first track day, first impressions

Hoblick

BE AWARE... LONG READ

so im back from my first track day ever.. at Putnam road course.. Thanks again NESBA for the free track day!!

i will say i was a bit nervous before getting to the track, not knowing what to expect, running things through in my head from the keith code dvd... etc etc

The rider meeting was basic, do and donts..

the beginner meeting was a little more informative, but quite alot of info to take in, especially in 20 min or so, and im not really adaptive to listening to somone teach versus seeing it first hand, so the info did me only little good.

feedback and correction on the other hand i can adapt to if someone tells me (we will get into that in a bit)

ok, so it rained till like 6:30 am which was when the gates opened.. and i mean it poured from like 3 am till till that time.

so needless to say the track conditions for a first timer were less than desireable.

i actually sat out the first session per a NESBA guys suggestion.. told me for my first time ever at a track i might want to let the track dry out, especially since i was on dot race tires without warmers.

2nd session

my first time on the track... i was overwhelmed.. sensory overload, so much to think about in little time, trying to follow the CR's line, look for my turn in point, turn in, look at my apex, head for it, look for my exit, slow throttle out of the corner when the bike starts to come out of a lean a bit.

it was so much to think about at one time, i fell back in the pack and my pace was slow... then i didnt have a CR to follow, i was by myself. i was braking to much, to early, my throttle was choppy, i was turning in to early, or to late, i just felt humbled.

after pitting i felt very very humbled, overwhelmed, intimidated. i dont consider myself a great rider by any means, but i though i was a pretty decent rider. after the first session i felt like i had just gotten on a bike.

i went and talked with one of the CR's and asked him for pointers, suggestions etc.. he was never behind me though, so he really had nothing for me. but said that next session he would tow me along a lap, then get behind me to see how i was doing.

2nd session, as he said , the CR lead me around, i tried to follow his line and pace as best i could, while not fixating on him, and keeping my eyes on the track , looking through the turns.

i felt more comfortable this time out, track was more dry, i felt looser, but i still wasnt smooth at all, and i was still heavy on the brakes, and trying to make up ground on the straights.

after a lap he got behind me and followed me for a few laps.

after pitting i went back to him and we talked, he said i looked comfortable on the bike, and didnt see much wrong (didnt feel that way to me :p) he did say i was turning in to a few turns late, as were alot of the other riders.

the rest of the day, i dont think i got any better, faster than my 2nd session, i was still heavy on the brakes at times, and not smooth with the throttle. my main goal after the 2nd session was to try and correct that as much as i could, it got better but it needs alot of work still. and i was also working on locking myself on the bike with my lower body, and keeping my upper body really lose. it was kind of nerve racking at times, and i felt my grip getting tighter on the bars, so id make myself lock in and loosen up.

id probably say i was one of the worst riders in beginner group :p.. just alot of shit at one time lol.

my big problem is confidence in the bike and myself i guess. i know i can go faster trough the turns, but i think i come in to hot and i brake, which im not to hot, i just think it. ill have t just keep working on increasing my entry speed, and corner speed a little bit at a time.

all the other riders there are great, alot of nice folks who asked how i was doing, and after i told them it was my first time ever, and how i felt about how i was doing, they gave me a reassuring "i was there once" or "we all started out there before"

as for NESBA.. nice people, willing to help anyone. I think more control riders could have been in the beginner class. its hard to follow a line of the CR if there is 3 people in front of you then the CR.. you have to follow someone elses line when your learning which may or may not be right. which im sure happened to some people who may have followed me at some points :D

nearing the end of the day it started to mist a quite a bit, and on my last session first lap trying to get the tires up to temp the bike was kinda getting sketchy in the turns, so i made anther lap and grip was better but the back slid out on me a little bit in one turn kind puckered my butt... visor was getting fogged up as well, so i called it a day.

do i like track days? absolutley

i just need alot of work...

id love to have a one on one instructor instead of trying to learn with 15 other people at the same time.

so in closing...

if your going to the gingerman track day.. look for me, ill be at the back of the pack in the beginner group :D

30067_1412652152050_1104906712_31244639_5020096_n.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice,glad you like it.

you get better dont worry.come to mid ohio,you can have one on one instructor.

really?

whats that cost?

id definately be down for that.. i think id learn alot more from a one on one setup

my first time on the track... I was overwhelmed... sensory overload, so much to think about in little time, after pitting I felt very very humbled, overwhelmed, intimidated. I don’t consider myself a great rider by any means, but I though I was a pretty decent rider.

After the first session I felt like I had just gotten on a bike.

I don’t think I got any better, faster than my 2nd session and not smooth with the throttle. I was also working on keeping my upper body really lose. it was kind of nerve racking at times, and I felt my grip getting tighter on the bars, so I’d make myself loosen up.

I’d probably say I was one of the worst riders in beginner group. … Just a lot of shit at one time. lol.

