The Power of a Test Ride. (HD Sales Manual)

RSVDon

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its good marketing... simple as that. Harley knows that some or even most people wanting to purchase a bike from them are looking for an image more than anything else..

fixed it for ya.... there are a few of us that aren't sheeple

Besides the lifestyle that goes along with it what did you like about the HD over the big metric cruisers? I have ridden both and I have yet to find one thing the Harley does better than the others besides making my wallet lighter.

I am not a hater either, just a guy who does not get it.

for me, the VROD had the best styling of any other "sport cruisers"

Agree.

"nobody buys a drill because they want a drill - they buy a drill because they want a hole."

How often do you see people wearing HD apparel? How many of them do you think actually OWN a bike? I'd bet it's less than half. the image is desirable even when the bike isn't attainable. If someone did that with Ferrari clothing, they'd be a total douche! I have no idea how HD has made it work!

my brother and I were out for a ride a couple of weekends ago, and 2 HD's stopped next to us at a light. Both riders and both female passengers were completely decked-out in HD gear.

I actually laughed out loud. I just can't picture a scenario where I say to my wife, "hey - wanna go for a ride?" and her response is, "sure! let me go put on my HD tank-top, HD long-sleeved t-shirt, HD denim jacket, and HD sun-glasses!" You'd think HD riders were going to a competition against another bike manufacturer - it's a motorcycle ride, not a cav's game. you don't need the t-shirt...

my gear is to protect me. Theirs is to let everyone know what kind of bike they're on :rolleyes: (none of those 4 had helmets btw - how can you be SEEN with a helmet on!?)

it IS a culture - I just happen to think it's a totally moronic culture. Lucky for HD, there are a lot of lemmings to buy their wares.

It's even worst when me and the wife take the VROD to dinner and see the HD walking billboards from head to toe. Everyone of the 5 HD t-shirts I have were gifts from folks that obviously don't know dick about me. None of my riding gear is HD. Shoei, Icon, Nolan, Fieldsheer... When/if HD steps up to that quality I would have no problem rocking their gear.

I purchased my bike despite it being a Harley, not because it is a Harley...

You're wearing a browns jersey!??!? you don't play for the browns, do you?!?!

No, but I was at a browns game in that picture. I was showing support for a team I like at a competitive event against another team. ** (edit - sorry, i was thinking of my facebook profile picture. I have avatars disabled so I can be on this site at work without the boobies getting me in trouble)

If people wear HD shirts at a dirt-track race, that's a lot different than having 3-5 HD articles on their person for an afternoon ride.

I'll admit that I wear browns/cavs stuff when I'm NOT at a game on occasion, but never more than 1 article at a time, and I would never coordinate my clothing with my wife :rolleyes:

if someone wants to argue that every time a bike is ridden, it's somehow a 'competition' with other manufacturers, then I guess I'd listen to that argument; I just think it's silly. I don't put on a John Deere hat just to mow my lawn. I don't put on my highlife tee-shirt just to drink beer. i don't wear Dodge crap every time I drive my car. And I don't think i OWN anything that says "honda" or "kawasaki" on it... Perhaps that IS Honda and Kawasaki's deficiency, and not HD's.

Edited by redkow97

My in-laws have a beach house at Nags Head, NC there is an HD store not too far away from there, this is from the website, can anyone guess what's missing?

"NAGS HEAD STORE FEATURES:

Open 7 days a week

Large inventory of Custom T-shirts

Leathers, denims, footwear, and jewelry

Gift items and Collectibles

Childrens Wear

Outlet Store Prices

One Block from the Beach"

My in-laws have a beach house at Nags Head, NC there is an HD store not too far away from there, this is from the website, can anyone guess what's missing?

"NAGS HEAD STORE FEATURES:

Open 7 days a week

Large inventory of Custom T-shirts

Leathers, denims, footwear, and jewelry

Gift items and Collectibles

Childrens Wear

Outlet Store Prices

One Block from the Beach"

Actual HD motorcycles. What do I win?