Ticket questions

Busarider

Well My dumb butt got a ticket finally.So the cop got me going 116 in a 65,But he didnt clock me he paced me.He said he was coming off a ramp saw me fly by he didnt catch up with me for like a mile or so.I had no idea he was even there.So stupid I am.But anyway I have to go to court in newark.What do you think the consequences are going to be.And is there a way to get out of it bein that he just paced me.

Only could find $1.16? I thought Busas could go faster than that?:o

Yea stupid traffic:rolleyes::rolleyes:Mybe lucky for the traffic though.All I know is lesson learned.I went on a ride with you guys a while back and I thought why they only go 80 on the freeways? question answered.

What did he cite you for, reckless operation? You're lucky they didn't tow you. I'd lawyer up on this one. You could be looking at 4 points on your lic. Be prepared for high risk insurance, then your fucked! You insurance could jump to 4k a year. If you get a lawyer, he might be able to judge the officers judgment on estimating speed. Good luck! Get you ass to the track next time.

Speed alone does not constitute reckless opp. If he didn't write you for it, the most you should be looking at is a fine and some points on your license.

I don’t know how things work there, but in Franklin Co. if you go in and talk to the prosecutor, explain that you can't afford the 4 point hit, they will usually bump it down to a 2 point violation in exchange for a guilty plea. That being said, I explained the same thing to a friend in Fostoria and he was told that the only contact he could have with the prosecutor would be to plea innocent or guilty to the original charge.

If your going to speed, learn how to do it right. I'm not going to get on my soapbox like some of these other folks who I'm sure never speed or hit triple digits. Yeah, and a bear never shits in the woods either. Just know the areas where the cops are scarce and then open it up a little once in awhile. I am not concerned with hauling ass on a freeway but rather being faster in the curves so I never do more than 15 over the limit on the highways. Go ahead and pass me doing 120 in a straight line, which even Forrest Gump can learn how to do. My respect goes out to all of the riders who take their bikes where they belong, in the twisties.

Get a lawyer for this one and be prepared for some unpleasantness...

If it was me - which it wouldn't be, been there done that about 9 years ago - I would get a lawyer. Like you however, I wouldn't know who to call.

My old insurance company treated reckless op the same as DUI or drag racing - instant high-risk.

Speed alone does not constitute reckless opp. If he didn't write you for it, the most you should be looking at is a fine and some points on your license.

I don’t know how things work there, but in Franklin Co. if you go in and talk to the prosecutor, explain that you can't afford the 4 point hit, they will usually bump it down to a 2 point violation in exchange for a guilty plea. That being said, I explained the same thing to a friend in Fostoria and he was told that the only contact he could have with the prosecutor would be to plea innocent or guilty to the original charge.

My ticket was reckless op added to speeding (83 in 55) based on a "more than 20 over" rule the locality had. Prosecutor offered to drop the speeding and keep the reckless op without even being asked. I asked for the other way around and he said the locality was pressuring them to make the reckless op charges stick (in general, not just my case).

My last major spewing ticket was when I was 19 88 in a 55. Cop pulls me over in Indiana asked me if I was in a hurry. I said yep if I'm late to class (college) one more time I fail the course. He said okay and had me written up in less than 5 minutes and off I went. He was nice enough not to write me up for reckless op which he could have. I paid the fine and about $100 more a year for insurance for a year. Thatcwas my second 88 in a 55 in a year at that time. $380 fine end four costs the second time I learned my damn lesson. Speeding gets costly when you get caught.

My ticket was reckless op added to speeding (83 in 55) based on a "more than 20 over" rule the locality had. Prosecutor offered to drop the speeding and keep the reckless op without even being asked. I asked for the other way around and he said the locality was pressuring them to make the reckless op charges stick (in general, not just my case).

Were you weaving in and out of traffic or some other type of additional offense? If not and they wrote you for the reckless op based solely on the 20 mph over, I would think about getting an attourney and fighting it. In the state of Ohio, speed alone does not constitute reckless operation of a motor vehicle.

4511.20 Operation in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property. (A) No person shall operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any street or highway in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property. (B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

I don't see where it reads you can't get a reckless op ticket just for speed. 20 or 51 mph could be considered willful disregard for safety depending on how the officer interpretsthe law.

Edited by crb

Speed alone does not constitute reckless opp. If he didn't write you for it, the most you should be looking at is a fine and some points on your license. .

^This plus $9 a month on your insurance. Ask me how I know. :o

I don’t know how things work there, but in Franklin Co. if you go in and pay up, because all they want is your money, they will usually bump it down to a 2 point violation in exchange for a guilty plea. .

FTFY :p

4511.20 Operation in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property. (A) No person shall operate a vehicle, trackless trolley, or streetcar on any street or highway in willful or wanton disregard of the safety of persons or property. (B) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

I don't see where it reads you can't get a reckless op ticket just for speed. 20 or 51 mph could be considered willful disregard for safety depending on how the officer interpretsthe law.

Speeding in a straight line is just speeding. Speeding and changing lanes without signaling or weaving in and out of traffic or running a stop light/sign is reckless op.

I have wrote a reckless ticket to a speeder for 125mph in a 65 zone (paced). When we went to court I was informed that if there no other violations other than the speed, I could not write the reckless. The prosecutor then ammended the charge to a 4 point speed violation.