New River Gorge, WV Ride Sat May 15

fox_racing_guy

I plan on doing this ride more than 1 time this year but this is the planned date for the first 1. Last time my total mileage was 536 and I believe Brian's was around the 700 mark riding from the Cyahoga Co area. Start will be 9am and plan on being in the saddle till sundown unless you turn around early. The start point will be the Sheetz gas station located in New Philadelphia here 1281 West High Avenue, New Philadelphia. I'm not posting a map because I hardly ever use them and I don't need 1 for this route but the basic overview is OH RT 800 to the river ( maybe we can take 536 down when we got to Woodsfield though) then take the ferry boat over to WV. From this point we ride along the river till reaching WV 16, from here it's S down to 60 and I think everyone can agree that this is a Hella fun road. Ride over to the bridge and take the old road down into the gorge then return home on the same route.

If the planned date don't work for some of you I'm flexible and can change it if need be but NO SUNDAY's. 97% of this ride is on 2 lane roads ( no highways) and my cruising speed is around the 72, 73 (actual) MPH. I do pass on the double yellow when deemed safe so I hope nobody has issues with that. Lunch will probably be at the same Subway we ate at last year unless 1 of you has a better suggestion. Any other questions/ concerns please feel free to discuss.

Mark

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highly recommend this ride to all hard core riders. I did the route with Racing Guy and some others last year. It was one of the best days of riding I've ever had. I'll be on this one too if I can.

Mark, do you want to post a notice on rideohio.org ? - one of the blokes on last year's ride was from that board.

Edited by bambam
Added question about rideohio.org

... Lunch will probably be at the same Subway we ate at last year unless 1 of you has a better suggestion. Any other questions/ concerns please feel free to discuss.

Mark

Mark, that Subway has become a bit of a tradition for c.o.r.e. people - a group of us stopped at it on the way back from Deals Gap last year also.

Be sure to take a moment to issue the appropriate warnings about local herbal transportation hazards in the area!! :D

I plan on doing this ride more than 1 time this year

we did that ride early april 2010. 616mi. round trip over 3days. we rode Rt.60 from charleston. stayed at motel in fayetteville. we also plan to return this year.

Thats cool if you got family to stay with there. Anyone else considering and you don't think you can handle the mileage I can tell you how to get back to the freeway as well if you need a "chicken out" way back. If you live a long way way from the start point there are many cheap hotels in the area that you could stay at so you would not have to wakeup at 4 or 5 am to make it. I would offer my house but I have a extremely mean & aggressive dog that hates everybody but my immediate family members. I do have enough garage space to park about 6 or 7 bikes though if that is a concern and I could shuttle you back & forth if needed in my car.

I started making this run in 1984 when I was 16 with my father and we would run it just with us 2 or a couple other close friends. Around 1998 when motorcycle message boards started catching on in popularity I started this as a group ride and I've had as many as 17 bikes and as few as myself. In 2002/03 I had lady come along on her Ninja 250 and she did just fine. In all these years I have had only 1 person go down and can you guess what he was riding? A "can-O-tuna" 750 back in 2004. That is another reason I only make this ride on Saturdays, if something does happen you stand a chance of finding a place with parts open or have another day to make arrangements to get your stuff home before having to return to work on Monday. Another reason is if you ride all that way then find you are to tired to continue home you can always stay overnight someplace in WV cheap then ride home at your own leisure on Sunday. I've never had a Harley make the full trip with me but don't let that discourage you if you want to try. Remember though that this is no cruising down the freeway @ 50mph, it's all 2 lane, curvy, wide elevation changes along the way and I cruise around the 70, 75MPH range.

A few photo's from last year.

Mark2.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

WVTrip2005007.jpg

Isabella is one seriously fine looking moto. She puts those other rides to absolute shame.

I wonder if she'll be ready to roll by this date? That DucRx guy is doing her service right now and you know how he is...

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally be down for this ride if it weren't for the "experience disclaimer".... If you wouldn't mind a greenhorn who has some limits as to how far he'll push himself then I'm down! Not saying I'm not fine doing 40+ in some of the twisties or 75 on a 2 lane, I'm just sayin' I'd rather get lost or left behind than let ANYONE ever push me to ride over my head.

If you nor anyone else has a problem with that then I'm in for sure. If there's an issue and you wanna ask me to sit this out till that's not a factor totally understandable. Just let me know soon before I get too anxious about going! :D

I would totally be down for this ride if it weren't for the "experience disclaimer".... If you wouldn't mind a greenhorn who has some limits as to how far he'll push himself then I'm down! Not saying I'm not fine doing 40+ in some of the twisties or 75 on a 2 lane, I'm just sayin' I'd rather get lost or left behind than let ANYONE ever push me to ride over my head.

If you nor anyone else has a problem with that then I'm in for sure. If there's an issue and you wanna ask me to sit this out till that's not a factor totally understandable. Just let me know soon before I get too anxious about going! :D

You are more than welcome to ride along with us and I would definitely not consider the pace "punishing" at any time you don't feel comfortable you can always turn around and back track home or i can give you a route to a near by interstate to slab it home. I think we will picking up a guy in Barnesville riding a DR650 and this won't be a "race pace" by nay stretch of the imagination.

I'll definitely be in to do something like this later in the year when I get a more comfortable bike....Jayson you better be down again whenever that is lol

I'll definitely be in to do something like this later in the year when I get a more comfortable bike....Jayson you better be down again whenever that is lol

haha of course I'm in for any sort of ride as long as my schedule and the weather allows! you know me.... always down for some 2 wheeled fun.

YOU my friend better be down for this ride later this summer. :D

haha of course I'm in for any sort of ride as long as my schedule and the weather allows! you know me.... always down for some 2 wheeled fun.

YOU my friend better be down for this ride later this summer. :D

lol once the Camaro is sold and a more comfortable bike for long distances is in the garage I am

lol once the Camaro is sold and a more comfortable bike for long distances is in the garage I am

Good good. Glad to hear it. You got any ideas for what you wanna get?!

right now I'm leaning towards a Monster, Tuono, VFR or SV650 or SV1000

That's right. I forgot all about you mentioning that at QSL. Ya, my vote still goes to the monster, with the tuono as a close second.