Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - April 16 2011

jbot

I can't wait to see the video of that last session!

It's like 23 minutes long and in HD...the file is huge. It's gonna be a bit of a wait trying to get it manageable. I wish I was out there again already, damn money and me having a limited amount! Ok...Deal's Gap trip anyone!? :D

It's like 23 minutes long and in HD...the file is huge. It's gonna be a bit of a wait trying to get it manageable. I wish I was out there again already, damn money and me having a limited amount! Ok...Deal's Gap trip anyone!? :D

it wont be the same.... i did the gap.. then went to a track day and did the gap again... never the same..:( but its ok.. track is safer:)

ok.. i'll go with it... so then when you tuck the front end from loss of traction heading around one of the blind left handers into the resort.. you and your bike go off the road and where? oh yes gaurdrail, trees... some places 100+foot drop to your death..

Oh don't be such a downer...it's not that big of a fall anymore. There's a large pile of bikes, cars, semi's down there now that the fall is maybe 100 ft now. If you're lucky you could land in a semi trailer that had a shipment of Peeps for Easter!

Oh don't be such a downer...it's not that big of a fall anymore. There's a large pile of bikes, cars, semi's down there now that the fall is maybe 100 ft now. If you're lucky you could land in a semi trailer that had a shipment of Peeps for Easter!

all i can picture is a bike on its side and a rider next to it in a big pile of yellow and pink peeps...

all im saying is... fast on the "street" is no were near as sweet as fast on the track.. and no were near as fast :p i still ride street.. and i do get a "little" aggressive in the twisties so its not like im outta touch here;)

Yeah I'm fine with that...I'm not saying be a crazy on the streets either. I'm always down for a track day...as long as I can afford it. The appeal to Deal's Gap isn't how fast you can go...it's about how many damn turns you can take back to back before you have to take a break because your legs are tingling.

Hell you can go the speed limit through some sections and almost drag knee. I love that road. It's fun going slow, going fast, whatever. The point is...to hang out with friends...enjoy the road for a day or two and have fun. Not race.

I love them both equally for their own reasons. Sorry I went off topic, but back to the trackday at Nelson's...

I had a great time at Nelson's...A lot of the Instructors were great and some really interesting things to say. I recommend it to anyone that is still thinking about it. I do know that because we were cut short for weather we missed out on a lot. pretty much a half day. Still had a blast. So I imagine a whole day in the sun would be amazing!

It felt good being in the fastest group and seeing the excitement in the instructors faces that we were going to up the pace. They were like kids! I'm sure we were too! Oh and I do wanna mention that Nelson's is not "too bumpy" and it has a lot of grip with the exception of turn 3 and turn 13. (only felt the front and back move a lil bit in 3 and 13 was just bumpy and wet so didn't bother to test it for grip)

Anyway...overall great birthday weekend for me! Can't wait to get back in that gear and do it again....crossing the fingers that the gear will be dry by that time and the sun will be out!

I do know that because we were cut short for weather we missed out on a lot. pretty much a half day. Still had a blast. So I imagine a whole day in the sun would be amazing!

You could talk to Todd about getting credit toward another day, I did. The weather (rain) is not what closed the track, it was the plugged up irrigation pipe. We rode in the heaviest rain and sat when the weather cleared. :confused:

You could talk to Todd about getting credit toward another day, I did. The weather (rain) is not what closed the track, it was the plugged up irrigation pipe. We rode in the heaviest rain and sat when the weather cleared. :confused:

Ok thanks. Is Todd on here or do I contact him through the track contacts. (Motoseries or Nelsons Ledges?)

I don't think he is on here.

I have talked to Todd on the instruction issue. They are working on have the class 20 min max then split into your riding groups to talk to your instructor with any issues you or they may have. They are revamping the instructional classes themselves to make sure they can stick to this schedule.

is the Moto Series "curriculum" super top-secret? I'm curious how they break it down now.

I did their "track rider" class in '08 (my 5th trackday ever) and it was similar to STT's program, but more tailored to what the group knew. I got to use 2 gears on the 1 gear drill so I didnt' blow up the EX on the back straight :p

We've tried contacting Todd but havent gotten a response back yet about getting some credit towards May. Us dayton folks werent able to make it due to the heavy downpours. :(

Praying May works out...

He has been busy the last few days. Give him another day or so, he will get with you.

is the Moto Series "curriculum" super top-secret? I'm curious how they break it down now.

I did their "track rider" class in '08 (my 5th trackday ever) and it was similar to STT's program, but more tailored to what the group knew. I got to use 2 gears on the 1 gear drill so I didnt' blow up the EX on the back straight :p

I don't think it is top secret as anyone who has taken the class could tell anyone. That being said, it will change probably by the next round. Most track orgs teach the same stuff just a tad different.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but why would Todd give anyone a refund or credit unless the track itself is refunding money to Moto Series?

I am not privy to the specifics of their business relationship, but I am 100% sure Todd doesn't control the weather, and it would surprise me if Todd has any control over the condition of the track (or it's drainage).

While I understand people's frustration that they couldn't make it and didn't get to ride 7 sessions; unless Moto Series is somehow responsible for maintaining the drainage at the track, blaming them (or Todd specifically) seems rather misplaced. Weather is a risk everyone takes every trackday. If you want rain insurance, ride with an org that offers it. There are a handful that do, but they charge a lot more up-front for a membership compared to Moto Series' $0 membership fee.

• Upvote 1

And you're pissed off that Moto Series erred on the side of safety?

Do you honestly think there wouldn't have been someone dumb enough to hit that water at an unsafe speed and careen into the bridge?

Not pissed at all. I had a good time. It just sucked that the weather was actually nice and we couldn't run. Just wanted to go is all.

Im sure there was someone dumb enough. Probably a few.

hahahah - and I wasn't, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to insult anyone by disagreeing, I just file this trackday into, "this is why OR members got the discount to begin with - because there was a distinct chance of shitty weather, and shittier attendance."

standing water on the track is kind of a big deal. If it's going to sit some place, the straight isn't the worst place it could end up, but you can't be plowing through 2-4" of water at 100mph, or even 30 mph.

I've seen Mid Ohio shut down the track for a lot less when the track had water running across it at the end of the back straight.