Open Carry and CCW Question

Jst2fst

Did a thread search did not find a thread about this unless I looked right over it. Sorry of its a re-post.:bow:

Ok, so I was talking to a co-worker of mine who had a ccw a few years back. I asked him if you were able to still open carry wit a ccw. He said no per instructions from his instructor as the ccw negates the open carry and you have to carry it concealed. I'm thinking that you were allowed to as under Ohio open carry laws. This is a question I've been wondering for the past few weeks as I'm trying to get my ccw. I was looking at the ORC codes for ccw and open carry and did not see anything that mentions that you can't open carry with a ccw. Thanks for the help

Open Carry ORC

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/gp9.68

Concealed Carry ORC

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12

Are you inferring that JRMMiii is implying you don't do your research?...

Having your CHL does not preclude you from open carry in the state of Ohio.

</thread>

That's what I thought, I was looking up the two with the orc what not. I was just trying to get some clarification on the issue. I'm still new to gun ownership so my resources and knowledge are limited that's all. I mean I figured that it was somewhat false information meant to deter you from open carry if you have a ccw.

Yes, like everyone had said. You CAN open carry a firearm even if you have a CHL. Many people only get their CHL's because you must have a CHL to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle, or on a bike. A lot of the instructors are given bad information. I don't know for sure if this is on purpose or by accident but your type of story happens all the time.

Those instructors are pushed by the state reps to put the fear of all that is holy in you... Part of the instructor process.

Negative. Those instructors just don't understand the law or have a misguided interpretation.

Or I've managed to slip through the cracks and not have any state reps call me up to put the fear into me. I find that highly unlikely.

Edited by walther_gsp

I open carry as much if not more than I concealed. Easier draw, deterrent, my right to do so....

I'm all for it it also but dont you think you become the bad guy's first target if the S_H_T_F ? Hence my question for why open carry? I know we "do it because we can" but just because "you can" doesn't mean its the smartest way to do it....Not trying to start a debate because like I said, I'm all in...Just my point of view on the subject.