Speeding motorcycle flips car into ditch - California

ReconRat

That never ends well. Something about seeing boots or shoes on the road really puts it in perspective for me.

Yeah, that was from the two 60 year old guys they had to pry out of the car. The rider got tossed somewhere and also lived.

edit: ummm, the shoes might be from the rider. I can see bike leathers at the bottom of the photo.

Edited by ReconRat

I thought tom said it was impossible for a bike to hurt a car :rolleyes:

Not this Tom. This Tom knows better.

Another news source says it was a 60 year old man and woman in a Toyota.

Minor injuries to car passengers, and minor to moderate to the rider.

edit: And the bike didn't "clip" the car. It obviously transferred all it's energy, and bounced off.

I really don't trust news reporting anymore. Lots of errors in reporting facts.

Motorcyclist Leads CHP On High-Speed Chase Near Petaluma

Edited by ReconRat

:lol: my bad tom....it wasnt you, i was thinking of magley

Haven't any of these idiots heard of momentum?

a sport bike doing 150 exerts less force than a ford focus doing 35 mph...

and less than an explorer SUV doing 20

Even if the sport bike winds up to 200 mph, he's creating a force less than 1/4 that of a hummer h2 doing 65 mph.

I made a simple table, units would be ton miles per hour, but that's not important, what's important is the force ratios from sport bikes at speed vs other vehicles.

momentumtable.jpg

just as a reference I used, my sport bike, a ford focus, explorer, f150, f350, h2, peterbilt, and peterbilt with load.

rough numbers linear momentum.

Again, MOMENTUM is more important than speed. If we wreck, we're only really putting ourselves in danger. The effect of our limited mass means that we won't even compare in collateral damage until the high triple digits.

I've already posted my momentum table, and on a 500 lb sport bike, you're not doing any more damage to anyone at triple digits than a ford focus at 35, and you get into bigger vehicles, f150, explorer, hummer, forget about it. The only person you're "endangering" is yourself.

Edited by Steve Butters

:lol: my bad tom....it wasnt you, i was thinking of magley

Yeah, I was looking too. That and an older thread that might be gone.

I think the car had to turn it's front wheels to actually roll over.

But there is mechanical force and force applied. If we slap somebody, they have little harm. If we slap somebody with a kitchen knife, it's a total different outcome. The pressure at the point of impact is quite different.

I guess I'm saying a bike is pointy on the front end. The Feds will learn of this, and require 6 foot wide safety bumpers on bikes...

Impact energy is proportional to the weight of the projectile & the square of the velocity. That means that an 800 Lb Harley with an 180 Lb rider smashing into something at 100 mph does the same damage (to whatever is run into) as a 410 Lb proper bike with an 180 Lb rider smashing into something going 140 mph. If the guy on the proper bike happens to be going say 180 mph the impact energy is 65% greater. Don't try this at home.