I now own an $8000 paper weight

Vulcan_Rider

My car stalled out yesterday and wouldnt restart so i had it towed to Firestone. They called me this morning and told me the bottom end of the motor came apart and I need a new motor. I get it shit happens its a used car but I have only had it for 6 months and it has 80,000 miles on it. I talked to the dealership that I bought it from today and the guy told me he has to talk to the GM tomorrow to see what he can do. From his tone and all the comments about I should have bought a warranty and I should have brought it in as soon as I heard a noise I have a feeling they are not gonna do a damn thing to help me. I fucking hate cars sometimes. :rant:

How long have you heard a noise from it, and what does "bottom end came apart" mean exactly, or did they not tell you? That sucks if its an '06 and it has already failed catastrophically like that. If you seriously can get a new engine for $100 at U Wrench It like casper said, I would go that route.

2006 Chrysler Pacifica

Ouch...not to throw salt in the wound...but i find chrysler's are teh suck. My brother had a sebring and it A- Ran like shit and then B- caught on fire. Or...Demitrix could have done it. Either or. :p

However, the pacifica's too aren't bad. 250 hp for a suv? Not too shabby.

Best of luck man. Hope you get it taken care of. I know i would be livid right now. This is why i hate buying anything mechanical. Keep us updated.

You might have better luck with Chrysler on a "goodwill warranty" towards at least parts.

Component Description:

6. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 35 Bulletin Date: Aug 2006 Vehicle: 2,006 Chrysler Pacifica Summary:

ENGINE CONNECTING ROD BEARINGS MIGHT HAVE SAND LIKE DEBRIS. THIS COULD CAUSE EXCESSIVE WEAR ON THE ROD BEARINGS OR COULD RESULT IN ENGINE FAILURE. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10020669 )

Component Description:

8. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE Bulletin Number: 06025 Bulletin Date: Jul 2006 Vehicle: 2,006 Chrysler Pacifica Summary:

3.5L #2 ROD BEARING AND CRANKSHAFT JOURNAL INSPECTION FOR CONTAMINATION. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10020192 )

Independent engine shops will generally rebuild your motor for 1000-1500 plus parts.

I'd be interested to find out what caused the failure. Unfortunately, it's tough to figure out at times.

The Explorer I have, it was easy, several inches of stuff in the oil pan that resembled wheel bearing grease. I got it that way, replaced the rod bearing and cleaned out the pan, and it's running pretty well.

My Intrepid that I've had for about 8 years, not so lucky to know the why, but the 2 rod bearings I've had fail, did not spin, did not hurt the crankshaft, and I was able to replace the failing bearings and drive it. The first bearing was over 100k miles ago, the second was about 8-10k ago. The bearings looked like they were peeling, and according to a bearing failure analysis chart, it was surface fracturing. According to the machine shop we use at the shop, it's from the really high cylinder pressures, high operating temperatures, and basically the engine being ran near its design limits, with over 200 HP from 2.7 liters, and enough torque to move a full sized car down the road without feeling like it's slow.

Firestone diagnostics, um....

Wobble in front end is a $500 front end job. Prolly needs s steering rack as well for only $1300 more. Jeez mister, Id be afraid to drive it like that......

I found a bad belt in the tire, new tire from Wally World, end of wobble.

On another occasion I asked that they change the alternator belt, $5 V-belt is a $75 serpentine belt...

Umm, perhaps a second opinion?

I mean the highly technical "bottom end of the motor came apart" is so very descriptive. Perhaps, drop the oil pan and tighten a bolt, replace pan gasket and go?

:dunno:

What car? If you feel like getting dirty, you can get used motors from U Wrench It for $99. You have to pull it.
2006 Chrysler Pacifica

They wont have anything even remotely that new at U Wrench It or Pick n Pull.

Firestone diagnostics, um....

Wobble in front end is a $500 front end job. Prolly needs s steering rack as well for only $1300 more. Jeez mister, Id be afraid to drive it like that......

I found a bad belt in the tire, new tire from Wally World, end of wobble.

On another occasion I asked that they change the alternator belt, $5 V-belt is a $75 serpentine belt...

Umm, perhaps a second opinion?

:dunno:

Agreed. Get an actual mechanic to look at it. I would take it to someone you know, maybe even one of your mechanic bubbys on OR?

I do have to step in and say that there are a few good technicians at Firestone. I know one, and I know he's still good at diagnosing, he calls me occasionally for technical info, to be more accurate on something he's new to. Now, what the service writer does with the info the techs give them, I don't know, and I'm sure that there are more than an average number of questionable techs there, from some of the others that I've seen work there. Just like any other chain shop, some locations are good, and the majority are crap.

I do have to step in and say that there are a few good technicians at Firestone. I know one, and I know he's still good at diagnosing, he calls me occasionally for technical info, to be more accurate on something he's new to. Now, what the service writer does with the info the techs give them, I don't know, and I'm sure that there are more than an average number of questionable techs there, from some of the others that I've seen work there. Just like any other chain shop, some locations are good, and the majority are crap.

Wont argue that. I've seen good ones, I've seen bad ones.

Sad part is I end up at the crap shops when I'm in a bind and need it fixed fast.

Never hurts to ask for a second opinion.