without me going into detail i need advice please

cOoTeR

Ok a guy I know just bout a sweet cruiser. Tonight he let his dad ride it. 3/4 through a turn his dad panics hits the brakes and stands it up goes into the ditch attempts to hit the ditch straight and ends up dumping it at a slow speed in the grass his dads ok possible broken collar bone. The bike headlight shoved back and to the right, right half of handlebars bent slightly front turn signal hanging possibly damage to the risers (forks seem straight) possible paint scratches. My friend rode it home no issues, no report. What should he do fix it up and hope the costs aren't more than his $500 deductible? Or claim it on insurance? Can he with no report?

You could file a police report, it will back up your Ins claim. But, fair warning, the police may write the operator for "failure to control". If it's OSP, they will for sure. You may want to eat some crow, and pay out of pocket. You could also cause your Ins to go up. Keep your dad off your bike :-)

Ok a guy I know just bout a sweet cruiser. Tonight he let his dad ride it. 3/4 through a turn his dad panics hits the brakes and stands it up goes into the ditch attempts to hit the ditch straight and ends up dumping it at a slow speed in the grass his dads ok possible broken collar bone. The bike headlight shoved back and to the right, right half of handlebars bent slightly front turn signal hanging possibly damage to the risers (forks seem straight) possible paint scratches. My friend rode it home no issues, no report. What should he do fix it up and hope the costs aren't more than his $500 deductible? Or claim it on insurance? Can he with no report?

i just did it with no report was no problem at all. insurance co never said anything

He's pretty broke right now so I don't think I can do that to him. But I don't need a claim? Should I call my insurance agent on Monday or the 1800-imf-uckd number today?

I have filed insurance claims without police reports. No problems with that.

In an accident with another person (not family) I'd always get a police report to force them into stating their case at the scene rather than giving them time to come up with a fake story.

I was in an accident with another car that was my fault. I told the lady that I was not going to call the police myself becuase I'd get a ticket, but she was free to call the police if she wanted. Both cars had only cosmetic damage and liability was indisputable, so we just exchanged info. BUT after the fact I realized that without documentation of the level of damage and lack of injuries then the other driver could easily pad her claim. That was a nervous couple of weeks. In that case it worked out, we both were honest in the claim and her damages were paid quickly. I will always do a police report in the future, even if it was my fault, because that $150 ticket could be nothing compared to a bogus injury claim that I'd have no way to dispute.

Edited by Scruit

1. If I was your buddy I'd be pissed cuz you were dumb enough to ask on a public forum if he should commit insurance fraud by lying and saying he was riding.

2. Just tell them the truth it will get fixed.

3. Keep your "buddies" dad of other peoples bikes