McArthur DS ride

buildit

Coming soon and gauging interest for riders interested in Dual Sport ride located near McArthur, Ohio. 80 miles of everything from mud holes to lose a car in, rocky trails, dirt paths, gravel road and pavement inbetween. There is a lunch and gas stop half way through. Will announce dates when I get an idea of how many are interested and when those I've worked on this with are available.

Post up for notification of dates and more info. Please include bike you'll ride and skill level so I know if I need to have an advanced ride and beginners ride.

If I can get my carb sorted out on the dr I might be up to try this. I am a total newb on dirt sorry. Bike would be a 99 dr 350 se with dirt knobbies on it.

That would be one for beginner. Don't be sorry about being inexperienced, it just means you haven't meet the right people yet. ;)

Speedy, you're on the shortlist if we get enough for a beginners ride. As for the intermediate ride a date of September 4th has been set. Below is a link to the official forum for this and any other rides.

http://klrworld.com/forums/index.php/topic,20102.0.html

In the mean time here's a video from our planning stage showing the condition of some of the trails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_qj-ePu2oo

Yeah that looks like fun but a bit over my skills at the moment. LOL I need to get some off road gear also. I have plenty of street gear but what do you guys wear on there types of rides?

ATGATT Just like street riding it's about being prepared. For a novice I would recommend flip face helmet, mesh jacket, mesh off road gloves, jeans with knee pads and off road boots. A camel back is also a good idea for hydration as off road will make you sweat!:)

I wear gear like this when it's cooler out but have a mesh armor top for summer and a off road helmet.

meanpond.jpg

So my mesh jacket with armor in it my first gear ht over pants, and my alpinestar summer gloves and old alpine star sport tour boots will work. my street helmet would work but might be better with a dirt one and googles.

If you can take the heat an on road helmet is fine but most find the helmet with visor down is too hot. At least with a flip face helmet you can open up to get fresh air when your struggling down a trail at low speed. I'd also recommend actual off road boots. There are lots of times you will dab your feet down and a boot without good ankle support is bad. Not to mention the branches, rocks and other things that will hit your ankles and calves as you ride. The rest sounds good.

I was really looking forward to when you would set the date for the DS ride and now that you have, i will not be able to join you. I will be in PA for a CSBA rally that weekend. I have ridden Tar Hollow several times, that is some great riding down there. I spent many hours clearing and riding in the routes for the Hanging Rock 200 as well as the Nutcracker with BDS.

Have fun on the ride and if you plan on another one please post up.

:mad:I wish I could hit the way back button on this puter.

Aand go back to my youth, when I did these kind of excursions.

But after 2 new disks in my back and 6 knee surgeries, this ride is one I need to let go. :mad:

Everyone be safe and have fun, and please, ATGATT.

Greg

Sorry to hear that floyd, but I know that little dings and dents build up over time and can make fun stuff dangerous.

Since someone asked I'll address a question. "What sort of ride is this?" This is a group ride, there is no race and we wait for the last rider to catch up at every turn. The terrain varies greatly as a real dual sport ride should from 55mph pavement to 2mph mud holes with hills, creeks and trees trained to jump out. We all wear the gear, because I puke when I see blood and nobody wants me to unchuck mtn dew mixed with bannana and cereal all over them! :lol: The phrase "no child left behind" has a lot of meaning because if your bike goes down we don't just ride off and leave you to find a way home. We will all stop till everyone is good to go or a viable alternative has been found to get the help needed. So do everyone a favor and spend an hour doing TLC on your bike before the ride so that we can avoid hold ups. I know shit happens and scouting this route I've had 3 STD's! (Sudden Tire Deflations) But having the right tools, tubes and know how goes a long way if something happens. Most of all we try to have fun, shot video and photos if possible of the mayhem and enjoy just getting out on the bikes. :)

Now your trying to scare me. I think my bike is trail worthy. Is a set of extra tubes a good idea on this type of ride with a set of tire irons.

I carry spoons with me all the time but there'll be plenty of people with extra if needed. As for tubes, it wouldn't hurt to have a rear with you. Most people have 21 fronts and in a pinch they can be used in almost any front tire to at least get you out of the woods, so to speak.;)

I got irons just need to get a set of tubes. What else would you suggest for a nwb to invest in for trail rides. Thanks for the help.

A tool kit with the right sizes for the bike. Best way to find out what works is to try doing maintance on the bike in the garage with the tools off the bike. You should be able to remove the front and rear wheel, change the spark plug, remove any panels needed to access the bike and look for anything that requires a special tool. As for other stuff, zip ties, electrical tape, spare plug, tire tube patches, fuses, air pump, maybe some 16 guage wire (2-3ft), jbweld or other metal patching resin. It all depends on the room you have and weight you can handle.

One of the pluses of doing group rides is learning what can happen and how others resolve the issues. Plus if you happen not to have something often someone else will.

For now I have been using a back pack to carry stuff while riding the dr. I need to invest in a rack to hold a tail pack on. But would prefer to put money into getting it to run 100% first.

Get a front fender pack http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moose-Fender-Bag-Tool-Pack-Dirt-Bike-Dual-Sport-KLR-WR-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ140509896761#ht_2575wt_347 to hold your spare tube and spoons, a rear fender pack http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Wolfman-Dual-Sport-Enduro-Rear-Fender-Tool-Bag-M0103-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSIQ26itsQ3dIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ252BUAQ252BFICSQ26otnQ3d21Q26pmodQ3d140509896761Q26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3284Q2em263QQitemZ280470266904#ht_1716wt_939 to hold your tools. You do not want to carry that stuff on your back, the only thing on your back should be a camelbak which is the most important tool you can have.

Edited by JCMathis

• 3 weeks later...

Had the first TTH ride today and had a great time. We had a good group of riders and made excellent time. We lucked out and beat the rain getting back to the trucks.

Groupend.jpg

2johnsinmud.jpg

I look forward to getting the next ride set up.

Here's a little video from todays ride

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNbAyNKPC8w

Edited by buildit

The first ride was a big success, thanks to all who came. Now it's the Advanced ride! It will use much of the same route but will also include some very challenging sections. So if your judge yourself to be a better rider than me you'll be okay.

Date for the Advanced TTH is 9-18 at 10:30. Those confirming their intention to go will get a PM or e-mail of where to meet.

These people get the first spots, Advanced Short list:

MGorman

Jrockrat

JCMathis

Cway?

MTbiker

FHC

I hope to have an easy version within two weeks of the Advanced. As of now here is the short list for that ride with date TBD.

Beginners short list:

Speedy triple

Jettn Jim

BDmike