Riding to the Track

imprez55

I want to do a track day this year and am looking heavily at the May 14th discounted Nelson's day. I might be able to convince the people at U-haul to let me borrow a trailer for a day, however since Nelson's is close so it might be easier to just ride there. I have heard that its possible to do, but every track day list or prep guide lists many things that I would not be able to take riding (extra gas, a bunch of tools for suspension setting that I have not played with etc, extra clothes, stands, chairs and so on).

My question is what would you experienced track day goers recommend to do? I would love to be as prepared as possible, but I would also just love for it to be easy the first time out and just show up without it making it a bad experience. If I could just show up riding with a backpack full of things and some tape with the bike pre-wired up and still be fine, that would be ideal. How many people have actually just rode to a track day anyway? Let me hear your thoughts, good and bad.

if you're sure you're gonna do a bunch of track days, or are just inclined to do it, by all means, wire up the bike. it is not required for novice though.

i have heard and seen people ride up to the track, do the day, and ride back home. nelson isn't particularly far for you (i'm not sure what part of cleveland you live in, but it's not far in general), but like apc said, it would be a bitch if you had a mishap. you'll also be dog tired after a full day.

if you post up what area of cleveland you're in, i can ask around amongst the motoseries group and see if any out your way have a spot open in their trailer. they're a very friendly bunch and will go to great lengths to help out a fellow rider (this could be said about just about all track day orgs and riders in general, actually).

U can ride to the track but I would strongly advise against it. From my experiences though the same helpful people that would trailer u to the track would also trailer u home if u rode to the track and had a misshap. U can literally prep your bike for novice in 10 minutes or less if u do decide to ride. I plan on being there the 14th but I'm coming up from Columbus. If u decide to ride there I would definitely help u get your bike home if something were to happen.

Dont ride to a trackday. On top of what others have said, you NEED to bring a cooler with lots of water, Gatoraid, apples, bannanas ect. Do not go half assed, you'll want a chair, drinks, an ezup ect. You wont believe how tired and thirsty you will be after 1 20min session and you will prolly have 7 or 8 sessions. Do not ride to it

I'm also trying to make the 14th at Nelsons happen although I still need to get a bike, suit and gloves but if all goes as planned that will be taken care of this weekend and waiting on a weather report. I'm not sure what part of Cleveland you are but if I am able to make it, I'd be happy to let you take the other spot on my trailer

My first track day I rode out there, BUT, I was meeting friends. I could have had them take my wrecked bike home.

I wouldn't recommend it. I felt like a mooch since they had to provide a lot of things for me like extra gas, a chair, tools, etc. But as people have mentioned, track riders are extra nice bunch. As were myfriends. They just wanted me to get the addiction along with them so they were very obliging...and it worked.

Best way to do it is go with some other experienced people. Even total strangers will make the experience that much better so they can give you tips for on and off the track.

...unless of course they try to have prison-sex with you...then this advice is not so good.

...just-kidding. they're all nice so they'll at least give you a reach around.

...unless of course they try to have prison-sex with you...then this advice is not so good.

...just-kidding. they're all nice so they'll at least give you a reach around.

Jbot is really nice about this and he has soft asian hands. :D

By the general feel of the responses, I will not ride to the track. My bike is actually already all wired up, and if I have time then I might also change the coolant. It isn't necessary but if I have the opportunity then I see no reason to go half assed.

I appreciate how accommodating people are trying to be, its very refreshing. If anyone could trailer my bike at least I would be very thankful. I have my own ratchet straps and I can drive myself with all the things I would take, so just room in a trailer would be all that I would need. By the 14th, I will be in Middleburg Heights around the I-71 Pearl rd exit.

I've ridden to track days four out of six times. Take some tools and whatever you need for prep - usually just tape.

Take some snacks and as much water as you can pack into your tank bag and fill your gas tank up just before getting to the track.

Only soft boys trailer!

I'd be more worried about falling asleep on the way home than carrying enough stuff or being too sore.

You've gotta remember, between getting up early to be at the track by 7:00, and then riding all day, you're up at least 12 hours, and on your feet pretty much the whole time.

it can absolutely be done, but it will be a lot more fun with creature comforts like shade, a lawn chair, etc.

cold beer at the end of the day is also one of my favorite parts of a trackday. That's not so much an option if you've gotta ride home.

U can ride to the track but I would strongly advise against it. From my experiences though the same helpful people that would trailer u to the track would also trailer u home if u rode to the track and had a misshap. U can literally prep your bike for novice in 10 minutes or less if u do decide to ride. I plan on being there the 14th but I'm coming up from Columbus. If u decide to ride there I would definitely help u get your bike home if something were to happen.

Wanna carpool :p I may or may not be attending this event. It depends when registration closes and how the weather is. I need to get a suit and lockwire my bike and such.

On days that I haven't had a mechanical problem or a wreck I could have rode to the track and home without an issue. The issue is I never know when either one of those problems will show up. Just like wearing gear, you don't always use it but it's a very good thing to have when you need it and you can’t predict when you will.

My vote is don't ride to the track.

Bambam, you're about three times more manly than everyone in this thread. Please don't hold us to your very lofty standards.

I know I know Jinu, and I didn't mean to be insensitive. As you know, most of my best riding friends are soft boys. I still love ya.

Just like wearing gear, you don't always use it but it's a very good thing to have when you need it and you can’t predict when you will.

+1. Experience is something you get just after you needed it.

Wanna carpool :p I may or may not be attending this event. It depends when registration closes and how the weather is. I need to get a suit and lockwire my bike and such.

registration closes when the trackday starts. They usually close online registration on the wednesday or thursday before but you can sign up at the track.

registration closes when the trackday starts. They usually close online registration on the wednesday or thursday before but you can sign up at the track.

Thanks. Is there a person count , on who all is going ?