I want 870 or 500.

MidgetTodd

They are both good guns. Personal preference, maybe cost would be the only reason to consider one or the other. I personally like the 870 style due to the safety not being tang mounted. I think the 870 is easier to take down than the 500 / 590, too.

A few options if money is a factor:

Mossberg offers a factory barrel refinishing service for a flat $35. You could buy a clapped out 500 (with a solid action) for cheap and have the barrel finished like new for very little.

NEF / H&R has a Chinese made clone of the 870, the "Pardner", which is new around $180. I bought a used one for next to nothing not too long ago expecting a total POS... but it is actually a very well built gun. I now like it better than my 870... with the 18" barrel and 5 shot tube it balances perfectly. Disassembly is the same and parts interchange with the 870.

Depends on the purpose and plans for the gun. To me it comes down to ergonomics.... They basically are identical but the biggest difference is the location of the safety. If you plan on putting a pistol grip I say go 870. With the safety selector located on the underside of the gun on the rear of the trigger guard it makes it easier to get to with the pistol grip than the mossbergs on the top.

Just my 2 cents and experience.

Im not wanting to sell but i picked up a maveric 88(almost the same as a 500)( $180 at wally) and grabed a 18" barrel($50 gun show) and a ATI stock ($70 a cabelas) now i have a hunting(witch i almost never do), trap(ocationally do), home defence all in one and for around $300 in the whole thing, all i have to do is swap the barrel and stock around for what ever i need it for. Everything that fits a 500 will fit the maveric 88

I got an 870 home defense / tacticool that I bought... three years ago? Whatever the one with the 18" barrel and magazine tube that extends to the barrel. Bad photo in attached.

I've added a side saddle to it, hogue rubber foregrip, filled the hollow riflestock full of expanding foam to make it flex less, and Norell MolyResined (two part and thermally cured - great stuff, google it) it flat black because the factory bluing sucks.

I haven't shot it a lot because there isn't a good reason to shoot it a lot. It's broken in, but not much more. With the price of buck and slugs, I'd rather run rounds through an AR or a Glock.

PM if you're interested.

Most of the time, people dont sell awesome home defense weapons. Especially if they are tacticool.

I picked up a deal this weekend, winchester model 200 for 40.00

Will rip it down tonight and swap on a Advanced Technologies stock and forend. need to find a slug barrel for it.

I got a 870 with a slug barrel and shell extension I keep close at home. loaded up with the new square shot shells in #2's, #4x2's and 2 slugs at the end.