Discount day at Nelson for Ohio Riders - May 14 2011

jbot

good question. I'm not sure what group I'll be riding in.

I'll figure it out soon enough.

If those you who are showing up don't know anyone at the track, or are coming alone, or want some place to hang out, just post up. between us, I'm sure we'll take up a decent chunk of the pit area. blue23023954539623459063 and I usually hang out along the pit wall/rail near the beginning of the front straight.

my post disappeared.

I definitely want to go, and I have that Saturday free, but I'm not going to spend $100 to ride in shitty weather.

How early do we need to register to get the discount? April weather is a gamble.

my post disappeared.

I definitely want to go, and I have that Saturday free, but I'm not going to spend $100 to ride in shitty weather.

How early do we need to register to get the discount? April weather is a gamble.

no doubt. i'm just hoping for the best. i remain optimistic, but who knows.

but since this is the may thread, i'm guessing weather will be pretty decent.

This came up in the other thread: there is no membership fee for motoseries.

if you want to race with them, and you already have a license with WERA or what have you, I believe they will accept it as well.

Update this list and post up what group you'll be in (Instructional/Novice or Intermediate/Open or Advanced).

ballers (ie, confirmed in)

jbot

blue03636

apch8r

mykill (Novice)

madcat

2wheeler

JCMathis (Intermediate)

grapesmuggler27 (Novice)

pending:

hutch - pretty much counted in

ducati guy - probably in, wants to go fast

standout - waiting on weather

Edited by APCh8r

I'm going to register in Novice and terrorize the instructors. I need to find something that's the functional equivalent of a water balloon, but doesn't contain an element that causes loss of traction. Suggestions welcome.

....but for realz, I'm torn between Intermediate and Advanced. It's been a long winter, or I'd be confident with registering in Advanced. I should probably sack up and just do it. Count me in for May 14th. That's the weekend after my finals end, so if I'm not out in April, I will DEFINITELY be out in May.

I'll register in the next couple weeks.

Edited by redkow97

I'm going to register in Novice and terrorize the instructors. I need to find something that's the functional equivalent of a water balloon, but doesn't contain an element that causes loss of traction. Suggestions welcome.

....but for realz, I'm torn between Intermediate and Advanced. It's been a long winter, or I'd be confident with registering in Advanced. I should probably sack up and just do it. Count me in for May 14th. That's the weekend after my finals end, so if I'm not out in April, I will DEFINITELY be out in May.

I'll register in the next couple weeks.

Man up and run advance, you aren't going to get any faster camping in intermediate trying to be the "fast guy in int"...you will only get faster riding around faster riders

Man up and run advance, you aren't going to get any faster camping in intermediate trying to be the "fast guy in int"...you will only get faster riding around faster riders

I'm not trying to be the fastest guy in intermediate, and I'm not (quite :D) cocky enough to make the claim that I would be, I just don't want to get in anyone's way in Advanced.

I really wish trackdays worked differently, and they just divided up the registered riders into 3 groups based on skill and lap times... Hand everyone a transponder at the start of the day, and by the third session, it would be very clear who wasn't registered in the proper group.

So someone at the front of "I" group one day might be mid-pack "A" the next if a bunch of fast guys went home. The grouping would be based solely on who else is at the track THAT DAY.

This would prevent "I" from selling out in 20 minutes and "A" being mostly empty too.

I'm not trying to be the fastest guy in intermediate, and I'm not (quite :D) cocky enough to make the claim that I would be, I just don't want to get in anyone's way in Advanced.

....some misc wahh wahh-ing lol....

you know you'll be fine in advanced. ride smooth and at your current pace. there are a couple guys in there running sub 10's that will lap us no matter what.

I would really like to do this, but I really concerned about what I hear about the quality of the track. Jbot's seen my setup and my riding prowess (read: lack thereof), and I'm nervous about heading out there and laying it down at the start of my season becuse I was no good at the squirrely track surface.

I need an honest assessment of the track quality, and how you guys think my novice ass would fare on it, before i use up a track day this year on a course I might kill my bike on.

