Ruger Mini 14 Questions

CoolWhip

Does anyone have one or opinions on one? My dad is looking for one for utility around the farm shooting coyotes, etc. He said he doesn't want to shoot competitively or anything he just wants a good .223 that doesn't need to be babied and will always work. Let me know what you guys think or if you have a better suggestion. What is a good price to pay for the mini? Anyone know of any good deals? Thanks, All!

I had the Ranch Rifle with integral scope mounts. It was horribly inaccurate. I tried several different scopes, various factory ammo, handloads with different bullets and powder, and glass bedded the action. Nothing worked. From talking with others, my experience was not uncommon.

However, this was many years ago and the newer rifles may be better.

I had two, neither was very accurate, even with efforts to improve. A bolt action or lever action will work much better. You don't need a really rapid second shot, most animals are very fast and gone if that first shot misses. If it's not windy, a 223 or 22-250 work well. But I still like 30cal in 308 or 30-06, in windy conditions.

Really accurate rifles are kinda hard to find. It's usually that old one that Grandpa has that he won't sell. I think for a low cost working rifle around the farm, an old SKS might do the job.

Edited by ReconRat

I have the target model mini 14. and it will shoot with ease out to 200 yards. I have never been to a range past that so I have no clue for accuracy past that. But I would say if he is looking, tell him to get the 580 series, they have a MUCH better barrel then the older ones. Anyone who says they have a mini that was unreliable needs to learn to take better care of his weapon?! I can run 200-300 rounds of dirty cheap ammo thru mine with out a hiccup. Tell him to check out http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/ for more info on the mini and not hate from the AR crowd. they run around $580 new for a new ranch rifle or get the tacticool one like casper for around 700..

Edited by speedytriple

Yeah, about those mini 14 barrels, if I remember right, the barrel rate of twist wasn't good on the old ones. the newer ones changed that.

edit: Or more precisely, the old barrel was for the old type of 223 ammo. When the ammo changed up, so did the barrels. Wouldn't have changed if it wasn't touchy about the ammo fired. All 223 rifles are. Some ammo will be more accurate than others, which is true for everything, but more so with a 223 rifle.

Edited by ReconRat

That and they are much thicker then the old ones are which mean less barrel whip and stringing when hot. If you have a older mini just add a strut to the barrel and it will help with the stringing. mine has a bull barrel from the factory with a harmonic adjuster on it. I like mine a lot but still want to get a evil ar-15 even if they are tempermental.

I have the target model mini 14. and it will shoot with ease out to 200 yards. I have never been to a range past that so I have no clue for accuracy past that. But I would say if he is looking, tell him to get the 580 series, they have a MUCH better barrel then the older ones. Anyone who says they have a mini that was unreliable needs to learn to take better care of his weapon?! I can run 200-300 rounds of dirty cheap ammo thru mine with out a hiccup. Tell him to check out http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-mini-30/ for more info on the mini and not hate from the AR crowd. they run around $580 new for a new ranch rifle or get the tacticool one like casper for around 700..

I have had a lot of experience with rifles and the mini I had was one of the most unreliable one I ever owned, and it wasn't because it was not cleaned properly. I have owned several surplus SKS rifles that were more accurate and reliable if that tells you anything. But like I said maybe I got a lemon and the newer ones are better?

I have owned several surplus SKS rifles that were more accurate and reliable if that tells you anything.

+1 I replaced my Mini-14 with an SKS. It was more accurate shooting standing off-hand with open sights than the Mini was shooting with a scope and a rest.

I just looked at the Ruger site and their current barrel profile is different than mine was.

I don't remember the model number but it was the stainless ranch with synthetic stock, pretty sharp looking. I bought it back around the time the AR ban was expired or getting ready to expire and owned it for a couple of years. If they are more accurate now I would consider giving them another try, but ammo is so expensive now I stick to shooting 22s for the most part.

Thanks for the info. He already has a couple .22s but he wants something that can shoot about 1-200 yards of .223. Reliability is the most important thing and accuracy at the distance stated. Is there a different gun that would be better?

Thanks for the info. He already has a couple .22s but he wants something that can shoot about 1-200 yards of .223. Reliability is the most important thing and accuracy at the distance stated. Is there a different gun that would be better?

One of these in .243 Win. Mine is accurate, reliable, and almost as fast as a semi-auto for controlled, aimed follow-up shots.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-7600/model-7600-synthetic.aspx

Or maybe one of these if you have to have a .223. No experience, but the capability of accepting an AR mag is interesting.

http://www.remington.com/products/archived/centerfire/pump-action/model-7615.aspx