New Jersey vs TSA

Casper

Never gave it much thought about the cumulative effects for frequent travelers. That can't be doing the body any favors...

For that matter, being at 37,000 feet for 2-4 hours times however many times you fly isn't doing you any favors from a radiation perspective either.

I'm not concerned about that so much as I'm concerned about the following things:

• There was never any meaningful scientific review regarding the machines before they were thrust on the public

• During the implementation of the scanners, we were consistently lied to; they won't save any images (they do, it was a part of the TSA requirements for building the scanners even), they blur out the naughty bits for the TSA worker (they don't)
  • The manufacturer of the scanners can be pretty directly linked to Chertoff, from where the orders for the scanners began, and the biggest bitch of all...
  • They wouldn't have caught the asshole Christmas bomber anyway!

If you're going to be completely knee-jerk reactionary about security, at least make sure that the thing you are knee-jerk implementing could have actually caught the asshole that beat you the first time.

I refuse to use them on these grounds alone, but even though I know I'm going to get hit with some rads when I'm airborne, I sure as hell don't need to double down when I'm on the ground for no reason at all.

Edited by Cheech

What I'm really curious to see if any airports have the balls to opt-out of the TSA. When the TSA was foisted on the airports in 2002, the law that was signed allows airports to get all bootstrappy and handle security on their own.

What I'm really curious to see if any airports have the balls to opt-out of the TSA. When the TSA was foisted on the airports in 2002, the law that was signed allows airports to get all bootstrappy and handle security on their own.

hmmm.... interesting....

Now that you mention it, it doesn't seem that private airports use TSA. Maybe I'm wrong though....

hmmm.... interesting....

Now that you mention it, it doesn't seem that private airports use TSA. Maybe I'm wrong though....

Private jets of any stripe aren't covered by the TSA, or any government passenger security for that matter. It's good to be the king.

better someone feel and look at my body parts at the airport rather than picking them up at the crash site.

did you read any of those articles? You could shove a chemical bomb up your ass and they wouldn't be able to see it.

....right? or did i mis-read, misunderstand?

Edited by OsuMj

better someone feel and look at my body parts at the airport rather than picking them up at the crash site.

That's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've heard so far, and thanks to you I've now heard it for the third time today.

Bomb up your ass, coke in balloons you've swallowed, etc won't show up. These machines wouldn't have even caught the would-be shoe bomber. They're a joke. Israel won't even use these machines, and they have a MUCH higher risk of terrorism.

Private jets of any stripe aren't covered by the TSA, or any government passenger security for that matter. It's good to be the king.

Private aircraft are still subject to the rules of the TSA and have their names ran against the TSA nofly lists every time they fly.

you guys arent seeing the big picture...its like when computers were brand new...they were big machines - just like this...now you can get pocket sized computers....so in 10-20 years, once they figure out this technology better, X-RAY GLASSES...this is just the prototype...give it time

don't know much about the body scan machines or how affective they are, apparently not very according to you guys.

There has been some good info put out on this situation on OR just within this past week. Go to the links, watch a few videos, learn before you post.

You don't see these scanners in our subway/train systems, sports stadiums, or any other place packed full of people, but yet terrorism has struck everywhere around the world countless times before 9/11 ever happened. Why do people think these types of scanners or pat-downs will really help? Suicide bombers can easily have a bomb surgically planted inside themselves or stuck up their asses. If terrorist really want to blow some shit up, they will. These scanners are a joke to them I'm sure. Also, what about the children? Should we be putting them through the scanner to have some potential pedophile oogling their bodies? Do we send them over to the pat down area to have them pat down/groped like all of the adults? This whole thing is very unpleasent to most adults. So how do you think a child is gonna take to it? Phycological damage? Dunno, but why risk it?

Private aircraft are still subject to the rules of the TSA and have their names ran against the TSA nofly lists every time they fly.

Untrue. Good friend has his own plane, and loves that he doesn't have to put up with this. No matter where he flies inside the USA and its protectorates, of course. Land, get in the car, and leave. Why would they try to stop you from blowing up your own plane? You can just fly it into the local IRS office, if you want to cause harm.

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

Untrue. Good friend has his own plane, and loves that he doesn't have to put up with this. No matter where he flies inside the USA and its protectorates, of course. Land, get in the car, and leave. Why would they try to stop you from blowing up your own plane? You can just fly it into the local IRS office, if you want to cause harm.

Was just about to say that. I've flown on my company's corporate jet a handful of times, a few of those times I surprised the pilot that I was coming along. Private jets aren't beholden to the TSA at all, period.

As Security for a large private aviation company, I do know that all of our passengers are are checked against the TSA lists.

For those last min add on passengers the pilot will check the persons ID, and then call into our office and we run the persons name against the list.

You are correct though that the small prop planes are not required to follow the same guidelines.

I'll have to ask our pilot the next time I see him, the company has a Cessna Citation and I don't think we've ever checked against the no-fly list.

There are different rules for company aircraft, they may fly under the part 91 rules and may not be required to do the checks.

Just for the record the TSA sucks!! There are so many different rules for everything it is hard to keep everything straight.