Best way to clean very dirty chain

JStump

so the chain on my new bike is pretty much black and it is hard to get all the crud off in some spots, what is the best way to get this thing back to looking new? i have heard take it off and soak it in old motor oil over night then it should come right off in the morning. right now i am just using kerosine on a rag and scraping it off but its hard to get to a lot of spots. a few links i have gotten shined up to look new but most of it is still dirty. any suggestions?

Well what about the soaking thing, how hard is it to take off a chain? Cuz I think it will be easier to clean it that way. How many miles is a chain usually good for? Cuz I might just replace it.

Kerosene and a nylon grunge brush. Either on the bike or off. Let it soak as best it can. It's an all day job.

Pull the chain on the back of the rear sprocket. If it moves so that you can see half a tooth (or more), get a new chain and/or sprocket. Try it in several places on the chain.

By now, since you're asking, it probably is not, and a new chain would be good.

edit: If it's just a clip master link, take it off and let it soak and clean it. Then decide whether to replace it. The only hard part will be getting back on the front sprocket. The front cover usually has to come off. If it's a rivet link, same thing only more difficult both removing and replacing. But not bad once you've seen how it's done. Grind the two old rivet heads of the master link (or any link) off before trying to push them out. Don't try pushing them out without grinding flush, it will most likely break the tool.

Edited by ReconRat

no, like i said before, i cleaned a few links to the point they look new so it is not a black chain, i also just did the pulling thing and it didnt move at all so i think the chain is still good.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x_21298825-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Google-_-VALUE3-_-VALUE4&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=21298825

^^This chain brush is awesome. I pop up my rear tire and let it idle in first. All I have to do is hold the brush in place and spray some brake cleaner or something in front of it. It turned from grody black to shiny new in less than a minute with no damage to the brush.

That is a good brush. Some bicycle shops sell it cheaper.

Do not clean a chain with the engine running to turn the tire and chain.

An easy way to lose fingers. Yes, people lose fingers that way.

yeah, it sat outside so it took a lot of cleaning and stuff to get it looking good and working right, had Check Engine lights, low fluids, missing relays, leaking forks and fairings in pieces, well i got all that fixed and the only thing left to do is the chain. i was thinking about getting a black chain to match the wheels and i wanted to black out the rear sets so what is a good chain to go with? i am looking to stay with the 108 link 525 chains because the sprocket is still good but if there is a good deal on the 520 chains with sprockets i would consider going that route.

I used slot of products before APCH8ER turned me on to PJ1 awesomeness.

The PJ1 cleaner MELTS grease and grime on contact. This with mentioned grunge brush should bring your chain back to life as much ad possible. I also recommend picking up their chain lube. They have a Black Laber and a Blue Label. One is for O ring, the other for X ring.

That is a good brush. Some bicycle shops sell it cheaper.

Do not clean a chain with the engine running to turn the tire and chain.

An easy way to lose fingers. Yes, people lose fingers that way.

+1 I know these from personal experience... My hand was stuck in there so tight it stalled the bike. If it wasn't for the rag around my hands I wouldn't have fingers.

yeah, it sat outside so it took a lot of cleaning and stuff to get it looking good and working right, had Check Engine lights, low fluids, missing relays, leaking forks and fairings in pieces, well i got all that fixed and the only thing left to do is the chain. i was thinking about getting a black chain to match the wheels and i wanted to black out the rear sets so what is a good chain to go with? i am looking to stay with the 108 link 525 chains because the sprocket is still good but if there is a good deal on the 520 chains with sprockets i would consider going that route.

I'm sooooo glad you jumped on that before I did

Why would someone clean the chain with the engine running? I would never ever do it! Do you change your lawn mower blades wiry the engine running?

Common sense isn't so common anymore!

My .02

WD-40 and a plastic bristle brush. If it's really bad and you can easily take it off, soak it in kerosene then scrub with WD-40. If it's rusted and/or any links are frozen it's time for a new chain. And no.....WD-40 WILL NOT damage the o-rings.....no matter what the internet know-it-alls tell you.

Re-lube with DuPont all purpose Teflon spray lube.

This stuff is the tits, it dries quick with a light waxy coating and will not fling off. It also penetrates the o-rings and keeps them lubed and conditioned. I used this stuff for the last few years on both my street bike and the 1098 track bike with excellent results. About once a month i wipe my chains down with WD and lube with this. Remember an x-ring/o-ring chain doesn't need "lubed" because it's sealed, all you need to do is keep the dirt off and keep the o-rings from drying out.

dupont.jpg