The Power of a Test Ride. (HD Sales Manual)

RSVDon

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting philosophy, being seen and approved of by others for what I ride would not be a sales point for me, then again I'm anti-social. But in today's "hey look at me" society it works really well, and it's mostly what I see on the roads around my house...

Interesting philosophy, being seen and approved of by others for what I ride would not be a sales point for me, then again I'm anti-social. But in today's "hey look at me" society it works really well, and it's mostly what I see on the roads around my house...

We are all vain to a certain extent. Some buy a bike purely for the image and some buy for the functionality.

Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

That HD philosophy is pretty much my definition of a poser.

Poser

1. A person who attempts to blend into a specific social group.

2. One who attempts to appear to others as something they are not, especially by their manner of dress; a charlatan.

I've ridden horses a handful of times...never once did I feel it was necessary to dress like a cowboy.

We have a LOT of them in this area as well. There's a neighbor that does custom work on Harley's though, so we are going to see more.

We are all vain to a certain extent. Some buy a bike purely for the image and some buy for the functionality.

Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

I like what I like because it appeals to ME and my needs, not to mention the opportunity factor, that was what was available when I was looking for something, for the price I could manage.

I like what I like because it appeals to ME and my needs, not to mention the opportunity factor, that was what was available when I was looking for something, for the price I could manage.

Fine and dandy, that fits my 'functionality' statement.

do you have an emotional reaction to either of these statements?

2 fiddy? man that's a BITCH bike!

or

A 250? Those are fun little bikes, good on gas and a great commuter!

Fine and dandy, that fits my 'functionality' statement.

do you have an emotional reaction to either of these statements?

2 fiddy? man that's a BITCH bike!

or

A 250? Those are fun little bikes, good on gas and a great commuter!

Not so much.

I like riding it, that's all that matters.

Jagr doesn't like it though, when we ride together he can't tell if the fan is running on his bike, or if it's just the 2 fiddy! :lol:

Not so much.

I like riding it, that's all that matters.

Jagr doesn't like it though, when we ride together he can't tell if the fan is running on his bike, or if it's just the 2 fiddy! :lol:

Well that puts you at one end of the spectrum, then. :D

Genius. This is how you maximize your profit with a multitude of products and create brand loyalty. Like them or not they are a force that is amazing and defies most logic.

Agree.

"nobody buys a drill because they want a drill - they buy a drill because they want a hole."

How often do you see people wearing HD apparel? How many of them do you think actually OWN a bike? I'd bet it's less than half. the image is desirable even when the bike isn't attainable. If someone did that with Ferrari clothing, they'd be a total douche! I have no idea how HD has made it work!

my brother and I were out for a ride a couple of weekends ago, and 2 HD's stopped next to us at a light. Both riders and both female passengers were completely decked-out in HD gear.

I actually laughed out loud. I just can't picture a scenario where I say to my wife, "hey - wanna go for a ride?" and her response is, "sure! let me go put on my HD tank-top, HD long-sleeved t-shirt, HD denim jacket, and HD sun-glasses!" You'd think HD riders were going to a competition against another bike manufacturer - it's a motorcycle ride, not a cav's game. you don't need the t-shirt...

my gear is to protect me. Theirs is to let everyone know what kind of bike they're on :rolleyes: (none of those 4 had helmets btw - how can you be SEEN with a helmet on!?)

it IS a culture - I just happen to think it's a totally moronic culture. Lucky for HD, there are a lot of lemmings to buy their wares.

Agree.

"nobody buys a drill because they want a drill - they buy a drill because they want a hole."

How often do you see people wearing HD apparel? How many of them do you think actually OWN a bike? I'd bet it's less than half. the image is desirable even when the bike isn't attainable. If someone did that with Ferrari clothing, they'd be a total douche! I have no idea how HD has made it work!

my brother and I were out for a ride a couple of weekends ago, and 2 HD's stopped next to us at a light. Both riders and both female passengers were completely decked-out in HD gear.

I actually laughed out loud. I just can't picture a scenario where I say to my wife, "hey - wanna go for a ride?" and her response is, "sure! let me go put on my HD tank-top, HD long-sleeved t-shirt, HD denim jacket, and HD sun-glasses!" You'd think HD riders were going to a competition against another bike manufacturer - it's a motorcycle ride, not a cav's game. you don't need the t-shirt...

my gear is to protect me. Theirs is to let everyone know what kind of bike they're on :rolleyes: (none of those 4 had helmets btw - how can you be SEEN with a helmet on!?)

it IS a culture - I just happen to think it's a totally moronic culture. Lucky for HD, there are a lot of lemmings to buy their wares.

That's one reason that I didn't buy gear with bike brand names on it. I don't think I'd buy a jacket that has too big of a logo on it for the manufacturer of the jacket, either. I wear Iron Pony t-shirts all the time, because they were free, and to maybe have someone talk about RIDING, not JUST what kind of bike do you ride.

Just about the only brands I rock the name on clothing is Chevrolet, Mac Tools, and Snap-on. They're products that I DO have some loyalty toward, although I do drive a Dodge for my daily driver....

Agree.

lol