Mid Ohio June 7,8

jschaf

I signed up for my first track day(s) at Mid Ohio on June 7th & 8th. Reason being that the police, gravel, deer, etc, etc, etc, have got me down (not literally). Just asking if anyone could give me any insight on what to expect & prepare for. Thanks.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

expect awesome.

prepare to be broke.

If you can get to the track to just WATCH another trackday at Mid-Ohio between now and June 7, do it.

Ideally, you'd want to be there early enough to witness tech inspection and hear the riders' meeting.

If you go to the NESBA day(s), which are some Monday and Tuesday in May, there won't be a gate fee.

I'm also looking to go those dates, but I'll be holding off till closer to the dates for the weather forecast.

From what I remember, its about like this:

Gates will open at 7 and you sign in at the gate (Waiver form, and get here early)

You and anyone coming with you have to sign a waiver form at the entry gate to get in. Then come into the paddock area and find your spot. You go to the middle garage area far right section and check-in for your tech stickers and get your garage # if you rented one. From there, you unload and begin this process:

(Confirm this before going)

7:00-Gates Open

7:15? Tech Inspect starts

8:15-Riders meeting

9:00-Intermediate groups gets on track

9:20-Advanced Group on Track

9:40-Novice Group on Track.

After completion of the Riders Meeting, Novice rider's will break off into your classroom session. You will go over the day and on what you will practice on the session you are about to begin. (You will have one of these after each track riding session until just after lunch most likely) Standard groups were about 4-6 students per instructor which will monitor your progress and safety.

The above time frame cycle will repeat all day for the exact 20min intervals. 3 sessions then Lunch, then 4 sessions to end your day. There are on-sight gas pumps if you don't bring or forgot gas cans and a food stand if its open for a few hours around lunch time.

Edited by SJC1000rr

I'm also looking to go those dates, but I'll be holding off till closer to the dates for the weather forecast.

From what I remember, its about like this:

Gates will open at 7 and you sign in at the gate (Waiver form, and get here early)

You and anyone coming with you have to sign a waiver form at the entry gate to get in. Then come into the paddock area and find your spot. You go to the middle garage area far right section and check-in for your tech stickers and get your garage # if you rented one. From there, you unload and begin this process:

(Confirm this before going)

7:00-Gates Open

7:15? Tech Inspect starts

8:30-Riders meeting

9:00-Intermediate groups gets on track

9:20-Advanced Group on Track

9:40-Novice Group on Track.

After completion of the Riders Meeting, Novice rider's will break off into your classroom session. You will go over the day and on what you will practice on the session you are about to begin. (You will have one of these after each track riding session until just after lunch most likely) Standard groups were about 4-6 students per instructor which will monitor your progress and safety.

The above time frame cycle will repeat all day for the exact 20min intervals. 3 sessions then Lunch, then 4 sessions to end your day. There are on-sight gas pumps if you don't bring or forgot gas cans and a food stand if its open for a few hours around lunch time.

A lot of good info there thanks...I'm almost ready and want to go those dates as well...How much was it and who is organizing it? $200? STT?

I don't have Race Boots yet or Race Gloves. I have full leathers and a helmet...how much would it cost to just rent boots and gloves if I have to?

Thanks for the help guys,

Hope to see you there!

A lot of good info there thanks...I'm almost ready and want to go those dates as well...How much was it and who is organizing it? $200? STT?

I don't have Race Boots yet or Race Gloves. I have full leathers and a helmet...how much would it cost to just rent boots and gloves if I have to?

Thanks for the help guys,

Hope to see you there!

mid ohio is coached by their own staff or NESBA on certain dates.

it should be $195/day unless it is a limited endurance day and there are ohio riders discounts (maybe $10/day is the discount?) also, it is cheaper if you sign up for 2 consecutive days (like weekend dates or mon-tues, etc)

i don't think they rent boots or gloves, just suits. could be wrong.

if you ask on the board, lots of people have offered their spare boots and gloves before.

