2008 R6 Cooling Question

Decimation

I've been told a few ways too cool down the engine after a long ride. I used to just kill the engine and let the fan run until it turned itself off. That was, until someone told me that that was almost useless and the best way was to just ride at low RPMs for the last few miles of the ride. Anybody have any input and/or a better way?

I'll go ahead and answer for Isaac's papa.

1. running the fan does nothing but kill your battery. the water isn't circulating with the engine off.

2. a running engine still makes heat. riding it just keeps it hot. it's not going to heat up beyond what it already is no matter how hard you're riding it.

air flow through the radiator guarantees that.

your bike will not blow up because it's turned off in the summer heat.

Edited by serpentracer

I'll go ahead and answer for Isaac's papa.

1. running the fan does nothing but kill your battery. the water isn't circulating with the engine off.

2. a running engine still makes heat. riding it just keeps it hot. it's not going to heat up beyond what it already is no matter how hard you're riding it.

air flow through the radiator guarantees that.

your bike will not blow up because it's turned off in the summer heat.

Ok, but they argued that the ram-air in the front of the R6 will cool it down more, thus keeping the running heat lower. I'm not sure I trust just killing the engine when the bike is at 215F.

The ONLY way to keep your bike cool in the summer heat is to turn it completely off, then push it down a hill to keep those ram air ducts sucking air in.

Preferably there's a refrigerator truck at the bottom of the hill - that's how the real pros do it. They keep their bikes on ice.

Ok, but they argued that the ram-air in the front of the R6 will cool it down more, thus keeping the running heat lower. I'm not sure I trust just killing the engine when the bike is at 215F.

the ram air is for the intake. (the air filter housing) it has nothing to do with the radiator.

like I said, air moving through the radiator is what keeps them cool.

if you turned it off, and let it coast down a 3 mile hill, the air rushing over the engine will cool it to a point. and the air through the radiator will cool the coolant in the radiator. but not the engine. the hot coolant is still inside the engine. that's why you have a water pump. but it only runs when the engine is running.

my bike has almost 40k miles on it. It's been turned off when it's that hot hundreds of times.

I'm not going to roll into his shop, have him see my bike, and have him instantly think "Shit, not THIS retard." Nah son, homie don't play that.

Yea... you're on the EXACT same footing as everyone else.

He's an equal opportunity dumbass-hater.

What the hell is the fan for, then? It doesn't come on until the bike is at 214F.

it comes on at those temps because if it reaches that temp, that usually means you are sitting in traffic etc. no air rushing over the radiator. so the fan has to do it.

if it's coming on while you are riding (moving) you have issues.

it comes on at those temps because if it reaches that temp, that usually means you are sitting in traffic etc. no air rushing over the radiator. so the fan has to do it.

if it's coming on while you are riding (moving) you have issues.

I see...I really appreciate the info, man.

The fan simulates forward motion of the motorcycle. It forces air through the fins to lower temps at a standstill. That is its main function. When you are moving it really isn't a necessary item.

For the record' date=' 214F isn't very hot. Just ride the bike and stop worrying. Everything is operating as it should.

I'd apologize for my sarcastic remarks, but that just ain't my style. :lol:[/quote']

I appreciate it, man. I didn't mean to be insulting, I just tend to have a short temper. The Marine Corps will do that to you.

If you were to pull off an exit and shut your bike down immediately, it would be as cool as it's ever going to get. Trouble is, nobody lives at a rest area so the bike just keeps getting hotter from the time you exit 'til you get home. In this heat that means about 225° when you hit the driveway. The engine can take that but if you want to try to ease it's pain you can pull in, set a fan pointed at the radiator and then after a while start the engine for a few seconds to clear the bearings and circulate cool water in.

Cool-down is not exactly unimportant. Heavy equipment operators go through a regimented cool-down process at the end of every running. Why? The engines are expensive and they want to make them last as long as possible.

Cars actually have it much easier. When you sit at a light in your car, the engine is cooling down. On your bike, it's heating up.

This thread makes me giggle, and Paulie I applaud your restraint. I'm actually surprised at the restraint, you must be feeling sick or something.

Because everyone on this website has the Godlike knowledge that you do. Just because someone owns a motorcycle, doesn't mean they know everything about it. This is why I ask questions. If I didn't, I'd end up destroying a $10,000 motorcycle. If anyone is showing restraint, it's the ones that have to sift through the "holier than thou" bullshit to find the answers they need.

You're prolly not gonna last long around here. Need thicker skin a better sense of humor and a better understanding of sarcasim. Good luck.

Heh, trust me, I have thick skin and my sense of humor is there, albeit witty and dry. Also, if someone whose spelling is that of a 5th grader's has lasted this long, I'm sure I'll do just fine ;)

Come lecture me about hot when the bike you're riding runs 240* in traffic... ;)

It's perfectly fine to just shut it down hot. The motor isn't going to create any more heat because there's no more controlled explosions inside that aluminum case. The coolant will absorb some of the heat and then over a period of time the whole thing will start to cool. Don't worry.