GI: Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride 2010?

armith

I've been asked occasionally over the last few months whether or not I was planning on organizing another Covered Bridge tour. The answer, I'm interested if your interested.

I'm open to suggestions but I'd like to keep the general format of the ride the same as last year.. it went way more smoothly than I had ever imagined.

So here is the start.. I will update details over the next few weeks.. comments/suggestions welcome.. PM me your availability.

DETAILS:

Who: Anyone.. all types of bikes (very 2up friendly!!!)

What: Tour of Ashtabula County Covered Bridges

Where: Astabula County

When: rescheduled Saturday, Oct. 16th

Why: See historical landmarks and a little autumn color

Time: Kickstands up at 11am end maybe ~ 5pm

What this is: relaxed paced, meet and greet with plenty of stops for pictures and such.

What this isn't: a Race or good area for killing chicken strips. These just aren't those kind of roads.

Meeting spot: Sheetz @ 10:00am. 2411 North Ridge Road East Ashtabula OH 44004

Coming from I-90 take the Ashtabula Rt 11 exit (exit 228) North.

Proceed up Rt 11 for about 3.5 miles to the Ashtabula US20 exit.. Turn left onto US20 Sheets will be on your right

Route:

1.meeting place Sheetz Rt 20/Rt 11 10-10:30am.. quick riders meeting gas, snacks, bathroom

2.depart 11am - Smolen-Gulf (group bike photo op), Benetka Rd, State Rd., Root Rd., Graham Rd (optional), S. Denmark Rd, Netcher Rd.

3.War memorial, break in Jefferson (Gas, drinks, bathroom ,etc.)

4.Doyle Rd, Riverdale Rd

5.Covered Bridge Pizza (Andover) for late lunch 2pm (group bike photo op)

6.Windsor Mills, Harpersfield Rd, West Liberty St.(if the bridge is ready)

7. Will be near I-90 for everyone head home (sun sets around 7).. depending on time and weather I may still make a stop to Ashtabula Harbor for photos and check out the 1st annual octoberfest at the harbor.

skipping:

-Mechanicville (another event going on has bridge closed to traffic)

-Olin (with detours and Dewey Rd road conditions, just best to skip this year)

-Caine rd. (dirt access, very rough loose gravel, all good photo spots are marked No Trespassing/Private Property)

-Creek Rd (out of the way & very narrow, kinda tricky access road)

-Middle Rd (dirt access)

-Giddings Rd (dirt access)

This route is looking to be right around 110 or so miles..

Notes:

-If the turnout is large enough we will likely break out into 2 groups.. As impressive as it looks to roll with 30+ bikes, keeping the whole group together end to end creates safety issues. We had 7 bikes (and a dunebuggy) last year and that worked out great.

DSC_0061.jpg

Who's in:

armith (2up)

Tony07R6

Magley64

wfrpalm

Isaac's Papa

scottb

danballa

Pedro

hollywood3586

slowroller

jbctown

Maybe:

Bad324

jporter12

joshfz.2008

bmwnut

MarkB

vfrrwb

Edited by armith
detail update
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

first weekend in october may be a no go for me. Saturday definitely not gonna work, Sunday may. My buddies wedding is that Friday evening and I know he would like to go too but will depend on his wedding and honeymoon schedule

I'm just happy I have a bike this time that will be much more comfortable

I picked first weekend in Oct. because Ashtabula County has it's Covered Bridge festival the 2nd weekend.. It'd be hell to contend with tour busses, and tourist traffic.. Also I pick the week before because any construction, maintenance, repairs to these century plus old bridges is typically finalized just before the festival.

Rain date Oct. Sat 16th or Sun 17th right now looks good.. Though we may start running into cooler weather.. On the other hand the leaves should be changing by this point and could make for better autumn pictures.

I picked first weekend in Oct. because Ashtabula County has it's Covered Bridge festival the 2nd weekend.. It'd be hell to contend with tour busses, and tourist traffic.. Also I pick the week before because any construction, maintenance, repairs to these century plus old bridges is typically finalized just before the festival.

Rain date Oct. Sat 16th or Sun 17th right now looks good.. Though we may start running into cooler weather.. On the other hand the leaves should be changing by this point and could make for better autumn pictures. I understand that not everyone rides in sub freezing temps so weather does become a little more of a factor..

Personally, I'm good either way.. if the weekend of the 16th works out better for people then I'm willing to adjust.

Also, what are we thinking in terms of how many bridges we want to see? Of the 17, only about 14 on paved roads.. I think we knocked out 11 or 12 last year and that took all day..

we could reduce down to 7 or 8 bridges and hit a few other touristy stuff. (Ashtabula Harbor and lift bridge, Geneva On The Lake, the war memorial with the Chopper, etc..

Did we want to try to do dinner at Covered Bridge Pizza again or maybe arrange hookers and blow at Magleys? Like how I volunteered you to solidify this to be an Official O-R event??:D

Did we want to try to do dinner at Covered Bridge Pizza again or maybe arrange hookers and blow at Magleys? Like how I volunteered you to solidify this to be an Official O-R event??:D

i'd say either same covered bridge, or try to edit the route to hit the andover one this time...either way.

no body cares about your schedule or if you show up :p you could always stay at home and I will ride your bike for you :D

#1 sammich maker spoke....why don't you guys ride double...and make some veggie sammich along the road...:fruit:

Well try to narrow down the day.. Does Saturday or Sunday work better for everyone? My goal is to iron it down to Saturday, Oct 2nd with a raindate of Oct. 16th.

But if Sunday works out better for most people then we can bump it.