HVAC peeps. Got a question.

max power

Home A/C, out door unit (Heat pump:dunno:) was humming, but the fan was not turning. Fan motor was hot and the basement fan was running constantly. No cold air. Powered down the exterior unit to let it cool and shut off the furnace fan.

What should I check next? How do I trouble shoot the outside unit?

Its 80 degrees and rising in here.

If you need someone to come out, I can highly recommend Fire and Ice, 614.842.2100

I have known the owner (Scott Merritt) for about 18 years, he's a great guy, and an honest businessman.

*edit: If you can make it through tonight, the storms tomorrow are supposed to cool things down to mid-80's, and the mid-70's Monday-Friday.

Edited by jblosser

Sounds like you need a new fan motor. Here's a good check - take a house box fan and set it on top of the unit so it blows upward. Turn it on high and hit the AC. If you get cooling, then nothing else is wrong. I think in the least, you need a fan motor.

Sent a pm but this is what i Do for a livng and if anyone else needs help cheap let me know ask dubguy I repaired a furnace for him on the cheap!

This is the guy I was thinking of when I mentioned it on Facebook to post it up here. I remembered seeing that someone did HVAC. OR is an awesome community, and excellent resource for helping each other out!

Don't do the fan motor first. There pretty expensive compared to the capacitor. The capacitor can be tested for free at most a/c shops. I think mine was only $35 or so compared to a couple hundred for a fan motor. I would bet money it would fix it.

And also don't run the unit until u figure out what's going on. If it is the capacitor and u keep trying to run it that will burn the fan motor up.