I would really like to do this, but I really concerned about what I hear about the quality of the track. Jbot's seen my setup and my riding prowess (read: lack thereof), and I'm nervous about heading out there and laying it down at the start of my season becuse I was no good at the squirrely track surface.

I need an honest assessment of the track quality, and how you guys think my novice ass would fare on it, before i use up a track day this year on a course I might kill my bike on.

Track surface is probably LEAST important to newer/slower riders. You wont' be going fast enough for it to matter.

Nelson is a bit bumpy, but compared to the street, you won't think so. Compared to other tracks, it's bad, but not awful. I run my "rain" suspension setting at Nelson because of the bumps. No big deal.

The grip is far better than it looks. Especially early in the season when it's likely to be cool and damp, I'd feel safer on Nelson's surface than Mid-Ohio's. even in the dry, Mid-O feels "slicker" to me. I would not call Nelson's surface "squirrely"

YOU WILL BE FINE. Any issues you have your first time there won't be due to the track conditions.

Priorities for your first time there should include (in this order):

1) knowing the layout of the track. Nelson is pretty flat, so there aren't any blind turns as you crest a hill, but knowing what's coming up next will eliminate a lot of potential mistakes. there is only 1 hard braking zone at Nelson. Ask an instructor to set you a conservative braking marker there, and you can move your brake marker forward from there.

2) learning and staying on the race line. Not only is this the fastest way around the track, it's also the smoothest riding surface at Nelson. Stay on the line, and many of your track surface concerns disappear.

3) Have fun. Riding at 80% or even 50% of your limits is way more fun than being terrified of running off into the grass.

As Jbot mentioned, there will be Advanced guys out there turning laps in under 1:10 As a novice, you will literally start off in the 1:50 range, and HOPE to break 1:30 by the end of the day. Once you start breaking the 1:12/1:10 barrier, the track surface matters. For you, it won't be an issue.

Nelson is no worse than your favorite back road, and while that's not a glowing endorsement, the track staff at least checks that there is no loose gravel, dirt, leaves, or other debris on the track, and warns you in advance of anything to look out for. One time I was there, a car event had pulled some dirt onto the track at the apex of one of the turns. They coned it off to keep the bikes from getting into bad traction areas. Is that ideal? hell no - but it's something you wouldn't get on the street, and the staff looking out for our safety.

Edited by redkow97
changed some of my language to reflect the fact that it's not his first TD

Most novice don't hit 1:30 range (I don't think I have seen a novice group really get close to this), more like 1:50's by the end of the day maybe a little quicker.

Also on the surface you are going to get a ton of different answers as can be seen by other threads on here.

jarvis, I sent you a PM.

Also, there are at least a couple threads about Nelson and it's track surface and etc. It is discussed and beaten to dead horse status. baby seals, even.

Plus, i'd like to limit this thread to who's in and who's not. feel free to pm apch8r and me any specific questions.

look at jbot laying down the stay-on-topic-law with this thread. That's the brazen asian we know and love.

But yea, I've done a few tracks, and as long as this won't throw me for a loop from what I've learned so far, I'll look into the scheduling. If I can make any it's probably this May date more than the April, so I'll keep you posted on my status. Thanks for the advice, and thanks for the PM, jbot.

As an aside, are any of those people going from either Cinci or Dayton (in terms of figuring carpooling potential)?

• Upvote 1

Attention everyone that is interested and have not signed up yet:

Cut-off date for early registration discount for the May 14th event will be: APRIL 15TH

This should be an easy date to remember as you need to have your taxes turned in on this day also haha

Just realized this thread didn't have an update list.

Also, copy and paste this list to make any changes for yourself or for others you know about.

ballers (ie, confirmed in)

jbot

blue03636

apch8r

mykill (Novice)

madcat (novice?)

2wheeler (intermediate)

JCMathis (Intermediate)

grapesmuggler27 (Novice)

pending:

hutch - pretty much counted in

ducati guy - probably in, wants to go fast