best way to get rid of dead car?

redkow97

For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation, I ended up getting $200 from a junk place for the neon.

I should have held out for more though. The car only had 86,000 miles on the engine, and the mechanic made some comment about how he would have made me an offer if he'd known I was going to get rid of it.

Sort of makes sense - he was driving a 90's Suburban that gets 12 mpg on its best day, and without paying for labor to swap the transmission, He'd be looking at a car with less than half the mileage that gets double the fuel economy for about $1500...

Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Anyway, the "new" cage is my mother-in-law's 2005 Nissan Altima. I'm not crying over the 2.5 liter I-4, but I would have been thrilled if it weren't an automatic.

I got "take good care of my daughter" pricing from my father in law, so despite the fact that it's not exactly what I would have picked out myself, the deal was far too good to pass up.

a 5 year old car with only 35,000 miles on it is hard to find. One I could reasonably afford is impossible to find...

I haven't had much of an opportunity to really play with the car and see if it's any fun to drive, so this first full tank of gas is going to be a test of fuel economy. I'm consciously nursing the throttle to see if I can crack 30mpg. I think 27 is more realistic, but I can dream...

the altima isn't a bad car... sort of soulless and not as fun (esp in auto) but has a decent interior for the price and the engine should prove to be basically bullet proof. dunno about that tranny... their manuals are ok (a little clunky, but lasts forevar) but i haven't heard much about their automagic.

it should be quite a bit nicer to get around than the neon though. at least from what i remember of the old neons, anyway.

If it gets you from point A to point B and back again, that that's a good thing. You might be able to get 30 out of it. I get at least 40 out of my tercel but I hypermile. It isn't uncommon for me to shift to neutral, it's a manual, and shut the car off while I coast.

Disclaimer: This is not recommended due to loss of power steering and power brakes. Not to mention this can be bad on some autos. I do not endorse this activity.

the altima isn't a bad car... sort of soulless and not as fun (esp in auto) but has a decent interior for the price and the engine should prove to be basically bullet proof. dunno about that tranny... their manuals are ok (a little clunky, but lasts forevar) but i haven't heard much about their automagic.

it should be quite a bit nicer to get around than the neon though. at least from what i remember of the old neons, anyway.

I'm fairly certain the auto trans in the Altima's are the same as the ones in the G35 which mine was absolutely a beast for being an auto. Took abuse with minimal signs of wear. The only complaint would be it burnt up ATX fluid quicker than any other vehicle I had, but like I said I didn't baby the sucker

• 2 weeks later...

I would be happy to be the driver!! Have always wanted to do that! Have a full face mask helmet, and ready to tear stuff up! LOL You might be able to get Ohio Rider as a sponsor? Or at least possibly get a few of the group to chip in to help.

I would be happy to be the driver!! Have always wanted to do that! Have a full face mask helmet, and ready to tear stuff up! LOL You might be able to get Ohio Rider as a sponsor? Or at least possibly get a few of the group to chip in to help.

Next year, Hartford Fair. First week of August. The shop where I work has been in the derby every year that I've been here, until this year. Lack of interest. I'll try to remember to bring this back up in July.