IP lost a lot of my respect today

buildit

It is what it is at Pony.

They don't have the best prices in town because they don't NEED to. They still have plenty of business (even if they charge above MSRP on shit :mad:).

Do you honestly have examples of this? Seriously, why do you say such things?

I bought a sprocket from the parts counter, had to have it that day.

I saw the MSRP in the book they use (TR or something), price rang up higher.

I asked about it, but the parts slinger didn't really have an excuse, or apology for that matter.

I bought a sprocket from the parts counter, had to have it that day.

I saw the MSRP in the book they use (TR or something), price rang up higher.

I asked about it, but the parts slinger didn't really have an excuse, or apology for that matter.

Was it the exact same sprocket? Did you look at the source code on the tag? Hint is that if it had a TR after source code, it was a TR product that was from them. If it had another source code, it came from somewhere else.

Also, depending on things, prices get changed rather quickly in this industry. Running changes from what is published in books and on the net. I'm not making excuses, but the difference certainly wasn't 160% like the oil example.

I would say that you need a part number or at least what the brand and style it was for me to check. But, realize one thing. These guys that say they shop at smaller shops and such are usually getting deals because they know someone there. Understand that also, IP has about everything you would need.

If you want to save 10-15% on something and wait a few days to get it - fact is that most shops have to order the part you need and IF the distributor is 1 day out (Most are, but many items are from 2-4 days away), you still have to wait a full day. You go in on a Tuesday and by mid day Wednesday, you are lucky to have your part.

At that stage, you've driven to and from twice and spent the time waiting. If it were me, I'd spend the money, support a board sponsor and have my part and riding the day you are waiting... That's worth an extra 10-20% even for me. But, truth be told, unless you know somebody, you aren't usually going to get a deal better than 10% off on a special order part like most cases will be at most shops.

Try going to any local Columbus shop and order these items:

-Renthal CR High Twin Wall.

-Pro Taper 51 tooth rear sprocket for a KTM 350SXF

-Shoei X12 Kagayama 3

-Icon Accelerant GSXR Jacket

-Fox V3 Monster Carbon

-AStar GP Tech Gloves

All these items are typically non existent in any shop you go into. BUT, they are all in IP and they are all at retail from what I have seen via the websites. I can add more and get into even smaller, more exact and everyday used items that other shops don't even bother to carry.

Try getting something as simple as numbers for your bike at a local shop. Hell, most don't carry anything other than the cheapest clutch and brake levers available and not the opens you really want.

Sure, you can settle for less valuable items to get on the road and eventually buy what you really want vs settling. But, IP does carry what people want and what people need. I don't buy the fact that they gouge on purpose. I will say that there are MANY different vendors for different brands and that can easily lead to differences in prices. At a shop like Pony, it isn't uncommon to see two different prices on the same exact product. That's due to vendors or price changes and even though they are really good at making sure they are the same across the board, they sometimes have items priced differently...

Point is simple. Buy what you want. Buy what you need and support whomever it is you feel is the best for YOU. But, understand that IP is no different than your little shop down the street. They have invested a SHIT pile of money in making their store what it is today. Fact is, most people I talk to are amazed when they give IP a chance. Again, saving up to 20% on a tire that cost you $200 is only $40. But, to wait 2 days, pay shipping possibly and then to pay to have it installed even if it is only $10, you saved $10-$30 on something you wasted at least a day to wait for and have installed when you could have been riding much sooner and not been sitting idle for so long...

Sorry for the rant, but these topics drive me nuts when a lot of people have no idea what goes on behind the scene...

love it or hate it, iron pony is a great resource (for seeing parts up close and personal) for any biker. riders all over the world are insanely jealous that we have such a thing in our backyard with few exceptions.

Was it the exact same sprocket? Did you look at the source code on the tag? Hint is that if it had a TR after source code, it was a TR product that was from them. If it had another source code, it came from somewhere else.

MSRP is the price suggested by the manufacturer, not by TR. MSRP should only be different year to year, not distributor to distributor.

Like I said, "It is what it is." I wasn't happy about it, and no, it wasn't 160% so I just went with it.

It's just a hard pill to swallow when just about every website has things BELOW MSRP. Usually you can expect to pay full retail at IP and other brick and mortar stores, but MORE? That's messed up.

It is what it is at Pony.

They don't have the best prices in town because they don't NEED to. They still have plenty of business (even if they charge above MSRP on shit :mad:).

Ya know, this is true. Good point. Although, I don't remember seeing anything ABOVE MSRP, but most stuff AT MSRP.

As I said, I will still go there for some things, but other things I will price shop them first. Tires, I will most likely go to them, for example, due to shipping costs.

Back to the IP pisser.

If we buy moar stuff from IP maybe they can upgrade the pisser exhaust fan. Those pirates shit that thing up like an Arizona outhouse!

actually thats just yota, he left his used shorts behind the tank..;)

MSRP is the price suggested by the manufacturer, not by TR. MSRP should only be different year to year, not distributor to distributor.

Like I said, "It is what it is." I wasn't happy about it, and no, it wasn't 160% so I just went with it.

It's just a hard pill to swallow when just about every website has things BELOW MSRP. Usually you can expect to pay full retail at IP and other brick and mortar stores, but MORE? That's messed up.

Well, it is that way. The price they pay from TR may be different than it is from PU. They get different deals at times from one distr. vs another, etc.

Again, not to jab here, but if you don't truly know, you really shouldn't make assumptions...

Plus, the price you see online isn't always better. They have MANY items that are competitive. Understand ONE VERY BIG POINT - most online dealers do NOT warehouse product like IP does. When they say they are the #1 accessory shop in the US, they mean it. That's based on inventory at any given time. Some are close, but not many...

Thus, again - if you are having to wait 1-5 days for something to save 10-20%, that's cool. I know a lot of people that time is a valuable thing and paying retail or slightly higher than online is worth the amount vs having to wait and pay even shipping, etc...

Again, not sure what the deal is, but you should be able to tell us exactly the product you bought, when you did and how much you paid. You also then need to tell me the retail listed in the TR catalog...

Do that and we can compare apples to apples...