better (suspension, gauges, brakes, exhaust, etc)

the whole swingarm setup is outdated

wish it ran standard superbike size tires

Edited by Lost1888

2007 cbr1000rr

PROS

insano tire frying power

wheelies on demand

stability (hesd)

killer looks (like a damn bullet)

good lowspeed manners

highspeed manners are a given

brakes are stunning

easy to work on

reliability (honda of course!)

CONS

sucks on long trips (but after 2 hours the pain goes away and all good again)

2001 Honda XR650L

Mods: Street style tires installed and a CRF450 exhaust added.

It's a dual sport, do you really have to ask?

It's a Honda

Rides like a dirt bike on street tires.

Light and torguey feel... Lift off on roll away hills are fun.

Its a nut job bike for a nut job that has been around since the dawn of time.

Dislikes:

Tank is way tooo small.

Rides like a dirt bike on street tires... I lose myself too often and in too many places.

Its a nut job bike for a nut job that has been around since the dawn of time. (way outdated)

The better bike would be the xr650R with street kit (thanks for F'in that up Honda)

03 Honda VTX1300 C

Mods: Cobra equal lengths, back rest/sissy bar, some type of motor upgrade (brother had it done before I got it, upsized the motor I just dont know to what)?

Rumbles (unlike a Harley, like something with some real power)

Has tons upon tons of torque

Shaft drive

Large tank

Soft smooth ride

Dislikes:

Heavy and bulky (800lbs dry)

Tons of torgue but no top end, peters out at about 80-90

Accessories are outrageous.

Custom sickle mirrors (were bad ass) but, had to go for the more traditional square blocks of chrome, I couldn't see shit...

Changing the clutch pack is a pain in the ass, and has no real seal or gasket on the side case? Honda RTV gasket material ( I have done it and it sucks, I shit bricks for a week thinking it was the wrong thing to do).

Clutch life on motor upgrade was seriously degraded.

Edited by Beegreenstrings

The FZ6 makes more than enough power for me. Just have to ride it like a two-stroke... which is fun and a PITA at the same time. I only paid $1700 for it' date=' so it's not going anywhere for a while. :cool:[/quote']

Damn.. How'd you get it so cheap? I bought my 2004 for $4k traded it in last spring for $3k and they sold it for $4k. lol

2005 zx6r

Mods: Full Arrow exhaust, PC3, Penske Shock, Jumper Mod, Pair/Kleen Valve mod, 310mm Rotors w/ R6 semimonoblocs up front, APE manual CCT, -1/+2 gearing, GPR v4

-Its the perfect amount of power for me, theres still so much untapped that I dont plan to upgrade anytime soon.

-Love the magma red paint when the sun shines on it

-Aesthetically everything i wanted in a bike

-Its my first

Dislikes

-Kawi tick

-Clunky transmission

-OEM tokico front calipers arent the greatest

-screws/bar ends vibrate a shitload and sometimes fall out

-high mileage when i bought it

-sometimes my nut gets pinched on long road trips.

1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD

1- Good on gas

2- Comfortable even for a fat guy like me

3- Belt drive

4- Foot pegs right where they should be

Dislikes:

1- Slow as hell

2- Cold natured

3- Did I mention slow?

4- Carb parts kinda pricey and hard to find

5- Not very good looking

2007 DL650 V-Strom: added tall Givi shield and adjustable bracket, top case with LED brake lighting.

17,000 miles or so and four years of ownership (bought it new)

-Go anywhere, do almost everything well bike. This bike will hang with faster equipment if you have the skills (until the straights). It can do some decent offroading with the right tires and, as mentioned, the right skills.

-Comfortable

-Will haul lots of stuff with the right luggage

-sits up high. good view for commuting in traffic

-excellent mileage... typically 53mpg beating the ever loving, well you know, out of it.

-great headlight

-reliable

-fairly easy to work on

-decent weather protection

Dislikes:

-clack clack clack clack clack...

-chain drive sucks on a touring type bike

-too much plastic to break if you want to get rowdy off road (not really my thing on this bike, but I've done it)

-exhaust note is pathetic. Sounds like a moped.

-front brake is a little wimpy (easy upgrade available)

-19" front tire doesn't allow many tire choices for good street rubber. Conti road attacks are my current choice and work fairly well.

-Fell out of the ugly tree, hit every branch, and beaten with the ugly stick once on the ground, just in case.

-only 62hp. 85 would be just right.

Overall: My favorite bike out of the 7 I've owned.

2009 Triumph Speed Triple: completely bone stock. 5000 miles or so.

-Riding position is a good compromise between sport torture and upright standard. I've done a 14 hour day on it.

-Looks cool... turns many heads.

-Makes amazing Triple music, at idle and when on the throttle

-wheelies

-3 motors in one: pulls cleanly at no RPM, has a fat midrange, and a decent top end. Can be ridden however you feel at the moment.

-Did I mention wheelies?

-So far, no problems

-it's not japanese

Dislikes:

-Squealy front brakes (although they stop HARD)

-gear whine gets annoying sometimes (easily fixed with a louder exhaust).

-absolutely no wind or weather protection (duh, it's naked). Beats the hell out of you when you ride on the highway, especially on a windy day. If it rains, you are soaked to the skin. I know this to be a fact.

-no place to store anything, and luggage would totally screw the looks up.

-when it's hot, it doesn't like to start (starter sometimes spins slow)

-when it's not warmed up, it takes 2 tries to start (always starts on the 2nd try).

-it's not japanese

-Tends to get a little out of sorts when pushed very hard... starts to wallow and slap the bars when you muscle it too much.

-HUGE turning radius. I can't do a U-ie on my road! What the?

-harsh ride is painful on bumpy roads (thanks so much ODOT for the pristine roads :mad:)

-Harley riders tend to accept Triumph and don't make jokes about it.

-it's difficult to keep the front wheel down and avoid unwanted attention

Edited by SpeedTriple44444
  • Upvote 1

Here goes,

Power, Torque, Handling, 38 mpg on the average, Looks, Altered perspective

on what one considers normal riding on the street. Completely disharmonious

with societys expectations (especially the do-gooders).

Dislikes,

Not so good in the gravel. Not so good on 1000 mile days. 3500 mile tire life.

License points.

Pro's

Great handling, plenty of power in the midrange (4k on up)

Smooth engine for a V-twin

Unique, haven't seen another, although didn't see another 690 when I had it

Really comfy seat for distance riding

Upright seating position so this old back doesn't get kinked even on a 1300 mile round trip

Good handling on Smokey Mtn fireroads

Really low maintenance... After break-in 7500 mile valve adjustments and oil changes

Lots of folks asking where'd I find such a big dirt bike

Con's

Low mpg....around 30mpg...5 gal tank helps a little but honestly it's still not broken in.....a little over 4k miles

Poor factory backing on known issues

a) drive chain slap dealer couldn't figure out (will try new chain and sprockets this spring)

b) rear brake squeal (not really a problem but embarrasing imo, dealer recommends softer compound rear pads)

Ktm aknowledges both problems but offer no solutions.

Closest dealer I've found to Dayton is Louisville

So far only added Garmin 550, power outlet and R&G tail tidy

Soon to be added Akro ti full system with a dyno tune