this is what i've been doing the past month...

natedogg624

1984 Yamaha RZ350 Kenny Roberts ed (2-stroke)

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1027.jpg

i've been repairing/restoring this bike to running condition for my dad's friend. He's the original owner, only 3000 miles on it and its been sitting for the past 6 years.

So far its come along way, first goal is getting it started which req'd cleaning the carbs and ordering new parts (mostly rubber gaskets/hoses/seals etc). I also had to clean the airbox completely from a few generations of mice nests that have come and gone. I should hopefully have it started by the weekend as long as the gas tank isn't rusting out. In the meantime while i've been waiting around for parts, i've been washing the fairings/tank getting that famous yellow to shine again. I really enjoy working on this bike, especially learning the 2-stroke deal

I just can't wait to ride it when its all said and done

cleaned up and waxed the fairings tonight, that yellow is even more brilliant than i thought and after 20 years still looks very good.

got my other wave of parts in, hopefully get it started tomorrow after i change the oil, and prime the 2stroke oil.

OMG, An RD-400 was the first street bike I ever rode. It brings back memories. Come to think of it, they are not all good memories. The coil is a POS!!! Any way that is a really cool find. Good luck with the rebuild.

now i remember why i got rid of my old carb'd R6...

man what a PITA this is.

won't run without the choke, but the choked idle is at the point of what a regular idle should be (~1500), so im going to try and raise the idle tomorrow and see if that helps. i also think i need to increase the amount of turns in the idle mixture screw.

anyone else have thoughts to add?

now i remember why i got rid of my old carb'd R6...

man what a PITA this is.

won't run without the choke, but the choked idle is at the point of what a regular idle should be (~1500), so im going to try and raise the idle tomorrow and see if that helps. i also think i need to increase the amount of turns in the idle mixture screw.

anyone else have thoughts to add?

i would say raise the idle a lot...i had this problem with my vmax and that fixed it...was running rich as bill gates so i rejetted it and it wouldnt even start hardly....after fighting with it for like 5 mins i got it started and it wouldnt even idle....turned the idle up a LOT and it finally started to idle...its crazy how many times i had to turn the screw, especially considering with the other jets it would idle semi-fine before messing with it...now it idles at 4k with the choke and 1500 without the choke...i have the idle up a little high because if i idle it lower it likes to studder some and will occasionally die out at real long stop lights

I've been looking for one semi-seriously for a while now.

If pop's friend wants to sell it...

I remember ripping up and down the streets of Clintonville on a buddy's RD 350 or 400 at stupid fast speeds back in the day. Shorts, tennis shoes. Helmet? Nah, didn't need one of those. :nono:

Young, dumb, and full of, umm, stupidity. Invincible at 15. Somehow lived through all the stupid shit I did.

YOU NEED TO BUY THAT BIKE IF POSSIBLE! I would love to find a nice RZ350. They were just coming out when I was in Junior High. Guys a couple years older than me that were of legal driving age had them and I was so envious. Those and then the Interceptor 500. Seriously bad ass to a 15 year old.