What Is The $297.17 Ducati Screw?

Disclaimer

I'm wondering if it's a typo' date=' and the price should be $29.71..???[/quote']

that sounds more realistic. but, iirc, ti hardware has to be machined entirely. they cant be drawn like other materials. i used to use a lot of that in a past job.

hmmmm, I had one of those on a weapons development at work. $500 bucks each. I jumped on the bike at lunch, went to Columbus Fasteners, and got 4 for 2 bucks. Matched the required specs and everything perfect. Weird...

Read the comments, a couple of people saw the reason. It does appear to be a forged blank, centerless ground, and the threads appear to be ground also. Very expensive. Plus the endless destructive testing of each batch, to guarantee that it will actually work as required. Hard to produce, and hard to prove it. Aircraft fasteners of this type are often hundreds of dollars. And yes, really tough steel can be as impossible to work with as titanium.

Not that it justifies the price' date=' but that looks like titanium to me. :dunno:[/quote']

we sell titanium bolts at work... hardly 3 bills. although it might be some super strong type of titanium or some shit. are there grades of titanium? like a grade 8 bolt?

that sounds more realistic. but, iirc, ti hardware has to be machined entirely. they cant be drawn like other materials. i used to use a lot of that in a past job.

I worked for my uncle at his research lab for a few summers in college; we drew a wire that had a titanium core down to a few micrometers. It was dicey, and I almost lost my face to our gripper and pneumatic draw bench a few times. But we were going for something different than a solid titanium fastener.

I don't remember whether it was a success or failure.

No that's me...

Well that saves me the cost of roofies next time we have an OR get together!

Edited by dorifto240

Never heard of a titanium bolt the could take that cind of pressure. All the aftermarket rod bolts I've used were steel.

Theres probably not as much stress as you think there and I would bet it is Grade 5 Ti (6Al-4V) which is an alloy Ti and is used in military and aerosace applications. It has a minimum tensile around 130 KSI and minimum yield around 120 KSI.

I was just spec'ing out the same stuff for my buddies shop to build a few suppressors and its stronger then allot of steel.