Buying a rebuilt title car...

justin0469

My current bike is a rebuilt title so I'm not completely against salvage or rebuilt titles, but just seeing if anyone else has any comments on experiences they've had. The car I'm looking at is an 09 Civic Hybrid.

OK now, that we're past the Civic and hybrid jokes, it was declared rebuilt after replacing the hood, front bumper, driver side fender and headlight. It went through a Honda 100 point inspection and passed just fine. Retail is around $22k with the options it has (leather, navi, etc) with 17k miles on it, they are asking $14,400.

The obvious con is that although it is new, the warranty is voided by the rebuilt title. What else?

make sure theres no uneven gaps between the bumper and headlights

a car that new, i wouldnt even worry about it to be honest....i would go for it

i owned a salvage title car and it was fine, and the truck i wanted to buy before i bought my current one was also a rebuilt title (it sold before i emailed the guy :(, so i bought my current one instead - clean title)...as was my vmax.....so im not against them at all...the way i see it, you get a car that functions just as well for half the price lol

haha, look underneath for major weld marks where they shouldn't be. Like cutting two cars in half and welding one together. Won't hold up over time. And it's a rebuilt, there will always be something that you will find later and deal with.

It's interesting that "replacing the hood, front bumper, driver side fender and headlight" will total out a $22k car, but assuming it's not a lemon, the only downside I've heard of is that the insurance value is lower for a rebuilt (if it gets wrecked again, they're not going to pay you as much for it).

That makes sense. I thought the same thing about it being salvaged for what sounds like a fender bender. Not really sure if I could find out if that's the truth or not via CarFax but they seem like cool people and it passed Honda inspection :dunno:

It's interesting that "replacing the hood, front bumper, driver side fender and headlight" will total out a $22k car, but assuming it's not a lemon, the only downside I've heard of is that the insurance value is lower for a rebuilt (if it gets wrecked again, they're not going to pay you as much for it).

Salvage titles may also result from stolen cars which are wrecked and recovered.

With the front bumper and hood replaced, any way to know if the airbags went off? I know you indicated it passed Honda 100 point inspection, but not sure what that means. Inspection does not seem to indicate the same thing Honda certified.

Although I might be tempted too for alot of car for not much money.

With the front bumper and hood replaced, any way to know if the airbags went off? I know you indicated it passed Honda 100 point inspection, but not sure what that means. Inspection does not seem to indicate the same thing Honda certified.

Although I might be tempted too for alot of car for not much money.

Good point on the airbags. I'll try to find that out. I believe it will give that information in a carfax report but I'd like to avoid the $35 if I can.

Honda would never certify a car with a rebuilt title but I just took it to mean that a dealership went over the car and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so that's a good thing.

also with it being a hybrid i would be kinda weary because those electrical systems are very high powered and complex so i would get that thing inspected by a 3rd party to make sure it is safe before signing anything.

Good point on the airbags. I'll try to find that out. I believe it will give that information in a carfax report but I'd like to avoid the $35 if I can.

Honda would never certify a car with a rebuilt title but I just took it to mean that a dealership went over the car and couldn't find anything wrong with it, so that's a good thing.

PM me the vin number and email. I think I still have one or two reports left from when I was looking at buying a vehicle. I am never going to use them so if I can remember my info I will get you a report for free.

I know nothing about the civics anymore but check for creases in the rear quarter panels, this will no doubt show whether it was high speed or fender bender

Exactly, Unibody cars may twist, or crease in weird areas when wrecked. Look this thing over top to bottom. I'm assuming your paying cash or getting a personnel loan? I dont think the banks would give a regular car loan on a salvage/salvage rebuilt.

PM me the vin number and email. I think I still have one or two reports left from when I was looking at buying a vehicle. I am never going to use them so if I can remember my info I will get you a report for free.

krystyn is awesome, i'll let you know when i get it from them

I know nothing about the civics anymore but check for creases in the rear quarter panels, this will no doubt show whether it was high speed or fender bender
Exactly, Unibody cars may twist, or crease in weird areas when wrecked. Look this thing over top to bottom. I'm assuming your paying cash or getting a personnel loan? I dont think the banks would give a regular car loan on a salvage/salvage rebuilt.

Good to know, I'll add it to the list to check.

that was me. you sent the request to the wrong tyler.... Tyler524 or whatever im assuming since it says you added him lol....but you said "fixed?" so i assumed you meant to add me so i went ahead and added you since you sent it to the wrong one lol

Edited by Steve Butters

My current bike is a rebuilt title so I'm not completely against salvage or rebuilt titles, but just seeing if anyone else has any comments on experiences they've had. The car I'm looking at is an 09 Civic Hybrid.

OK now, that we're past the Civic and hybrid jokes, it was declared rebuilt after replacing the hood, front bumper, driver side fender and headlight. It went through a Honda 100 point inspection and passed just fine. Retail is around $22k with the options it has (leather, navi, etc) with 17k miles on it, they are asking $14,400.

The obvious con is that although it is new, the warranty is voided by the rebuilt title. What else?

I have been out of the business for 10 years this month. But unless something has changed, the standard was: a car is totaled when the cost to repair exceeded 75% of the vehicles value. My guess is that there is more wrong than was repaired. A hood, fender, bumper, and head light will not exceed 75% of a 2 year old car with a $22,000 value. I would be VERY careful!

We paid the money for Carfax about 9 years ago (the 1year unlimited version) when we were looking for a mini van. I ran my existing vehicles, which were both wrecked previously and repaired through insurance, and nothing showed. It was my experience that the only thing a Carfax shows is an accident that effects the title, which the one in question clearly has had.