do you allow test rides when selling?

redkow97

I'd never purchase a bike I hadn't ridden, but at the same time, i'm very hesitant to let some yahoo who just got his temps take off on the bike i'm selling...

What's your policy?

hang onto their license?

have a "you break it, you bought it" agreement pre-written before they show up?

cash-in-hand before you let them ride? If so, how much? I totally expect that the sale price will be below my asking price...

When I sold my F2, I had seen the buyer ride his 636 at a trackday, and the F2 wasn't street-legal, so I knew he wasn't going far (or fast) on the street. He'd also seen me take the bike through its paces at the track more than once, so we were both pretty comfortable with the situation. \

This is way different.

I'd use my discretion.

Selling just about any scooter I'd probably just take their licence. If I was selling a liter bike I might take cash in hand first depending on the "feel" I get from them.

If I knew there person and know they are a good rider of course that would be a different story.

It's a predicament because fact is, letting them ride it sells the bike. But of course you don't want them to crash it. I guess you could just make sure they are insured.

Yah, I gotta be honest. If I showed up to look at a bike and the guy says. Cash in hand to ride it I might be a little put off. Probably more put off than if they just said "no test rides" Even though I can respect either stance, they are likely to miss out on my sale either way. Again, I guess it depends on the situation. If it's a really really good deal I might over look these problems. If it's not a great deal and there are plenty of other bikes like it available I'd probably move on.

At the very least I'd want them to ride it in front of me to show me it works properly.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if the person shows up and can show that they have a valid motorcycle endorsement and are insured to ride my bike then I'd probably let them ride it because ultimately the bike needs to sell itself.

Yah, I gotta be honest. If I showed up to look at a bike and the guy says. Cash in hand to ride it I might be a little put off. Probably more put off than if they just said "no test rides" Even though I can respect either stance, they are likely to miss out on my sale either way. Again, I guess it depends on the situation. If it's a really really good deal I might over look these problems. If it's not a great deal and there are plenty of other bikes like it available I'd probably move on.

At the very least I'd want them to ride it in front of me to show me it works properly.

I guess what I'm getting at is, if the person shows up and can show that they have a valid motorcycle endorsement and are insured to ride my bike then I'd probably let them ride it because ultimately the bike needs to sell itself.

cash in hand prevents joy rides

why would it put you off unless you have no intention of actually purchasing the bike?

im not gonna let every broke ass 16yr old come by my place, joy ride and rape my shit, and then just leave.....cash in hand shows they are atleast semi-serious about buying it

and insurance covers the vehicle, it doesnt matter if that person is insured or not, if YOU have insurance on your bike, its good to go

if they pull outta the driveway, give it too much gas, and dump it - you have cash in your hand, and they have a new bike......if not, theyre gonna pick it up, give it back, say "wow im sorry - but i dont even have the money to pay for it...your insurance will cover it, seeya"

then youre stuck with a wrecked bike, no money, and your only option now is to sell it wrecked, or to claim it on insurance and watch your rates go up

in this case, the kid admitted he just got his temps; which I was expecting given that it's an EX500 i'm selling...

He said he had to find a friend to come with him so the friend could ride it. I'll happily ride up and down the street in front of him and take the bike through the gears.

This is why private sale is more complicated. When I say I'd be put off. I don't mean I'd be pissed. I just mean I'd be feeling like I don't know if this guy is really interested in selling the bike or not.

I understand all the consequences of letting someone ride your bike that you don't know. It's just a predicament because letting a person actually see what they are buying really helps them along in the process of buying it.

As far as joy rides. I think that is less common than you think. Very few people who don't know how to ride are going to be brazen enough to call up a complete stranger and go out and "rape" their bikes if nothing else out of fear for their own safety. If you actually get a buyer that shows up with cash in hand the "test ride" is probably just a formality. They were gonna buy the bike anyway.

