HVAC Programmable Thermostat Question

tyler524

I am looking at getting a good programmable thermostat so that it can cool down a bit at night while we are sleeping and during the day but have it be warm in the morning and evening. I figured some of you HVAC guys on here or others who have some might give me some advice on what I should look at buying. i have seen a few of the night programmable touch screen ones that are pretty enticing to me.

I have one. It's a touch screen, 7 day, morn, afternoon, eve and night. Get one like that so you have complete control. Some of them only have m-f and the weekend. My was a gift but you can get them about anywhere, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, Lowes....

What Shitty said too. You can actually use more energy to reheat it back up instead of not turning it down so low and letting it maintain. Most of the brands are pretty good, just don't get a $10 one. Expect probably $40 at least, although it's been awhile since I priced them. Like I said before, the best are the ones with 7 days and 4 time changes.

I've got a LUX TX1500, average priced a few years back. I use it to do just what you are looking for,

I keep the heat down after 11pm and have it warm back up by 5am, then cooler again between 7am and 5pm.

05_TX1500_Web.jpg

Honeywell is usually the winner, but the one we have here is crap. The heat is oil. I don't know if that makes the difference or not, but it takes batteries, and it's to the point where the batteries are lucky to make it past 2 weeks. I need to fix this thing.

it takes batteries, and it's to the point where the batteries are lucky to make it past 2 weeks. I need to fix this thing.

Time for a new one. I think I've replaced the batteries in mine maybe 3 times in 7 years?

Time for a new one. I think I've replaced the batteries in mine maybe 3 times in 7 years?

I need to check into it first, I know only certain t-stats are compatible with oil furnaces. I don't know if the t-stat actually supplies the control voltage or what. I really doubt it though, as it's 3 AA batteries. I've been lazy about it, I guess I need to do something soon, since we've been using it some.

I need to check into it first, I know only certain t-stats are compatible with oil furnaces. I don't know if the t-stat actually supplies the control voltage or what. I really doubt it though, as it's 3 AA batteries. I've been lazy about it, I guess I need to do something soon, since we've been using it some.

NO. Thermostats (regular or programmable) are nothing more than a "switch" that turns the furnace/ac on/off based on your settings, they produce no voltage.

Clean the battery contacts. Maybe a cheap fix. You're losing power somewhere, and bad contacts would eat it up.

NO. Thermostats (regular or programmable) are nothing more than a "switch" that turns the furnace/ac on/off based on your settings' date=' they produce no voltage.[/quote']

And that's what I thought to be the case, from all that I have experienced. I'm just owndering why oil-fired require the t-stat to be compatable?