Thanks for the pointers. Having never ridden track before I signed up for the novice class. I'll be riding down but my wife will be driving down as support.

Novice class has minimal requirements, bring a roll of tape with you to cover all the lights. I recommend "electrical binding tape," which you should be able to find at your local Home Depot or Lowes. It is silver in color, vinyl like electrical tape, but tears easy and has an adhesive that doesn't leave a residue. Blue painter's tape also seems to be popular with folks, doesn't leave residue but also isn't totally opaque. Duct tape or electrical tape would also work, but may leave a mess.

See if you can easily unplug your lights. Headlights might melt adhesive on some tapes, brake lights shine through blue painter's tape. Not a big deal if it's too hard to get to.

Mirrors are best removed, but can be taped at a minimum. I recommend removal of the mount from the fairing rather than taking out the pivot bolt, because it seems you can never get the friction right again on that joint once you take it apart. Upper fairing can be secured with zip ties through the holes or mirror blockoff plates. I got some snazzy blockoff plates with Honda wings engraved on them from www.mirrorplates.com. I might even have some mirror mounts with the mirrors already off of them.

For some reason you also have to remove your license plate or tape over the bolts. You may also have to tape over any wheel weights. Either way, you'll have the tape.

I assume your 2008 bike is in good running condition, but give it a good once-over. Decent tires? Correct chain slack? Brakes firm? Throttle snaps closed? I assume you don't want to drain coolant or safety wire anything, but make sure radiator cap, oil fill, filter and drain plug are tight. If you plan to continue beyond novice, you might want to take care of some of that stuff now, just to not be "that guy."

Bring an extra 5 gallons of gas. If this is too difficult, there is gas there on pump, but I'm not sure what it is or what it costs.

There is a nice concession stand, and I think the new regime is going to provide a light meal from now on, but I always bring a cooler full of water and Gatorade and PowerBars, Clif Bars, etc. to keep going throughout the day.

I recommend you get there a little early to take care of the taping and whatnot. Better to relax a bit than be in a rush.

I'm going to try to sign up for the 7th tomorrow morning. Hope to see you there.

^ Good advice there also.

You will need full gauntlet gloves and over the ankle boots. They aren't that expensive if you call the right people. I call TJ over at Riders Discount for about all my stuff as he can beat just about anyone on gear.

As for bike requirements in Novice, you will need to put a bead of Silicone over:

Oil Filler Cap, Drain Bolt, Oil Filter.

You will also need to tape your wheel weights to the rim (Black Duct tape is my personal fav as it blends with black rims) I also use blue painters tape to prevent any gooey residue on the headlights and brake light, then use the black duct tape over that so it looks better and insures the painters tape won't fall off in the high speed.

If later you want to move up in skill level, you will need to change our your coolant from Honda's Hp Coolant (Green) to a poly-glycol (Evans, 7th Gear, Liquid Performance, and Engine Ice) or Distilled Water+Water Wetter(Which will freeze come winter and need to be changed out to Coolant)

If you're thinking of going those days, post up if anyone else already hasn't and see if you can garage up with them or meet at the track. Most of us that have been there before are pretty helpful and can get you started as to what to expect and so on.

Edited by SJC1000rr

As for bike requirements in Novice, you will need to put a bead of Silicone over:

Oil Filler Cap, Drain Bolt, Oil Filter.

I didn't think that was a Novice requirement. Was that the verdict this past weekend? I saw a staff guy with a rubber glove and a tube of RTV, but I assumed he was hitting up unprepared I and A riders.

http://www.midohio.com/School/Courses/Motorcycles/Performance-Track-Riding#tab4

Ever since I started it was a requirements for all classes. I saw a Novice guy come up for the first time on Saturday and they had him silicone those. Takes 30 seconds to do and is a good piece of mind. Personally, I like to safety wire it all and use a clamp around the filter. Even on the street bike.

it wasnt requirement for novice when STT run mid ohio.since mid ohio take over it is for all levels.as for novice you need now back protector too.if they find out you dont have it ,they not let you ride.same rules NESBA.