From a legal standpoint. You having their cash in your hand when they wreck your bike doesn't really do much for you. You still need to sign over the title and all that. You having their cash in hand might help you to strong arm them into the sale but in reality I don't think it means much. I would think this sort of thing would become a civil matter if you couldn't come to some sort of agreement right there, whether you had cash in your hand or not.

I'm just saying. I've never had cash in hand for any test drives and I've never had any problems. I have sold more cars than bikes though. I think I only sold 1 bike actually and it was my friends scooter. But... if I was selling my ducati for instance. Someone would really need to ride it to understand why they want it. I'm not selling it though.

Edited by vw151

I've went with friends to buy bikes and I've been surprised at how often there's just a verbal, if u break it u buy it. I think if I were selling a bike I'd get it in writing. I found this on the interwebs.

BILL OF SALE – MOTORCYCLE

August 27, 2010

For the consideration of $X,000.00 I, Joe Blow, of Anywhere, OH (“Seller”), hereby sell, assign and transfer to Jane Doe, of Nowhere, OH (“Buyer”), the following described motorcycle (“Vehicle”).

Make: XXX

Model: XXX

Year: XXX

VIN: XXXXXXXXXX

Seller states that the mileage reading on the Odometer at time of sale is x,xxx miles. Seller certifies that to the best of Seller’s knowledge, this reading reflects the actual mileage of the Vehicle. Further, the Vehicle’s odometer has not been altered, set back or disconnected while in Seller’s possession, nor does seller have knowledge of anyone else doing so.

Buyer acknowledges the above odometer statement:

_______________________ (Buyer’s Acknowledgement)

Buyer Name

Seller warrants that the Vehicle is free and clear of any liens or encumbrances.

The Vehicle is being transferred on as “AS IS” basis, with not warranties, express or implied, as to the condition of the Vehicle.

Seller certifies the statements made in the Bill of Sale are true, to the best knowledge of the Seller.

TEST RIDE INFORMATION: If Buyer returns vehicle to Seller within 1 hour of purchase, in its original condition (save for additional mileage), Seller will fully refund the sale price and Seller will retain title to the vehicle.

________________________Start time of test ride:

________________________Buyer’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions

Buyer Name

________________________Seller’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions

Seller Name

Transfer of the Vehicle is effective August 27, 2010.

__________________________ (Seller)

Seller Name

I'd never purchase a bike I hadn't ridden, but at the same time, i'm very hesitant to let some yahoo who just got his temps take off on the bike i'm selling...

What's your policy?

hang onto their license?

have a "you break it, you bought it" agreement pre-written before they show up?

cash-in-hand before you let them ride? If so, how much? I totally expect that the sale price will be below my asking price...

I know that this is a different animal, but a guy that I used to work for, along with his dad would go out and test drive CARS with no intention of buying them. They had a competition to see who could blow up the motor on the test drive. He told me multiple stories about blowing up the motor then calling the seller and telling them where it was sitting and to come pick it up. Then, one would pick up the other and they would be gone before the owner arrived.

CASH IN HAND!

Cash in hand. If they want to see it run, they can follow me in their car. Did this when I sold my TL1000, and worked fine. Too many stories of disappearing bikes. And you KNOW that if the rider crashes it, odds are they're not gonna fix it.

I've bought some either way. Sometimes it's not necessary to ride one. I'd never let a stranger ride my bike, regardless if I was selling it or not.

Now the horror story... A friend from long ago, a Honda mechanic, let a stranger take a check ride on his early model Honda 750 he was selling. The guy takes off in this residential neighborhood, little rolling hills, and goes full blast around the block several times, like a race track, till he dumps it. He apologized and handed over a check for the damages. The check was worthless. Life sucks.

Generally, there's been some communication before the guy shows up. I've always allowed test rides and I haven't had a problem. If the guy sounded shady, I wouldn't. I've had guns for sale on many occasions and have turned away potential buyers just based on phone conversation or email.

Now if I had a $10,000 liter bike, I would probably tighten up my rules.