My big problem is confidence in the bike and myself I guess. I know I can go faster trough the turns, but I think I come in to hot and I brake, which I’m not too hot, I just think it. I’ll have t just keep working on increasing my entry speed, and corner speed a little bit at a time.

all the other riders there are great, a lot of nice folks who asked how I was doing, and after I told them it was my first time ever, and how I felt about how I was doing, they gave me a reassuring "I was there once" or "we all started out there before"

Do I like track days? Absolutely

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. It is amazing how much you don't know about riding until you are exposed to additional information. For what a track day costs it’s a great bargain if it can save you the cost of a deductable because now you are on your way to gaining better bike control. Can you learn good bike control riding on the street, sure but it will take you a lot longer and potentially cost you more. This should make you a better safer street rider. Welcome to a whole new way to spend money.

side note, next set of tires will be some PP 2CTs... I don’t see me needing anything more than that for a while, and they will heat up a lot quicker

Good advice to give yourself. Dot race tires have their place but very few people in the beginning group need or will benefit from them.

ok, so it rained till like 6:30 am which was when the gates opened.. and i mean it poured from like 3 am till till that time.

so needless to say the track conditions for a first timer were less than desireable.

I know what you mean here. Last weekend was my first weekend on a track and it was at Putnam also. My first session, I chose to come off the track on the 3rd lap. I was sliding the front, the rear all depending on which turn I was on.

However I had hybrid tires on and they won't grab at all in wet conditions like that.

I didn't get back on until the 3rd session, but sliding all over the place from the first played with my head. That track can look dry but end up being slippery.

2nd session

my first time on the track... i was overwhelmed.. sensory overload

Had this to. All my overload was from my suspension and tires. I've never had feedback like that from the street. It was a weird feeling getting all this at once when I would hit the turns.

after the first session i felt like i had just gotten on a bike.

Your not the only one. Hell I used to wear on my sliders when I would hit the NKY roads. I to felt like I had just learned to ride a bike that day and was slower than what I used to be on the street.

my big problem is confidence in the bike and myself i guess. i know i can go faster trough the turns

That was my biggest problem. After starting in the wet and sliding I had something else play with my head also.

In my third session a guy opened up his liter bike on the straight and got tunnel vision. He split two guys in front of me right as we started our turn. HE forgot to turn and had to go straight off. That also played with me.

By my last session I was starting to let loose and open up, then before the first lap was over the rain hit again. That ended my day.

After all that, not having lived up to my OWN expectations, I to even thought about coming home and selling all my bikes.

I know I'm a hell of a lot better than what I did that day. I personally just have some ghost to deal with in my head. I realize that drunk messed up my head more than what I thought and has put a fear there, I didn't have before.

Next track time, which is 10th/11th at Mid O, I'm just gonna be like Luke Skywalker in Star Wars. I'm gonna let go of fear and use the Force. I know I have it, just got to find it again like I used to..

you'd even be fine with just normal PP's, save some money that way.

i rode my PP's all the way up into A class.

also, was your suspension setup correctly? mainly sag, what about spring weight for your body mass?

day 1 i felt nearly the same as you, got new springs and oil for the next time around and jumped to A class in two days.

you'd even be fine with just normal PP's, save some money that way.

i rode my PP's all the way up into A class.

also, was your suspension setup correctly? mainly sag, what about spring weight for your body mass?

day 1 i felt nearly the same as you, got new springs and oil for the next time around and jumped to A class in two days.

i bought the bike off a friend, and the suspension was setup to his weight. we are the same weight so i figured it should be close enough for the time being.

i was gonna have turn one set it up, but they were booed for the entire day.

so if anyone wants to help with setting up the suspension let me know ive got free beer waiting for you :D

the main purpose of writing up this thread was just to show anyone who hasnt done a track day, but wants to do one, what to expect.

im not saying everyone will have the same outcome as me, but you will be humbled. i think its a great learning experience and puts thing in perspective.

and damn its a great feeling tucking coming out of turn 10 and just clickin through the gears.. slide over on the seat a bit, own shift, down shift, apply brake s a tad, and bend into turn one :D

my favorite turn is turn 8... dont know why, but even if i was a few bike lengths behind someone i would carry way more speed in that turn and catch them. i think that turn is the most lean angle i got too lol..

just felt real comfortable on that turn all day

i bought the bike off a friend, and the suspension was setup to his weight. we are the same weight so i figured it should be close enough for the time being.

i was gonna have turn one set it up, but they were booed for the entire day.

so if anyone wants to help with setting up the suspension let me know ive got free beer waiting for you :D

the main purpose of writing up this thread was just to show anyone who hasnt done a track day, but wants to do one, what to expect.

im not saying everyone will have the same outcome as me, but you will be humbled. i think its a great learning experience and puts thing in perspective.

and damn its a great feeling tucking coming out of turn 10 and just clickin through the gears.. slide over on the seat a bit, own shift, down shift, apply brake s a tad, and bend into turn one :D

my favorite turn is turn 8... dont know why, but even if i was a few bike lengths behind someone i would carry way more speed in that turn and catch them. i think that turn is the most lean angle i got too lol..

just felt real comfortable on that turn all day

call Brian he can set up your suspension $ 75.614 282 44 09

he racing and he is also instructor at mid ohio.he can help you one on one there

Sounds like you did just fine. IMHO NESBA B is a bit crazy for a first time track rider. You'll find a much more structured program at your STT Gingerman day.

How many other people raised there hand as a first time rider at the rider's meeting? I'm a 3 year 20+ day NESBA B rider. Don't worry about where you fall in "the pack" your first time out.

+1 on regular PPs.

Sounds like you did just fine. IMHO NESBA B is a bit crazy for a first time track rider. You'll find a much more structured program at your STT Gingerman day.

How many other people raised there hand as a first time rider at the rider's meeting? I'm a 3 year 20+ day NESBA B rider. Don't worry about where you fall in "the pack" your first time out.

+1 on regular PPs.

i think me and another guy were the only 2 who raised our hands lol