ideas for a new bike

scottie.harris

New or used, what do you want to do?

Sounds like you are in the sporting mode.

The nakeds: KTM SuperDuke, Triumph Speed/Street, Ducati Monster, Honda CBR1000R, Kawi Z1000, Ducati Streetfighter, Aprilia Tuono, Shiver are all good do it all options and many can be found used or as left overs. Quite a few left over Tuonos still around.

For the money, really hard to pass up the BMW1000RR if you are going sport bike. If you can wait, Ducati and Honda are coming out with new super bikes in 2012 and there might be sales. Honda blowing out 2008 CBRs for $6.8k was a deal I should never have passed up.

KTM SMR/T, Ducati Hypermotard, Aprilia Dosoduros are wicked fun Sumos for the street.

Powercruisers get you the Vmax, Triumph Thunderbird, Ducati Diavel.

Suzuki has quite a few nice options of you step into the 600 range. Hard to beat the Gixxer 750. IMO, the 750 might be the best deal in the marketplace next to the S1000RR.

I'd be buying used, bought my first bike off the showroom floor and regret it. Mainly because the value drop.

I've been looking into the gsxr 750 and 1000, but upon looking around more I stumbled upon the 848 that I haven't seen or heard about in years. However the price of a ducati has me thinking about it.

As far as the BMW RR id get a busa before a BMW, its just the power and insurance that keeps me from the busa.

...and its still a possibility im just trying to be smart about it.

+ rep for unintended (I'm assuming) lulz :D

If you change your mind on being smart about it, I have a CRF 450-based sumo that you could get into lotsa trouble with.

I'd be buying used, bought my first bike off the showroom floor and regret it. Mainly because the value drop.

I've been looking into the gsxr 750 and 1000, but upon looking around more I stumbled upon the 848 that I haven't seen or heard about in years. However the price of a ducati has me thinking about it.

As far as the BMW RR id get a busa before a BMW, its just the power and insurance that keeps me from the busa.

What was your first bike?

What was your first bike?

it was an 07 crf100, something small to learn on . I paid like 2600 after tax title and interest, then sold it last year for 1100.

Sumos are sweet, but id rather have a sport bike for the streets. However a crf 250 or 450 would rock for getting back into motocross.

I would say to go with a 848 if you like them so much. get full coverage and if you do wad it they will cover it so who cares. Paul is great to have work on your bike, fair prices and great work. Have you ever ridden a triumph triple? best street motor out there. you should check into a daytona 675 they rock.

Busa over the BMW? Power of the Busa holding you back???

Seriously...

I have a race prepped GSXR that would suit you kindly. Slap on a set of lights and a tail light and you're golden. Just a click under 200 hp at the ground. Should suit your needs...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, unless you are looking at the new EVO Duc, get a Japanese 600. Lower maintanence and faster. R6 or newest GSXR or the Kawi.

At the point you are at, you might as well simply pick your favorite color. You'll never reach the limits of any of the current crop 600s anyways. GSXR750 is probably the best overall bike period when thinking sportbike.

But, coming on to a forum and asking what pick to pick is like going on a forum to ask what chick to marry... Buy what you want. You seem to have a hard on for a Duc 848. Guess what? Buy one...

Busa over the BMW? Power of the Busa holding you back???

Seriously...

I have a race prepped GSXR that would suit you kindly. Slap on a set of lights and a tail light and you're golden. Just a click under 200 hp at the ground. Should suit your needs...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, unless you are looking at the new EVO Duc, get a Japanese 600. Lower maintanence and faster. R6 or newest GSXR or the Kawi.

At the point you are at, you might as well simply pick your favorite color. You'll never reach the limits of any of the current crop 600s anyways. GSXR750 is probably the best overall bike period when thinking sportbike.

But, coming on to a forum and asking what pick to pick is like going on a forum to ask what chick to marry... Buy what you want. You seem to have a hard on for a Duc 848. Guess what? Buy one...

from what I've been understanding is that the 848 is comparable to a gsxr750, but not positive. However it wouldn't be a track bike anyhow, that's what my cb500 will be. The only reason ive hesitated on the 848 over a jap bike is because of price and maintenance. From what IP said about it it doesn't seem to be much worse than a jap bike.

from what I've been understanding is that the 848 is comparable to a gsxr750, but not positive. However it wouldn't be a track bike anyhow, that's what my cb500 will be. The only reason ive hesitated on the 848 over a jap bike is because of price and maintenance. From what IP said about it it doesn't seem to be much worse than a jap bike.

Wellllll... A 750 will be a faster and better bike. 848s are comparable to a modern day 600 which again - is well beyond most people's abilities... They just won't admit it.

There's no way that a Duc is cheaper to maintain than a modern 600. The first valve job on a 600 is most likely about 3 valve jobs in on a Duc.

Replacement parts are probably similar anymore, but still, the Japanese are going to be needing repaired less often and therefore, less money to spend when you weigh it in the long haul.

Do what you want. Sounds like you are sold on an 848. Why bother here anymore? It's like asking what oil is best. Motul guys are going to say Motul. Rotella guys, Rotella. So, Duc guys are going to say the Duc. Jap guys vice versa.

All I can say is that we have less cost of operation than my buddy has in his Duc. So, take that for what it is worth...