Take your son to a ccw?

idodishez

I have a 17 year old son who I want to be taught gun safety, to respect the associated dangers, etc. Don't want him having a ccw, even if he could have one right now. Just want him to learn to respect all that's involved for now. Is a ccw class the best avenue for that, or are there better options?

I'm still fairly new to guns, so I know I'm not the best teacher in this case.

CCW instructor has already given the green light on him sitting in the class even though he won't get a ccw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are some basic intro to shooting classes out there designed by the nra he could get into. But putting him into a learning enviroment where safety and respect for the firearm is number one priorities can never hurt. I say do it and if the instructor is cool and willing to help out ask him to do a little one on one with your son after the class is over to show him some fundamentals.

Like Kawikid said, try to get him into a beginners course. But do take him with you for the CHL class. The more knowledge and more times he learns about firearm safety, the better. If anything, this will allow him to get a feel for firearms by sitting off the side side an watching. He won't be put on the spot but when he takes his own class, he should be one step in front of the game.

Ccw would be a great class for him to sit in. They assume u don't know squat. Hunters safety course would be best. For both of you actually. They are cheap. Free!

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/hunting__trapping/Hunter_Trapper_Certification_tool/huntereducation/tabid/18566/Default.aspx

My pops made me take one 24 years ago

Good family oriented training.

Edited by Gump

Most CCW classes are nothing but beginners courses with the law and maybe some defensive concepts thrown in. Too many new/inexperience shooters to do otherwise, at least in my 6 years or so of teaching them. Take him to the class, it'll be fine. I've had several students bring older teens to the classes and had them participate fully without issue.

He alot older then my boys, I got the eddy eagle video from the nra to start mine on. Then I preach to them safety to the point my kids wont even point there nerf guns at each other with out safety glasses on. I have been taking my oldest shooting since he was 8 he is 10 now and has better range manners then most adults. The class is a good step. Look into the class Gump posted for hunter safety they teach alot about respecting firearms in the classes.

Edited by speedytriple