Thanks much for all the advice. The information is most helpful. I can't wait for the track. Although you can't do it justice here, any advice on body position on the bike on corners. I've been experimenting with body position on the corners (OH route 26 & 555 etc) & it seems that upper body position (kiss the mirror) is pretty effective in reducing lean angle, hanging your posterior off the bike seems secondary althouth the combination of the two seem to work the best. Any thoughts on that.

I think it depends on the tech who's inspecting your bike. I was ran novice on Apr 24 track day, and he couldn't care less. He asked me if it was, i said no, and he shrugged his shoulders and moved on.

I'll be there on the 7th as well. Hopefully, we'll have better luck with the weather. I was surprised to see that mid-ohio credited us for the april 24/25 dates. I was just expecting it to be a loss.

I'll be there on the 7th as well (hey, my first post!).

I don't have a racing suit, my leather jacket and riding textile pants don't zip together (different manufacturers), so I rented leathers. Any idea what kind of suits they rent? How do they usually fit? Should I come earlier to take care of the leathers renting procedure and putting it on?

I will be arriving on the night before from Cincinnati and will be staying at a local hotel. I will be towing my bike in (will have to rush back home after the track, so rushing riding it home for 3 hours on the superslab after whole day of riding does not excite me). Should I bring the truck with the bike to the track or leave it at the hotel and ride the bike to the track from the hotel? Is there enough/allowed parking for these things at the track?

Thanks, folks.

I'll be there on the 7th as well (hey, my first post!).

I don't have a racing suit, my leather jacket and riding textile pants don't zip together (different manufacturers), so I rented leathers. Any idea what kind of suits they rent? How do they usually fit? Should I come earlier to take care of the leathers renting procedure and putting it on?

I will be arriving on the night before from Cincinnati and will be staying at a local hotel. I will be towing my bike in (will have to rush back home after the track, so rushing riding it home for 3 hours on the superslab after whole day of riding does not excite me). Should I bring the truck with the bike to the track or leave it at the hotel and ride the bike to the track from the hotel? Is there enough/allowed parking for these things at the track?

Thanks, folks.

I think they have S&S leathers this year? Deff get there early just so you have time to get everything unloaded and ready before they even get the day underway.Take your bike and truck to the track there will be plenty of room to park and unload.

• 2 weeks later...

I will also be doing my first track day the 7th. Also i live 5 mins from the track so if theres anybody that whats to meet up the night before and grab a bite to eat or something just so you can meet sombody before you go down there let me know iam down to help who ever i can. Cant wait so if theres anything i can do to help or got any question hit me up.

Thanks

see yea guys there.

Holding off on making my reservation until i can at least get a peak at the weather forecast. Not wanting to wad up the bike since the 12/13 should finish my PN! /prays!

If I go, I'll be reserving a garage with a friend, but would have room for another person or two if anyones interested.

Edited by SJC1000rr

Quick summary list of people that might be/are going on the days.

June 7

jschaf

SJC1000rr-??

RR_MIKE

Deion27

ovd

dragnframe

brn6604

gixxie750

bigd

June 8

jschaf

gixxie750

alienpi

SJC1000rr

Also...

ATTENTION ALL FORUM MEMBERS:

The Mid-Ohio School Performance Track Riding is proud to announce a Forum Member Discount on all 2010 Performance Track Riding dates, excluding Max-Time Twilight events. Enroll in a course at least 14 days prior to the date and receive $10 off your order. Enter the coupon code FORUM2010 in the coupon code box during Step 1 of 8 in the ordering process on www.midohioschool.com to receive your discounted price. Please include your member screen-name and forum in the comments section before completing your order. This has to be included for the discount to be authorized.

We’re looking forward to seeing you on track in 2010

Edited by SJC1000rr
Add Discount