Lets talk about boots

cskeller07

Ive heard that you just need a good boot that covers above your ankles.

Personally i wear steel toe work boots

Ive been recommended getting actual riding boots that are stiff and reinforced.

To protect your ankle from rolling and fron getting crushed, etc...

Thoughts, opinions?

What do you guys do?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I can get away with it I wear leather work boots. If I am doing a dedicated day ride I have a pair of Sidi B2 boots. Why wear a helmet, coat, riding pants and gloves and then skimp on footwear?

agree, the ankle shatters easily and is impossible to put back 100%.

I really have not seen a motorcycle boot that I think would help much with "crushing" or "twisting." I think they do help with resisting abrasion and not catching when sliding though.

I have Sidi Vertigo Corsa Airs, they seem to try to do alot for protection, but I guess I'm just not impressed relative to the motocross boots I've always been used to. Some of them seem damn near slippers to me.

Yeah you prolly should.

Buying used isn't a bad way to go either. If you think about it they have been worn but aren't worn out. Mostly they're up on some pegs most of the time and walked in very little.

Snag a deal when you can.

Sidi.

/thread

Ive heard they are the way to go. Pretty pricy though

How much would you pay to be able to walk?

Like the old Bell Helmet slogan said, "If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet". (I think it was Bell, might just have been something hanging on the wall at Reynold's Cycle Center on High Street...)

I have Sidi Vortice Airs. $300~ish at Iron Pony. They're comfortable enough to walk around in, but not all day. They flow a lot of air (i.e. your feet won't have the stank just because of the boots).

Wear something that at least covers your ankles; work boots, construction boots. Tennis shoes or flip flops are frowned upon...:nono:

Wear something that at least covers your ankles; work boots, construction boots. Tennis shoes or flip flops are frowned upon...:nono:

:werd:

I started riding in Vans but came to my own realization real quick that if I ever went down it would be very bad. I'm sure it wouldn't take much grinding on your ankle bone to cause some serious long-lasting agony.

I wear Thor 50-50 boots. I think they were made for ATV riding, but I love them. For the cold or wet, I have some waterproof Alpinestars. I was wearing the Alpinestars when I was hit by a car at 45mph, and they didn't rip or show more than a few a few scuff marks.

I have a pretty wide foot and vie had great fit with Sidis.

I also keep going back to the Thor 50/50 boots Flying Brick is referencing. Really has heavy duty ankle protection. One of the sturdiest boots I've considered.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/610749/Thor-50/50-Boots

If you have a wide foot, Sidi's suck :(

I have alpinestars smx 2 for street, love them

black.jpg

Nice slippers Aladdin. Do they have a good grip on your flying carpet? :D

Edited by jagr

I have a pretty wide foot and vie had great fit with Sidis

I've always has issues with shoes and boots of all kinds because of my damn large feet, I tried a couple different sidi's at iron pony and all were too narrow for me :(

Nice slippers Aladdin. Do they have a good grip on your flying carpet? :D

:lol: My flying carpet is purely a garage queen :p

they are amazingly comfortable and I got em brand new for 50% off so I was able to feel better about their goofy look. Plus my riding jeans hide em for the most part

And now for something completely different...

It's what I like for casual biking, and they lasted about 2 1/2 years of every day ride and work abuse. I'm buying the same thing again. I got them to leak once, but that was on a day I could have swam home. And yes, I was nuts for being on the freeway, at night, blinded by heavy rain.

Men's Converse® 8 inch Side-zip Duty Boots, Black

188535_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/188535_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

Edited by ReconRat

And now for something completely different...

It's what I like for casual biking, and they lasted about 2 1/2 years of every day ride and work abuse. I'm buying the same thing again. I got them to leak once, but that was on a day I could have swam home. And yes, I was nuts for being on the freeway, at night, blinded by heavy rain.

Men's Converse® 8 inch Side-zip Duty Boots, Black

188535_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/188535_ts.JPG?cell=300,300&cvt=jpeg

The standard for any maintenance troop also.

On another note, I used to wear my belvedere flight boots all the time riding before I got some Sidi vertigos I always wear on my extended/spirited rides.

Bad, I have those exact boots except my dog chewed up a latch pretty badly. sucks those things were comfortable too.

Im not gonna lie, I sometimes wear my chucks when I ride down to starbucks to study or to campus considering I only live 2 miles away...all street/residential area riding. Not the safest thing, but just a risk I take.