We need more Troopers to do this

psyco1

Cops sure as shit can pull you over in the left lane and cite you in ohio, but they never will. In NH, NJ, PA(used to not sure now), it is an actual law that anyone in the left lane not passing will be cited no ?s asked. In NH on the freeways they have signs stating this every few miles.

Personally I think it is total bullshit when someone rides in the left lane and just hangs there. My GF does it and I bitch non stop about it. When I am in my Del Sol I will ride their asses, flash my highs, and then flick them off, or at least give them the utter look of retard disbelief. In my 250 I just floor it and get around them and them I slam on my brakes.

That is my biggest pet peave on the highway period. If every cop would do what that guy did, the roadways would make way more sense.

I hate when people pass in the right lane even if there is an open left lane. I like to do 70 on the high way which is faster than a good majority of people on the roads I take so I usually ride in the middle lane but there are always people who will come up behind me in my lane and decide to pass me on the right which a lot of the time then fucks the people over who are trying to merge onto the high way, even though the left lane was open and it would have been the exact same difficulty to get into that lane.

This brings up a good point - the total lack of SA, courtesy or lane discipline seems to be a factor in many of the road rage incidents we see.

I'd think creating a common-sense based 'Keep Right Except to Pass' law and hammering on violators would actually help safety far more than ticketing for speeding. Combine it with cellphone/text use, putting on makeup, or other distractions, for a $500 a pop fine-fest...

Cops sure as shit can pull you over in the left lane and cite you in ohio.

this is news to me.

where is that in the ORC?

as long as youre doing the speed limit - you are allowed to drive in the left lane.

**edit...i quoted some ORC, but it is for left of center passing, not highway laws...so removed it

just looked through ORC and i cant find anything, so please show me where you found it and ill admit i was wrong

Edited by Steve Butters

not in ohio - unless otherwise posted, all lane are equal

minimum speed limit on freeway is 45 so youre free to drive 45mph in the left lane all day long if thats your thing...just ask swingr

ORC 4511.25 B)(1) Upon all roadways any vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding at less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, and far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable, except under any of the following circumstances:

So yes, they can pull you over for going too slowly.

• Upvote 1

this is news to me.

where is that in the ORC?

as long as youre doing the speed limit - you are allowed to drive in the left lane.

**edit...i quoted some ORC, but it is for left of center passing, not highway laws...so removed it

just looked through ORC and i cant find anything, so please show me where you found it and ill admit i was wrong

Didnt even get to this page yet and quoted it for you. Hope that helps.

So yes, they can pull you over for going too slowly.

that law has a gray area with "prevailing and lawful"....the lawful speed limit on the freeway is 45-65

if the prevailing speed is 15mph such as sitting in rush hour, that speed is unlawful but it is allowed because its the prevailing speed and the fastest you can go

if youre doing the speed limit in the fast lane, somebody passing you would not be able to do so safely. they dont get a free pass to go however fast they want. if youre doing the speed limit you are not required to move over for them.

if you are moving slower than the prevailing and lawful speed, you are required to scoot over and let the faster traffic pass.

so if youre doing 65 in the fast lane, you cant be pulled over for it because you are doing the speed limit and the law says that you are only required to move over if youre under that limit

there could be some wiggle between prevailing and lawful in regards to somebody lawfully driving 45mph in the fast lane while prevailing traffic is moving 65.

but just because you want to drive 90mph, doesnt mean people doing 65 are required to move over and let you past

(B)(1) Upon all roadways any vehicle or trackless trolley proceeding at less than the prevailing and lawful speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, and far enough to the right to allow passing by faster vehicles if such passing is safe and reasonable,
Edited by Steve Butters

that law has a gray area with "prevailing and lawful"....the lawful speed limit on the freeway is 45-65

if the prevailing speed is 15mph such as sitting in rush hour, that speed is unlawful but it is allowed because its the prevailing speed and the fastest you can go

if youre doing the speed limit in the fast lane, somebody passing you would not be able to do so safely. they dont get a free pass to go however fast they want. if youre doing the speed limit you are not required to move over for them.

if you are moving slower than the prevailing and lawful speed, you are required to scoot over and let the faster traffic pass.

so if youre doing 65 in the fast lane, you cant be pulled over for it because you are doing the speed limit and the law says that you are only required to move over if youre under that limit

there could be some wiggle between prevailing and lawful in regards to somebody lawfully driving 45mph in the fast lane while prevailing traffic is moving 65.

Most of the people on here, it seems, are complaining about the people in the left lane going slower than the speed limit. So if traffic is going 65 and you are in the left lane going 60 then I can pull you over for that. Because you are going slower than the speed limit as well as slower than the flow of traffic; therefore you are disrupting the flow of traffic and you can be pulled over.

Most of the people on here, it seems, are complaining about the people in the left lane going slower than the speed limit. So if traffic is going 65 and you are in the left lane going 60 then I can pull you over for that. Because you are going slower than the speed limit as well as slower than the flow of traffic; therefore you are disrupting the flow of traffic and you can be pulled over.

the discussion was about the fast lane being "PASSING ONLY" regardless of speed.

people were saying if youre driving in the fast lane you can be ticketed, with no mention of speed. that is not correct.

its not a "passing lane"....you are legally allowed to drive there if youre doing the speed limit

i would gladly let you write me a ticket for doing 65mph in the fast lane on 270. we could take it to court and let the judge make a final decision, but im willing to bet if someone gets a ticket for doing 65 mph in a 65mph zone, it is going to get tossed.

the discussion was about the fast lane being "PASSING ONLY" regardless of speed.

people were saying if youre driving in the fast lane you can be ticketed, with no mention of speed. that is not correct.

its not a "passing lane"....you are legally allowed to drive there if youre doing the speed limit

i would gladly let you write me a ticket for doing 65mph in the fast lane on 270. we could take it to court and let the judge make a final decision, but im willing to bet if someone gets a ticket for doing 65 mph in a 65mph zone, it is going to get tossed.

You are correct, there is no such thing in OH as a passing lane. Maybe I need to re-read and see what people are actually complaining about because I was under the impression that people are mad when people go slow in the left lane. And yes, a judge would likely thrown dismiss a 65 in a 65 ticket unless there were environmental factors (ie: rain or snow) that were a part of the reasoning. However, that is a different story.

i guess we're just on separate pages

Yep.. right after they make driving in the left lane illegal. ;)
Cops sure as shit can pull you over in the left lane and cite you in ohio

Personally I think it is total bullshit when someone rides in the left lane and just hangs there.

When I am in my Del Sol I will ride their asses' date=' flash my highs, and then flick them off, or at least give them the utter look of retard disbelief. In my 250 I just floor it and get around them and them I slam on my brakes.

[/quote']

You are correct, there is no such thing in OH as a passing lane. Maybe I need to re-read and see what people are actually complaining about because I was under the impression that people are mad when people go slow in the left lane. And yes, a judge would likely thrown dismiss a 65 in a 65 ticket unless there were environmental factors (ie: rain or snow) that were a part of the reasoning. However, that is a different story.

to a lot of people (including myself), going 65 is going slow

to a lot of people (including myself), going 65 is going slow

That is going slow, but not in the eyes of the law. I always say "at least do the speed limit" because then you are not illegally disrupting the flow of traffic.