Ok tech peeps, Router question

mrbret

4 'major' brands: Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, Netgear

Does anything you have that uses wifi have the ability to use the 'N' standard? If not, I wouldn't bother, although most routers made in the past 2 or 3 years are 'N capable', so you may not have a choice.

I had a D-Link router and pcmcia laptop adaptor 7 years ago, the router puked after a year.

I've had a Linksys WRT54G since, no problems. 95 out of 100 people are gonna tell you that they haven't had any problems with Linksys gear - I'm one of them. Linksys is (or was, maybe they've been spun off) a division of Cisco.

IMHO, you shouldn't need to spend more than $50 for a wifi router.

For MOST people, any "g" router will do just fine. Only the fastest Internet connections will max out a "g" network. When I had the top residential speed that Time Warner offers, the wireless was too slow for that, but most traffic will be slower than the max anyway, other than downloading stuff.

I have experience with D-link, and Linksys products, myself, and they've both been solid. I HAVE had to reset my D-link to defaults once, but in the 4+ years that I've had it, that's not bad.

I've been rocking a NetGear WGR614v6 router for ... dunno, dawn of time I guess. A personal preference since it had a DMZ built in (One open connection with no protection, 3 protected). But the Linksys is fine, Cisco is a good influence on that.

Note: Quite a few of the home routers will burn up much faster if the WiFi is on all the time. Too much heat, I guess. I leave mine off unless I want to use it for something.

I've been rocking a NetGear WGR614v6 router for ... dunno, dawn of time I guess. A personal preference since it had a DMZ built in (One open connection with no protection). But the Linksys is fine, Cisco is a good influence on that.

Note: Quite a few of the home routers will burn up much faster if the WiFi is on all the time. Too much heat, I guess. I leave mine off unless I want to use it for something.

I like the option to have a DMZ as well!

I've never turned off the wireless on my router, since the biggest part of the traffic that goes through it is from wireless clients!

Yes, good find Fusion: http://gizmodo.com/5675479/the-ultimate-router-battle

I've had the pleasure of setting up many small business/home office networks and I agree that the Linksys is fine, actually I have the WRT-160N and it works ok. I have had some problems with interference and bugs in more complicated environments with the Linksys/Cisco WRT-160N, and I usually solve this problem by recommending a D-Link.

After having set up a D-Link DIR-825 I can say that this D-Link router is significantly better than what I'm used to. The range of the D-Link was amazing compared to what I'm used to with cheaper routers. Here's a review for the DIR-825.

Also the D-Link has a guest internet feature. The guest feature is great for allowing people to use the wireless internet without giving them access to your wireless printers. According to the reviews the DIR-655 is cheaper with many of the same features.

So, I would get the DIR-655, if I was in the market for a new router. In addition I'd order a different set of antennas, like these http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679 just for fun. I can say from experience that these antennas gives you a little extra range.

Edited by alienpi

It's mostly just so we can use our iPhones & her Nook via WiFi, not much else

Just about anything will be fine. I use an inexpensive Tenda router, does just fine.

Hit up MicroCenter and see a salesman, they'll hook you up with somethin and answer all your questions.

This is the one I use, got it at microcenter...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0316229

4 'major' brands: Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, Netgear

Does anything you have that uses wifi have the ability to use the 'N' standard? If not, I wouldn't bother, although most routers made in the past 2 or 3 years are 'N capable', so you may not have a choice.

I had a D-Link router and pcmcia laptop adaptor 7 years ago, the router puked after a year.

I've had a Linksys WRT54G since, no problems. 95 out of 100 people are gonna tell you that they haven't had any problems with Linksys gear - I'm one of them. Linksys is (or was, maybe they've been spun off) a division of Cisco.

IMHO, you shouldn't need to spend more than $50 for a wifi router.

This. Linksys was purchased by Cisco a few years back, hence the Cisco branding on everything.

I've used many of the brands mentioned above.

For the most part the differences between them are minor.

For WiFi I also recommend getting something "N" capable as that also usually gets you a couple of other nice to have features. Even if you don't use the extra features and it only adds a couple of bucks to the price.

Here's a link to some of the better prices out there, enjoy.

http://www.pricewatch.com/networking/